First ride on a 850.. Little disappointed to say the least

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Swamped with a buddy this last week for a few hrs on his 165 850 with 200km in it:d:d.. I handed the 174 t3 to him with bakers skid and impulse.. Yes I know it not that fare.

i might have have came into it with more anticipation, than I should have, but after a few seconds I guess I was a little let down.. Throttle response was ok, but first thoughts were it was not a responsive as the older 880 ptec was.. Seamed to come out of snow ok, but could quickly feel where 174 had more bite to the snow..

almost could not beleve how erratic or loose the sled felt.. Like you could flick it effortlessly, this to me was its biggest downside, we were running threw trees in decent untouch snow with a base a few feet under and the sled felt to me like it was on ice.. Where you were constantly over steering, this flick able sled was darting back and forth and ended up taking much more control than what I wanted to give it for me to stay in control

then in the steep with track speed max, and ground speed slowing, there just was no way you could properly control it, the skid is almost a joke for this sled, since feedback from it is constantly the main control of how one has to drive it..

In in the steep with skis two feet in the air and one trying to side hill with balence control and throttle is so different than what the older t3 174 and bakers skid has to offer, where you feel ten times more stable..

talking with racers edge, Darrel was telling me where guys have got rid of there G4 over this very problem and went back to the t3, I can now understand why.. I see why he has sold more skids this year than ever to first year flagship sleds.. And why guys are upset after spending 16k on a purpose built sled, and then need to buy another skid, thus the other problems with belts, and bulkheads.. Are these sleds being proper tested before release?.

also felt like running boards were a bit narrow, or more narrow than I had wanted them to be near the front..

Latter in in the day we found a few good steep and deep spots in the trees and were able to see how sleds compared and once again the G4 even with limiter strap sucked up, was just right out of control darting where others went strait threw the woops and up.. Even the Poo had the edge there

think first and and formost a proper skid is needed, doo missed the boat again with this old junk they have in there now... With driver on seat rear skid sunk four inches.. 😂They need to put a decent skid like baker sells and not look back.. Save so many other problems for them.. And all the extra money and frustration for there customers.. And other than that sled felt ok, power was ok,, track options for next year I hope has a longer option, the 165 is to short in the deep and would help in handling, and stability

Not even sure if they will have this corrected enough by 18 to have me buy..

All the the excitment of the new power plant, It was sucked out after a few hrs..

Jgibos

Reaction score
I know im not buying a 2018 ski doo after my experiences with the 2017 ski doo 850

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kinda like comparing a muscle car to a Hyundai fred? Of course you won't like the stability going from a longer track, more power and a coupled aftermarket skid that doesn't allow the ski's to lift more than a couple inches. For the demographic that doesn't want to just climb in a straight line from point A -B this sled fits the bill in the tree's and on the slopes in all cambered positions. I give you the skid argument for steep climbing. Its not for me and would like to see some compromise from the manufacturer to make the sled behave better for us older riders but the younger guys seem to love it. You need transfer to be in the trees. A 174 with a coupled skid knows one direction and that is straight without a lot of driver effort. That is why I don't ride one anymore.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
My understanding with the skid was that next year, 2018, there would be major changes there. They changed nearly everything but the skid for the '17 model. What will they come up with; maybe nothing, maybe something, or maybe just a new stronger bulk head?

The skid is the same as it has been since the tMotion came out in 2013. Probably time of an upgrade.

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Powwow, no need to sling insults at people and if you're going to, at least spell you're correctly!!

If the skid sunk 4 inches, the springs are not set to the correct tension.

It takes a bit to get used to the g4 chassis coming from an xm, you'll likely over ride it like most riders did when they jumped on.

Last edited:

kanedog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kanedog 2015-2019, thanks for the good times S&M!
It's a free world to offer opinions powwow pow but can you elaborate on why you think Fred's review was dumb?
Do you have a different opinion on the sled? Did you have a different 850 ride experience? Do tell.
Please provide evidence why Fred is an idiot and why his review is dumb.
You might be his friend and poking fun at him so if your comment is just that it's pretty funny.

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
Swamped with a buddy this last week for a few hrs on his 165 850 with 200km in it:d:d.. I handed the 174 t3 to him with bakers skid and impulse.. Yes I know it not that fare.

i might have have came into it with more anticipation, than I should have, but after a few seconds I guess I was a little let down.. Throttle response was ok, but first thoughts were it was not a responsive as the older 880 ptec was.. Seamed to come out of snow ok, but could quickly feel where 174 had more bite to the snow..

almost could not beleve how erratic or loose the sled felt.. Like you could flick it effortlessly, this to me was its biggest downside, we were running threw trees in decent untouch snow with a base a few feet under and the sled felt to me like it was on ice.. Where you were constantly over steering, this flick able sled was darting back and forth and ended up taking much more control than what I wanted to give it for me to stay in control

then in the steep with track speed max, and ground speed slowing, there just was no way you could properly control it, the skid is almost a joke for this sled, since feedback from it is constantly the main control of how one has to drive it..

In in the steep with skis two feet in the air and one trying to side hill with balence control and throttle is so different than what the older t3 174 and bakers skid has to offer, where you feel ten times more stable..

talking with racers edge, Darrel was telling me where guys have got rid of there G4 over this very problem and went back to the t3, I can now understand why.. I see why he has sold more skids this year than ever to first year flagship sleds.. And why guys are upset after spending 16k on a purpose built sled, and then need to buy another skid, thus the other problems with belts, and bulkheads.. Are these sleds being proper tested before release?.

also felt like running boards were a bit narrow, or more narrow than I had wanted them to be near the front..

Latter in in the day we found a few good steep and deep spots in the trees and were able to see how sleds compared and once again the G4 even with limiter strap sucked up, was just right out of control darting where others went strait threw the woops and up.. Even the Poo had the edge there

think first and and formost a proper skid is needed, doo missed the boat again with this old junk they have in there now... With driver on seat rear skid sunk four inches.. They need to put a decent skid like baker sells and not look back.. Save so many other problems for them.. And all the extra money and frustration for there customers.. And other than that sled felt ok, power was ok,, track options for next year I hope has a longer option, the 165 is to short in the deep and would help in handling, and stability

Not even sure if they will have this corrected enough by 18 to have me buy..

All the the excitment of the new power plant, It was sucked out after a few hrs..

Your comparing a 174 3" to a 165" in steep and deep and you are surprised the 174 had more BITE in the snow? And I dont care what Ptek you are talking about if you are comparing the throttle response to an 850 you are so far out to lunch you are eating supper. Its definitely a lot more nimble and hard to get used to than the XM but I think you are confusing stability with agility. Just because something TIPS easy doesn't mean its garbage... Anybody can make a sled really narrow and have it fall over all the time... Its the control you get once you get used to it that makes it what it is. If I were to only get a half day on ANY sled with changes that were that significant and had to make a review I would hate the thing too!

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If Fred hates it, It must be good!

Actually I did try a G4 for a short ride, felt good to me but I am used to the Polaris. There are 2 riding styles for sledding. 1. Ride it like an ATV. always flat and parallel to the terrain (e.g. trail riding, meadows, straight up climbs, anything you can do sitting down) , with 2 skis solidly planted unless they are up in the air together. 2. Sled is tipped into the hill or corner, basically most of the time on 1 ski. This is way easier to initiate by counter-steer and a little track spin. Not ideal with 174 x 3" tracks.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

limiter sucked up... people seriously still do this, pretty 90's logic for suspension tuning.

kanedog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
limiter sucked up... people seriously still do this, pretty 90's logic for suspension tuning.
Yes, in fact it is so dumb that Brp came out with an adjustable limiter strap this year. Maybe get a hold of them and let them know that they are so behind in the suspension tuning game.
Come to think of it, while you are schooling brp on adjustable limiter straps, maybe call up the other 3 manufacturers and let them know that they do not have drill holes in the limiter straps anymore. They'll prolly cut you a big fat check for saving them so much labor on drilling limiter strap holes.

Last edited:

Rulonjj

Reaction score
I feel the exact opposite about the G4. It's super easy to get on edge and then it stays on edge very well and is VERY predictable. Just as predictable as my axys. The power is awesome for a stock sled and it gets on top of the snow and just moves. You've been bitching and moaning about no 174 G4 so your review doesn't surprise me.

catrutt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know a guy that spent the money on a Baker skid and hated it because it was only good going up hills in a line .

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, in fact it is so dumb that Brp came out with an adjustable limiter strap this year. Maybe get a hold of them and let them know that they are so behind in the suspension tuning game.
Come to think of it, while you are schooling brp on adjustable limiter straps, maybe call up the other 3 manufacturers and let them know that they do not have drill holes in the limiter straps anymore. They'll prolly cut you a big fat check for saving them so much labor on drilling limiter strap holes.
IIRC my old rev had a knob on the end of the limiter you could crank to adjust it lol.

kanedog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fred offers his honest opinion about a doo and the it turns into an episode of "attack of the doolaiders."
Doolaiders slam Fred with the likes of
"Idiot"
"Dumb"
"90's tuner"
"Bitcher"
"Moaner"
"Don't know how to setup susoension"
"So far out to lunch you are eating supper"
"Fred's 174 3" is not ideal to initiate a side hill by counter steer and a little track spin."
" some guy can't ride an xm and blamed it on the skid"
"No real basis in reality"
"Hater"
"Truly not accurate"
"Comments cannot be taken seriously"
"Rides like only 1% of the sledding population"
"You have unusual likes"
"G4 is superior in belt life, bulkhead strength and warranty claims"
"My g4 doesn't wheelie at all"

Wow. Doo owners get really defensive. So funny. I'm shocked that there wasn't a "he doesn't even have a wrap on his sled" comment.

Last edited:

Rulonjj

Reaction score
Fred offers his honest opinion about a doo and the it turns into an episode of "attack of the doolaiders."
Doolaiders slam Fred with the likes of
"Idiot"
"Dumb"
"90's tuner"
"Bitcher"
"Moaner
"Don't know how to setup susoension"
"So far out to lunch you are eating supper"
"Fred's 174 3" is not ideal to initiate a side hill by counter steer and a little track spin."
" some guy can't ride and blamed it on the skid"

Wow. Doo owners get really defensive. So funny.

And what are you doing?....

oh that's right. Getting defensive over people giving their opinions.

Top Bottom