Garage Build....

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Man you must have a HUGE lot! The lots in Penhold are larger than most standard R1 lots in Red Deer....and there's NO way I would have any lawn left to cut if my garage was that big! Gonna be a sweet man-cave....

ah dave didn't we tell ya SIZE MATTERS

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So hears the latest dilemma!!!
Cut the mountain ash down in front of the dormer or leave it? What's your vote? I think cut it down. It looks a little sketchy as it was jammed between two spruce. I think in time it will fill out.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1316235648.684225.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1316235648.684225.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 352
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1316235671.981993.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1316235671.981993.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 364
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1316235704.306906.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1316235704.306906.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 348

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It looks like you're going to pour a sidewalk to tie in both mandoors, so I would chop it now or you'll fight with it forever. It'll end up coming down on your roof eventually anyway.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So hears the latest dilemma!!!
Cut the mountain ash down in front of the dormer or leave it? What's your vote? I think cut it down. It looks a little sketchy as it was jammed between two spruce. I think in time it will fill out.

should have had it relocated prior to building. Sad to see a nice tree like that have to go.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cut it down. If the roots grow into your gradebeam you will have issues. Or even just blows over into the building.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cut it down. If the roots grow into your gradebeam you will have issues. Or even just blows over into the building.

Thanks. we dont get wind in our area, too many surounding trees. It can be 40mph wind on the north hill and we get a small breeze at best. If roots growing into my grade beam will be a problem. I'm f^()ed, we are totally surounded buy trees and not all mine, next door has 2 150foot plus elms and I have tons of big spuce, 4 apple, 6 elm down the side and 5 maple in the front.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Roofer had a guy "retire" so going alttle slow but for a one man show he's doing awesome !

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1316394963.181752.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1316394963.181752.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 292

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Regarding the tree, I would trim the bottom branches and leave the rest of it there. The top will bush out and be a nice addition. I wouldn't worry about roots and the grade beam as the roots were already there when you started and it shouldn't be a progressive problem.

It will have to come down eventually as it will die but that could be a long time and the shade it offers and the filtering of the UV rays could be a good thing.

BTW, great looking build!

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Regarding the tree, I would trim the bottom branches and leave the rest of it there. The top will bush out and be a nice addition. I wouldn't worry about roots and the grade beam as the roots were already there when you started and it shouldn't be a progressive problem.

It will have to come down eventually as it will die but that could be a long time and the shade it offers and the filtering of the UV rays could be a good thing.

BTW, great looking build!

Ya old trees are no problem as the big roots have already grown. A smaller growing tree close is the issue, they can push over concrete walls, or push up floors no problem. However, sap from roots can prevent concrete from curing properly, so much and the concrete will never harden at all.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya old trees are no problem as the big roots have already grown. A smaller growing tree close is the issue, they can push over concrete walls, or push up floors no problem. However, sap from roots can prevent concrete from curing properly, so much and the concrete will never harden at all.

??? I didnt mix sap in with the concrete! It sat for 2 weeks before I could back fill.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score

Okay. The concrete develops 70% of its strength in 7 days. How far does a root grow in that time? After 28 days, the concrete has full strength. I don't think the sap is/will be a problem in this case. Look at the second page of pictures; the tree is well outside of the footing and the grade beam and looks in great shape for going through the construction process. The tree roots are naturally looking for water; how much water is there gonna be under the slab? The roots are gonna go down and find the necessary water to grow.

I think you are blowing smoke at an artificial problem, JMHO

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So, maybe I phrased it wrong, I don't want to be hired, but adopted.

I promise to mow the lawn, take out the garbage, walk the dog, and vaccuum....

Consider it... :)

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So, maybe I phrased it wrong, I don't want to be hired, but adopted.

I promise to mow the lawn, take out the garbage, walk the dog, and vaccuum....

Consider it... :)

Just to be very clear! The below picture is a minimum requirement, anything less is un-adoptable! So if you can pull off that look your in!

Attachments

• zanypickle_humpday_hotties_02.jpg
    zanypickle_humpday_hotties_02.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 305

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Would a 5'10" printout wrapped around me suffice?

Wait a minute, you can choose the size of the printout, if you like taller girls just let me know.

Last edited:
Top Bottom