Building a garage-shop , need help

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I'm perplexed, looking at building a shop , 40x40 with two side 12x40 open storage bays

I've got two quotes that are outrageous for prices in wood framed 130-160000.00 , which includes the pad and footings

Looked at a metal 42x44 commercial building ( 80000.00 ), but then would have to build the side storage bays extra like pole sheds , and wood walls inside with insulation, work benches , plywood to hang stuff on walls ect , plus the pad and footings cost

160000.00 for a garage is crazy is it not ???

Need advice , know there was a thread I kinda lost where it went

Screenshot_20211029-130731_Facebook.jpg

Rn4

Reaction score
It’s honestly just gross what costs are. I had premium built structures out of red deer build me a pole shed early this summer. It was 30x40x14’ with 6” concrete, manual 12’ overhead door. I’ve got basic power and lights in it, no insulation. Probably sitting at about 75-80k. Will pluck away at the rest at my own pace since I can’t dump loads of money at it to fI is hit right away. But they were one of the better quotes I came across.

Frosty19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Todays prices, that doesn't seem far off being $100 a sqft with foundation depending if that's fully finished. That also makes the extra roof and structure for the lean toos throw ins

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I'm perplexed, looking at building a shop , 40x40 with two side 12x40 open storage bays

I've got two quotes that are outrageous for prices in wood framed 130-160000.00 , which includes the pad and footings

Looked at a metal 42x44 commercial building ( 80000.00 ), but then would have to build the side storage bays extra like pole sheds , and wood walls inside with insulation, work benches , plywood to hang stuff on walls ect , plus the pad and footings cost

View attachment 249664
Should price out a 40x60 and ditch the sides. Will be less labour to build one single building than adding the sides. Then you will have more inside storage. Can always do a inside partition if you want cold storage. Just a thought to get more bang for your buck.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Should price out a 40x60 and ditch the sides. Will be less labour to build one single building than adding the sides. Then you will have more inside storage. Can always do a inside partition if you want cold storage. Just a thought to get more bang for your buck.
Huh something to think about

Tough to back trailers in , unless there is a separate entrance , for the cold storage

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Back in the day when I was looking, I found a deal on a metal building package. It had been ordered and a down payment was made on it, but the deal fell thru. I could have picked it up for a heck of a discount. If you shop around maybe you could find similar deals?

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Back in the day when I was looking, I found a deal on a metal building package. It had been ordered and a down payment was made on it, but the deal fell thru. I could have picked it up for a heck of a discount. If you shop around maybe you could find similar deals?
I talked to a different metal building company tonight , after my post here

Csd buildings , outa golden

Very helpful guy , probably enough I'll go with them

He said you have to watch, lots of places have different slow load specs

So say your from mission and order one , don't get it and they are stuck with it

Now you ( not the first dude ) buy it a big discount, get it either put up or ready to with footings and such

Then find out the engineering specs don't pass for the area your in , say revelstoke as example

Now your stuck with it or won't pass inspection, and can not get insurance

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah. That could be a real issue. My neighbour has a huge riding arena with the roof collapsed in right now. Im sure it will be a huge court battle.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

View attachment 249664
So why not just go a little bigger with the metal shop and have everything enclosed, no open bays.....

Frosty19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do prefab engineered not get reviewed for permit there?
We can barely build anything here without an engineered stamp. Seems pretty self explanatory for someone when signing off on a building if they loaded it for the proper snow zone

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes be careful with local codes. They often make little sense in my experience. My brother in law put up a pole barn a few year ago and because he was "residential" at 9.98 acres he had to follow different rules then if he was "agricultural" at 10+ acres. Specifically I think he said he needed almost twice as many trusses due to the different spacing allowed. You'll also have to watch out for max square footage rules depending what other structures you have on the land

ctd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thinking about niner's comment, any prep that could be done @ the same time to add a side or sides @ a latter date?

Add an overhead door on the side were you actually may do a side @ a latter date. That overhead door would be opposite end of your main overhead door. Access to both ends of the building.

I don't see any mention of ceiling height, one of biggest regrets has been not having @ least one 14' overhead door.

Have you considered ICF? Fire, bugs rodents etc. never mind R factor & others. I'm starting to think about building shop & wondered what the cost is vs stick considering todays market.

Then there is tilt up, don't know if that is an option anymore.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do prefab engineered not get reviewed for permit there?
We can barely build anything here without an engineered stamp. Seems pretty self explanatory for someone when signing off on a building if they loaded it for the proper snow zone
Yes , it will be built to spec for here , as it's not a left over

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thinking about niner's comment, any prep that could be done @ the same time to add a side or sides @ a latter date?

Add an overhead door on the side were you actually may do a side @ a latter date. That overhead door would be opposite end of your main overhead door. Access to both ends of the building.

I don't see any mention of ceiling height, one of biggest regrets has been not having @ least one 14' overhead door.

Have you considered ICF? Fire, bugs rodents etc. never mind R factor & others. I'm starting to think about building shop & wondered what the cost is vs stick considering todays market.

Then there is tilt up, don't know if that is an option anymore.

12 x12 door

14 foot walls , 16.6 at tip of peak

12 foot t rafters on inside , side storage bays

He said they can sonic tube the footings where each beam is , 6 big ones

I asked about cold and doing the deep insulated footings, he said not really needed or warmer if the base plates are done right

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stay away from the prefabbed steel buildings.
I went that way. Thought it was a cheaper option.
Nope.
I'm un insulated and into mine for just under 80.
And being no posts inside and selves and hooks or outlets on the walls are screwed through the wall and permanent now.
Neighbor built the same size, out of wood. He's insulated and heated at the same price I was.

40 long 30 wide. 16 at the peak. 8ft walls

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you need an Alaskan mill.

Just start bucking down some cedars & maker yourself. haha
Sold 7 loads off the property of fir

Thought of that , but needs time to dry and also needs to be manufactured wood for insurance purposes

Top Bottom