Garage floor water management

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Our garage floor has a slight slope to one side so all the snow/rain water coming off the vehicles causes pooling in three spots along the wall. I have options, but also seeking advice.

Can build a berm along the wall, let it pool and squeegee it out.
Can core holes in the three spots and let it drain under ground. I have done the research and freezing is not an issue under slab, nor are settling issues as the garage has settled for many years. There are no automotive fluids so the environmental aspect is addressed.
Can use a polymer modified cement specific to this type of application to level the floor but the water will just move to another place.

Leaning towards coring holes.

Get your big brains fired up.....looking for opinions, suggestions.

Eldereldo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I assume freezing is not an issue because the garage is heated?

when we built our house I put a catch trough in the middle bay and had the slab slanted towards it so all the water would drain into it. My slab is heated so the wate just evaporates over night. Sounds like coring holes would probably do the same for you.

whiteline

Reaction score
I know the dilemma you have, when we bought our place, they had put a bunch of holes in the garage floor to deal with the same type of problem. The water ran to some of them but it did a poor job, required a lot of squeegee work and plugged up a lot. We found out the hard way that this problem had persisted for a long time and ended up re-pouring the whole floor after fixing the rotted out studs in the wall.

I was originally going to do the berm you are thinking of until we realized water was also coming in from outside. So berm and squeegee would be my 2 cents

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Grind small groove in floor out to the door?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
This. Make a 1.5" deep or so and wide channel that has a grade to it then drill a sump. I'm guessing that the pad is only 4" thick so I would drill a foot or two of earth out, and fill it with 1" washed rock. It should drain well for you for awhile so long as you don't push too much dirt into it.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Ron H

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just got a cheapie shop vac 10 gallon (make sure it can suck water though)....otherwise your driveway becomes a skating rink if you squeegee it out the door....

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just got a cheapie shop vac 10 gallon (make sure it can suck water though)....otherwise your driveway becomes a skating rink if you squeegee it out the door....

Or a young girl

Bigblack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Containment Mats | Garage Mats | Garage Flooring | Canada Mats

I put one of these under the ol'Lady's rig in the attached garage last year....work great. If she gets a big buildup of snow for a couple of days in a row I vacuum the water out with the shop vac...other wise the garage heat (o/h forced air) takes car of the usual mudflap/fender/wheel snow melt.

Last edited:

meierjn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

That's what I do. Whoever poured my garage floor certainly ensured that the water ran anywhere but to the center of the pad!

meierjn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This. Make a 1.5" deep or so and wide channel that has a grade to it then drill a sump. I'm guessing that the pad is only 4" thick so I would drill a foot or two of earth out, and fill it with 1" washed rock. It should drain well for you for awhile so long as you don't push too much dirt into it.

What would you use to cut or grind a smooth groove?

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That would be a good question for a custom concrete guy. Myself I would use a concrete saw. You can get blades that fit a 4.5 or 5" grinder too.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That would be the ultimate solution, but one problem......this project is on the "thrifty as Pozzy" budget!

Looked at the mats last year, but don't like the idea of any pooled water. Humidity stays too high in garage.

Have thought about grooves etc. A few options to weigh.

Thanks!

Zrr just get It epoxy it self levels and you can build slope or just grind out the high spots Hilti makes a disc that could grind it flat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
dealing with the same issue, I also have to get one corner lifted/leveled where the concrete has cracked.

I was planning to start with the leveling and while those guys are out pick their brain about the drainage issue, mine all runs to different spots depending on where it hits the floor. The best solution would be to re-do the whole floor with slope to the middle but that's a big project and would require the removal of a wall.

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hard rock concrete in Calgary rents a awesome Skill saw with wheels. Cuts super straight and easy to use. If you don't have a hard rock up there I am reasonable sure there will be a specialty concrete shop that will have one.
What would you use to cut or grind a smooth groove?

Top Bottom