Garage floor drains

towerrigger

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks like winter is coming and once again I am scrambling to finish summer projects that were on the list. Last winter I had a serious issue with water pooling by the garage doors and buggering up the seals. Garage wasn't heated last year and this year it will be so I can only assume it's going to get worse. The garage currently does not have any type of drain right now. I would like to install a grate type drain before each door and have them flow into a hole with a bucket in that I could pull out periodically to get rid of the water. Has anyone done something like this in a existing garage floor? Is there a product that anyone has used before that worked well? Most of the products I have found are to be installed before floor is poured.

CJR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought a mat for my garage from a truck outfitter that has elevated edges to collect the water from my vehicle. Once a month I use the shop vac and clean it off. Cheap solution!

Grinder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the mat with the raised edges. I put card board in it to soak up the water and the furnace does a great job of drying it out.

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Looks like winter is coming and once again I am scrambling to finish summer projects that were on the list. Last winter I had a serious issue with water pooling by the garage doors and buggering up the seals. Garage wasn't heated last year and this year it will be so I can only assume it's going to get worse. The garage currently does not have any type of drain right now. I would like to install a grate type drain before each door and have them flow into a hole with a bucket in that I could pull out periodically to get rid of the water. Has anyone done something like this in a existing garage floor? Is there a product that anyone has used before that worked well? Most of the products I have found are to be installed before floor is poured.

I did it got a square chunk of grating and cut a square same size with a concrete saw dug out the gravel under and put a home depot bucket think they are about 3.5 /4 gallons make sure the top was same thickness of the grating to the grating is level with the floor so you don't trip on it poured concrete around the bucket level with the top of it.... and voila works awesome. Usually have to bail it out once in the fall after a heavy wet snow and once or twice in the spring with the slush. It has frozen on me one time in the winter when it was full all i did was heat up a kettle of water and dumped it on to make a bit of a hole then put a small fish tank heater in and over night it was liquid and let off a fog in the garage...all in all cost about $20 ...LOL

towerrigger

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, would like to stay away from the mats. I did the epoxy flooring last summer, I know, I should of done this before doing the epoxy. Murms method is similar to what I was thinking of doing. I'll post results once I get er done.

frozensoutherner

Reaction score
I did it got a square chunk of grating and cut a square same size with a concrete saw dug out the gravel under and put a home depot bucket think they are about 3.5 /4 gallons make sure the top was same thickness of the grating to the grating is level with the floor so you don't trip on it poured concrete around the bucket level with the top of it.... and voila works awesome. Usually have to bail it out once in the fall after a heavy wet snow and once or twice in the spring with the slush. It has frozen on me one time in the winter when it was full all i did was heat up a kettle of water and dumped it on to make a bit of a hole then put a small fish tank heater in and over night it was liquid and let off a fog in the garage...all in all cost about $20 ...LOL

Do you think this same idea would work if i had someone core a hole the same size as a HD bucket then follow the same routine with the steel grate and empty the bucket when needed.
I'm assuming you just picked the lowest point in the floor and put it there?

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you think this same idea would work if i had someone core a hole the same size as a HD bucket then follow the same routine with the steel grate and empty the bucket when needed.
I'm assuming you just picked the lowest point in the floor and put it there?

No, no, no! Floor drains go in the highest spot! At least that's where all mine are! :rant:

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why are you guys bailing out your buckets? Get in there and drill a few holes in them. For the minimal amount of water that's going to drain through there and into the base gravel, it'll never hurt it. My last garage was set up that way and was nearly 30 years old and no problems. My builder even said it was fine and do it after we moved in to the new one.

senorjeem

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Could always make a pair of parallel sawcuts from your low spot to the outside wall and drop in a drain line. Redo the missing piece with silcrete and you are good to go. I did mine from new and ran it into a dry well that had a tandem load of pit run in it

Vipertonytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yvezy8e7.jpg
. This is what I did in existing garage slab. Cut out with a concrete saw. Dug in two feet below grade and formed in a box. Poured sump in and put grate on top. Bought a submersible sump pump from Princess auto and when it fills I put pump in with garden hose and pump it into the trees beside my garage. Works great. Little squeegee work after the sleds drip off and all is good

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/29/yvezy8e7.jpg. This is what I did in existing garage slab. Cut out with a concrete saw. Dug in two feet below grade and formed in a box. Poured sump in and put grate on top. Bought a submersible sump pump from Princess auto and when it fills I put pump in with garden hose and pump it into the trees beside my garage. Works great. Little squeegee work after the sleds drip off and all is good

I like the simplicity of that solution.

Sent from my phone ---- is anyone listening ?

pete gads

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just core a 8in hole in floor between both doors,dig out as much dirt sand as can then fill with 3/4 or 1in washed gravel. Then cut about 3in groove in front of both doors to hole, (not all way through concrete, just couple inches down) so water can run to this hole. Just let water soak into ground. Will never have a problem. Make grate to cover hole and grooves. Buy good squeege

Top Bottom