First ride on a 850.. Little disappointed to say the least

Ray509

Reaction score
Yeah G4 probably be a good sled , especially if you're 5 ft 7 ish , 150 lbs ( with a beer belly) , little chicken arms, pencil neck, and favor bunny hills and meadow hoppin and making scaredy cat videos of tree skipping cause you're scared to climb a real hill , and even if you could work up the stones, the $hitty floppy suspension would flip you on your toque over backwards before you even get to the steep stuff.
If, you don't hit a (wait for it ) wait, wait, PINECONE on your way to the cabin. Hahahahaha. Me funny !!!!!

Sounds like my kinda sled , prob snowcheck one, head out and watch the duches climb those real hills, watch that sled flipping down its the best part, I like to guess the parts flying off, seat , thats the hood, ouuu gas tank don't see that to often, cheers to keeping the shops and heli's busy boys. hey wait a minute arnt those real hill climber guys the same guys drivin' those real truks with those real trailers , jack-knifing em in the trail tryin' to get shi* done, ya ya'll is tha mans'

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like my kinda sled , prob snowcheck one, head out and watch the duches climb those real hills, watch that sled flipping down its the best part, I like to guess the parts flying off, seat , thats the hood, ouuu gas tank don't see that to often, cheers to keeping the shops and heli's busy boys. hey wait a minute arnt those real hill climber guys the same guys drivin' those real truks with those real trailers , jack-knifing em in the trail tryin' to get shi* done, ya ya'll is tha mans'

Fine, but Don't sit all day in the middle of the run-out lane in your white oakleys and bright coloured onesey and screw up the guys having fun climbing, sit off to the side and point and laugh from there. It is a lot safer in the trees, unless you scratch your new wrap. LOL.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some of Fred's comments on the unpredictable handling and poor rear suspension are actually valid. The two that I rode I felt that the tmotion and flex edge were no longer needed. I felt that the G4 did a very good job popping out of the snow.

As far as performance I felt that the engine was responsive on bottom and mid but felt like the 800 on top end, so I was disappointed on the turnout track speed, (under 40) we were in revy so it was deep but I expected more, but clutching should fix that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kanedog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kanedog 2015-2019, thanks for the good times S&M!
Some of Fred's comments on the unpredictable handling and poor rear suspension are actually valid. The two that I rode I felt that the tmotion and flex edge were no longer needed. I felt that the G4 did a very good job popping out of the snow.

As far as performance I felt that the engine was responsive on bottom and mid but felt like the 800 on top end, so I was disappointed on the turnout track speed, (under 40) we were in revy so it was deep but I expected more, but clutching should fix that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brace yourself.

Last edited:

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was disappointed at first but the more seat time I get the happier I am with it.. For older guys like me who were used to the straight pulls the T3 felt way more familiar! The G4 doesn't really shine until you push the sled in technical riding requiring it to hold an edge in some ****ty treed line.. That's were I found it to be far better than the 174t3. If your gunna just cruise around looking for lines to poke then maybe stick with the old chassis!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I smashed my s module on my t3 coming down eagles trail over Christmas. I got to spend two days on an 850. With that said the sled is definitely an improvement over the t3 for mountain riding, same as the t3 was over the standard xm. It hooks up
better in the snow, gets on top of the snow quicker. I think most of it is due to clutching and the 3.5 pitch track. The engine is the smoothest power delivery two stroke I have ever driven. Almost feels electric, the xm you can feel when the power valves open. The demo we took up had 0 km at start of trip, had 420km at 9% break in at end of trip with multiple riders hopping on it to give it ago and had no belt issues. I'm impressed with the 850.

Last edited:

etecheaven

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i rode a G4 this year, its an improvement and i really like it, but by no means is it the game changer the xm was coming from that water buffalo of an XP. The G4 doesnt make me think i made a huge mistake not snow checking one like the XM did when it first came out and this is before all the problems starting coming out. Will spend some more time riding one this weekend, but i honestly don't think ill be snow checking one until 2019. Doo will only release BNG and fixes in 2018.

Cheers

So i spent another weekend testing out a G4 165. I have to score the sled much higher this time as i was able to really work it under blue skies vs sock in trees last time. Played with the suspension setup a bit and by the end of the day i was in love. I am able to do things on this sled i wish i could do on my XM. I was busting sh*t hooks on a 35 degree slope in over a foot of fresh and didnt miss a beat and trench in like my xm. I can totally understand how Burandt busts those whips on the hills and rips away.

I can also understand the terms being thrown around that this sled is a weapon WEAPON!

I hope they fix these issues cause i really really really want to buy one next year. My XM just doesnt cut it anymore.

RRolsma

Reaction score
Great review if you are a point and shoot rider and like a foot on each board and your a$$ planted on the seat all day... Sounds like Freddy needs a nytro, nice wide boards and PLANTED.

A few minutes into riding an 850 I knew it was something special, the throttle response is ridiculous when compared to the stock cat and poo. Its glued to the hillside and doesnt wash out like the XM, so easy to elevator down or turn and climb up, it just never fights you like previous doos. It is so predictable in comparison to the XM, you just have to ride the sled and not let it ride you.

Looking forward to the aftermarket coming out with a narrow board set for the Gen4. They are way too wide for technical riding (AKA leaving the trail and pushing these sleds to their limits on edge) and there is room to pull in the plastics and narrow these things 2.5" on each side, this will be HUGE in making this sled even more capable of holding a steep sidehill.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been riding in Wyoming last week, few more 850s with us and one of the riders was very talented, could make that sled dance and sidehill like no other.. after talking my with him I found out he was 150lbs soak and wet.. fun to watch.. the other was on a turbo and kmod skid and it was not as flickable, but still fun to ride for a bigger guy.. don't have a problem with the t3 in the trees the sidehilling myself so no need to change yet.. but yes it probably takes more energy over G4

only one belt belt blown over three days on 850s..owner was happy with that�� Breakin was almost over..

watching temps closely with heat gun compared to t3 pulling similar good lines, does not look like secondary or an allinment problem, more so the primary becoming the big heat source.. wether it's the primary or engine crank stub causing excessive to primary.. yet to be determined..

owner is getting older tra machined to fit G4, to elelminate source

CodyR

Reaction score
We love our 850s i think its an improvement from the XM in a big way and i like it more than the Polaris too!
Here was some fun last week we are all off break in on our 850's zero belts lost just added venting and ripped out foam.
https://youtu.be/4i-N1a2U6MY

tstams

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.crashheadz.com
So the new G4 costs $16,000 has a 180 hp at sea level. I have a AXYS with the turbo on it installed running 200 hp at what ever altitude you desire to ride that day for $18,500 it has 163,3 inch . And my bulkhead is still in one piece and haven't blown one belt. Again tell me how superior a Skidoo is, I really do not care what somebody rides but the fact all you guys come on a website and bitch and complain about a gentleman's opinion is is ridiculous. Everyone likes a different sled for a different reason every sled has its negatives and its positives. Grow up and take some criticism.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So the new G4 costs $16,000 has a 180 hp at sea level. I have a AXYS with the turbo on it installed running 200 hp at what ever altitude you desire to ride that day for $18,500 it has 163,3 inch . And my bulkhead is still in one piece and haven't blown one belt. Again tell me how superior a Skidoo is, I really do not care what somebody rides but the fact all you guys come on a website and bitch and complain about a gentleman's opinion is is ridiculous. Everyone likes a different sled for a different reason every sled has its negatives and its positives. Grow up and take some criticism.

No one needs to tell you anything, you had to turbo to keep up... lol

CodyR

Reaction score
I have a friend who lives in revy and is non turbo he rides hard... last season he ate 2? belts lol on his axys and the same thing on another bran new one this season. So i dunno if its really a skidoo issue isolated issue. My 850 has ate zero belts in 500km all deep snow.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got my 850 back with new bulkheads (no more warranty ones I was told). Took the sway bar out also and cranked shocks to #4.
Tightened limiter strap two from stock and front shock left alone.
Rear springs full hard, front end still lifts a bit much.
A little loose on the trail in the corners.
Once up top it is fine.

I really like the power the handling is good and it undeniably out performs my 14XM.
350km on first belt but lots of dust......
Needs more pin weight - over revs to easily almost anywhere.
Gauge almost impossible to read to watch revs.
Been back in the saddle two days and dam I like this sled when it is running.
It is as good as advertised............when it is running trouble free - and there are other threads for that topic.

Last edited:

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yesterday mess.. Half hr to get cords out of clutches.. Primary very hot..

last i I heard Rene's still out a sled, not sure what shut his motor down, and over ten belts since new..few others waiting on bulkhead parts

My Impuse t3 now over 2000km boosted and maybe the third belt, it's been so long I can't remember when it was replaced, and ran in line to its big brother the 850

some are having no problems but some are..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 246

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Where did you find a 850 with 180hp. Lol maybe 170.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tstams

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.crashheadz.com
Where did you find a 850 with 180hp. Lol maybe 170.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Gave the skidoo gentleman the benefit of the doubt, must really suck going out everyride hoping that your bulkhead doesnt crack in half, I really like how skidoo isnt covering them now also. Didnt need the turbo to keep up Im more of a heavier set guy so i needed the extra hp, my little cousin on his 2014 pro with a fix kit and a head eats t3 sleds alive when climbing, wouldnt be suprised if he did the same to the g4s, had a few gentleman with 850s sitting watching us climb in fernie although I had my very modified pro rmk out and was going farther then a stock g4 could ever dream of was dissapointed they didnt even try, Probably would of hurt there ego to much

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gave the skidoo gentleman the benefit of the doubt, must really suck going out everyride hoping that your bulkhead doesnt crack in half, I really like how skidoo isnt covering them now also. Didnt need the turbo to keep up Im more of a heavier set guy so i needed the extra hp, my little cousin on his 2014 pro with a fix kit and a head eats t3 sleds alive when climbing, wouldnt be suprised if he did the same to the g4s, had a few gentleman with 850s sitting watching us climb in fernie although I had my very modified pro rmk out and was going farther then a stock g4 could ever dream of was dissapointed they didnt even try, Probably would of hurt there ego to much

:biglaugh::biglaugh::alol2::alol2:

Top Bottom