Grizz 660 cold start

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Well dug out the old grizz from hibernation and well like usual it took half hour to get it running.
Whenever it sits over night or sometimes 5-6 hours it take like a 1/2 hour to get it running the choke seems almost non existent until the thing is warm. It spits so much fuel back into the air box it saturates the filter. When you do get it running you have to sit there and hold the throttle or take it for a 5 min zip when you get back it will start like a new machine the starter barely engages and it's running and it will idle all day like a brand new machine. Anywho I bring it into the garage start ripping it down pull the carb clean it up take apart the bottom end of the carb and change out all the jets for new ones. The carb really wasn't dirty not like a sled carb. Didn't change the needle and seat cause I hate the diaphragm on top of it but I did take it out and cleaned and blew out everything after a carb cleaner bath.

Reassembled everything and still the same hard starting ANY IDEAS???.....think I might have to take it in to get checked out cause now i'm lost

sledn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My griz does the same,I am told that it is usually because it needs the valves adjusted.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For starters I would check to make sure the choke is adjusted properly, and when was the last time you adjusted the valves. I know on my rhino if it sits for a few days in the cold it can be hard to start,.. so I just pump the throttle about 3-5times choke and it will start after a couple seconds of cranking.

It shouldn't be contamination in the tank, or a sticking carb float or you would think it would do it all the time.

It sounds like it's way over fueling and flooding itself.

Last edited:

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
The valves were adjusted at about 500-1000k it now has 5500k on it. I think it is way overfueling also I changed out the float valve and used a calliper to measure it and it was right at 13mm what the book says it should be.

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a re-occurring Griz in my shop. Cheap dude thats a bud. Here is a trick, heat the plug tip up red hot, will it then fire? Runs fine? The electric gurus can explain better than i can on weak spark and how mis-adjusted valves can further weaken the explosive state of fuel under pressure. It can be more than one problem.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If that's the case he can try I believe an NGK iridium 2202 same as my 660 rhino for a better spark.

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
I noticed the last couple times I started it I have been getting a lot of oil smoke on startup which it never did before :confused:

Orrin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I noticed the last couple times I started it I have been getting a lot of oil smoke on startup which it never did before :confused:

My '03 is burning blue on startup as well, it's the valve guide seals. Once they warm up all is good. I'm also having a similar yet not as bad starting problem.

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Got it back today....we'll see if it starts good tomorrow after work

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Float level :confused: should be float level all the time not when it's cold. He is truly stumped by it also he said the carb is bang on perfect ton of spark you could weld with no valve adjustment needed. I'm gonna maybe rip off the exhaust to see if it not full of mud or something dunno what else to do.

The blue smoke was fuel...that cleaned up it not slobbering or burning oil

Last edited:

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Float level :confused: should be float level all the time not when it's cold. He is truly stumped by it also he said the carb is bang on perfect ton of spark you could weld with no valve adjustment needed. I'm gonna maybe rip off the exhaust to see if it not full of mud or something dunno what else to do.

sell it?

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
did you pull the plunger out on your choke ? make sure that its moving all the way ?

easy solution to these craptastic carbs is get a edelbrock carb for your 660.. they are pumper carbs and fix many grizz 660 carb issues.

also you need to make sure they checked both intake and exhaust valve lash as this causes alot of hard start problems.

you could try a hotter plug like the iridium NGK one as well.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
did you pull the plunger out on your choke ? make sure that its moving all the way ?

easy solution to these craptastic carbs is get a edelbrock carb for your 660.. they are pumper carbs and fix many grizz 660 carb issues.

also you need to make sure they checked both intake and exhaust valve lash as this causes alot of hard start problems.

you could try a hotter plug like the iridium NGK one as well.

I would buy an FCR 39mm before an edelbrock

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well what ever. I'm just saying the accelerator pump makes cold starting on these 660s a non issue .. as the stock carbs on a 660 have been known to be SOB's

it also gets rid of the hesitation they have off the line from what Ive read.

chemmod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For one, Grizzleys hate the cold, didn't you know that bears hibernate in the winter...

Mine got ALOT better when I increase the idle (once warmed up and driven for a bit) to a point just below where the clutchs knock abd grind when you shift from neutral or park.

Buddy took it upon himself to mechanical my chit and lowered the idle, wouldn't you know would start without having the herman nelson blowing on it for 2 hours.

Hope that helps!!

GrizzForce

Reaction score
I have a 660 that had the same trouble. Had the carb apart many times and changed all the internals. This still didn't help. Then I was told that some of the 660 carbs have a casting flaw which plugged one of the ports inside which could not be cleaned. So I bought a new carb for it and the bike hasn't missed a beat since. Even in -30 weather when I use it for plowing the bike starts pretty easy.

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yea mines a O7 and they maybe fixed the carbs for cold start on the 07 As I personally can start my bike on the first turn over in any weather temp.

but i know lots of people that can not and alot of them fixed it with a edelbrock carb.

However I do have the Off the Line Bog many have and i heard that is also fixed with the pumper on the edelbrock carb.

I'm interested in FCR mentioned before wonder how that stacks up i know KTM uses them on their 525 Race Quad and a-lot of street bikes use them but i know little of how they differ from other carbs.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yea mines a O7 and they maybe fixed the carbs for cold start on the 07 As I personally can start my bike on the first turn over in any weather temp.

but i know lots of people that can not and alot of them fixed it with a edelbrock carb.

However I do have the Off the Line Bog many have and i heard that is also fixed with the pumper on the edelbrock carb.

I'm interested in FCR mentioned before wonder how that stacks up i know KTM uses them on their 525 Race Quad and a-lot of street bikes use them but i know little of how they differ from other carbs.

They came out I believe because they gave great response and removed the low end bog,..

I know if you put them on a rhino you need a fitting, or cable accessory for it to fit stock parts,.. or something like that. Haven't looked to deep into it,.. but for the price,.. they are an exceptional carb.

Top Bottom