Building a garage-shop , need help

ctd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The insulation in the foundation is sandwiched between concrete. This wall was 4” concrete, 2” styrofoam, 4” concrete. Depends on the customer but we usually recommend 3” styrofoam in the middle. Then we blow cellulose in the walls.

That is an awesome idea with the concrete wall & the foam inside. Have you would you add a foam board to the exterior wall? I've two reasons, thermal transfer & noise.

ctd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
45-50$/sqft for a stick frame on a 4ft grade beam, finished and insulated. No plumbing or electrical. 20ft walls.

Very little price difference between pole shed and stick frame. Only extra cost is the grade beam and you make up most of that by not buying the pressure treated lumber for the posts.

Would this be the same spec as the building niner posted?

NeilV

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Would this be the same spec as the building niner posted?

Very similar, just a bit bigger. We are going 70x140. 1 - 40x20 powerlift door, 1 - 26x18 overhead, and 1 - 18x18 sunshine door. Infloor heat with 2” insulation under the slab. Might have to talk to the concrete man about pouring the insulation in the grade beam like that. Seems like a real good idea.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The insulation in the foundation is sandwiched between concrete. This wall was 4” concrete, 2” styrofoam, 4” concrete. Depends on the customer but we usually recommend 3” styrofoam in the middle. Then we blow cellulose in the walls.

So the foam is continuous and splits the concrete? That seems really weird, it would comprise the strength tremendously. I would think at the very least you'd need 6" top and bottom where the concrete joins to give it some strength. 2 4" walls isn't going to have much at all. I can't say I follow it as much anymore but i've never seen that done before, it's always foam on the outside or inside after poured.

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So the foam is continuous and splits the concrete? That seems really weird, it would comprise the strength tremendously. I would think at the very least you'd need 6" top and bottom where the concrete joins to give it some strength. 2 4" walls isn't going to have much at all. I can't say I follow it as much anymore but i've never seen that done before, it's always foam on the outside or inside after poured.
If you left 6” of concrete at the top of the wall it would frost up horribly. Ever been in a precast building in the winter with high humidity? You can see everywhere there is no insulation. Our wall has zero breaks in the insulation. The two sides are held together by the spacers that hold the insulation in place and also 10 mm rebar that is from one face to the other. The bottom plate of the wall rests on both sides the concrete as well to disperse the load evenly. The wall is very strong.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive been in hundreds of precast building and never have seen that. Ill look for it now though.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
These precast panels are insulated from top to bottom, corner to corner.
And they get insulated where they join together with foam and sealed air tight with sikaflex.

Screenshot_20220501-221530_Gallery.jpg

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
These precast panels are insulated from top to bottom, corner to corner.
And they get insulated where they join together with foam and sealed air tight with sikaflex.

View attachment 256005
I can show you some dairy barns in the winter that are frosted right up and a shop also. Not saying every precast panel building is like that but there are definitely some out there.

overkill19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The only problem with SM on the outside of a frost wall is keeping the mice out. Rodent control is critical.

I’ve never had a mouse in 8 years. But I guess it’s possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

That’s good if you haven’t seen a mouse in 8 years. They do a lot of damage.

kovs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Enjoy this thread guys
Looking at building shop in next couple years
Thinking 80x100 size
Prob do some ground & utility prep this fall

I’m a floor heat guy. Current shop has it so these insulation ideas are great
Definitely will be in touch with niner as I get closer to pulling trigger on build

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ctd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, good information. In floor heat is mandatory :) I've been seriously thinking ICF until niner posted. Doing some searching I see these sandwich panels not just for in ground walls. That's a new spin on my thought process, the slower transfer of temperature due to the concrete & lower noise is very appealing.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Holy fawk guys

Let's talk insulation now

Quotes I have got are frigging crazy

Well ok , quotes from the building company I bought from are crazy , and not sure what to think

He's got spray foam quotes of 50 grand to do a 30x40 ffs , then 16 grand plus tax for the batt insulation

I've called around and got one quote at 24000 for spray , which sounds like one of the company's the building company got a quote from

How is it double lol

At the start of this , I was told be 3-5 grand for batt , verbal of course

One place was 5.5 a sq ft for spray, that adds up to 16 ish with doors taken out ect by my math

Need help lol

Sent from my SM-G991W using Tapatalk

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We insulated a shop this winter. 64x100 with 20’ walls. 2x8 walls strapped with 2x4. 2 doors 22’ and one 12x14. R50 (16”) in the attic. This is blown in cellulose walls and attic. Was $18000.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think right now some guys are so busy they will just throw crazy numbers out on some jobs knowing they can't do them all and see if some go for it. If you can i'd really consider waiting a few months, I bet come fall things will slow down a ton and prices are going to drop.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think right now some guys are so busy they will just throw crazy numbers out on some jobs knowing they can't do them all and see if some go for it. If you can i'd really consider waiting a few months, I bet come fall things will slow down a ton and prices are going to drop.

There is added cost to winter construction so a guy would really have to weigh that out waiting until fall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
This isn't apples to apples but it will give you an idea about price increase for insulation.
For our sauna R12, 15” and a bag of 98 sq.ft. the cost in November of 2020 - $41 +taxes = $49.20
A bundle of the same thing in May of 2022 - $65 + taxes = $78.00
That’s approximately a 60% increase.

Top Bottom