Electrical issue

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yupp i finally finished up last week parked the trailer around back..... just sitting around doing not much at the moment as well

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Fire is started. Battery is charged and when it is warm enough, I will start to check out the simple things; free wheeling winch, connections, corrosion, etc. before I get too serious.

IMG_3833.jpg IMG_3834.jpg

IMG_3835.jpg

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well at least close the door on the fridge so they are ready when you finish this thing.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your winch is the problem for sure, I have 8 wraps on my winch for plowing ..4 ft of winch cable. Good call imdoo'n

Likely not the problem but it sure helps, with running the battery down. He did say he had two service guys look at it saying everything was good!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Okay, quad won't run when I disconnect the battery. So no charging is happening. Motor is running on the battery. The part shown beside the battery (4011251 and they call it a switch-magnetic if built before 1/10/05) has some rusty terminals. I will clean and reassemble.

Tex, the box you asked about is black. It is in the second picture.

IMG_3837 (1).jpg IMG_3836.jpg

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Well at least close the door on the fridge so they are ready when you finish this thing.

I bet you that is the reason his winch is not working so well….. beer fridge door is open LOL

No beer in fridge. I've been waiting for Ray or Larry to bring over free Alberta beer for this retired ol' fart to enjoy some of the finer things in life! They keep talking about all the enjoyment they have and even seem to have fun collecting cans/bottles. They have quite the life!

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hopefully that will fix the problem? Who did the initial testing of the electrical

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sometimes beer helps, other times i get into more trouble

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No beer in fridge. I've been waiting for Ray or Larry to bring over free Alberta beer for this retired ol' fart to enjoy some of the finer things in life! They keep talking about all the enjoyment they have and even seem to have fun collecting cans/bottles. They have quite the life!
I heard they don't drive in the snow... might be waitin' for awhile.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Okay, quad won't run when I disconnect the battery. So no charging is happening. Motor is running on the battery. The part shown beside the battery (4011251 and they call it a switch-magnetic if built before 1/10/05) has some rusty terminals. I will clean and reassemble.

Tex, the box you asked about is black. It is in the second picture.

View attachment 191487 View attachment 191488
Nope that's a jumper buss

The finned one behind it that is silver is the voltage regulator, and that's the newer style one

The 3 yellow wires are the stator feed wires

If u want I can e mail wiring diagram that I have for my buddy I got from rainy creek

They were the only place that would give the info too..

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Nope that's a jumper buss

The finned one behind it that is silver is the voltage regulator, and that's the newer style one

The 3 yellow wires are the stator feed wires

If u want I can e mail wiring diagram that I have for my buddy I got from rainy creek

They were the only place that would give the info too..

Before we get too serious, how can I test the voltage regulator?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Hopefully that will fix the problem? Who did the initial testing of the electrical

Mike, the tech at Cernovus in Pincher (that testing may not be reliable) and Will, the tech at Mr.R's. When Will tested it and replaced the starter, everything was good for all of last winter expect for running down the battery. Like I said initially, back and forth at slow speeds and working the winch isn't a good combination for getting a charge back in the battery.

Obviously, with it shutting off when I disconnect the battery, there is something amiss in the charging system.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Does this seem right? When I put the tester on the winch connections and run the winch in, there is a voltage draw. When I reverse the winch, there is no voltage draw. Seems strange to me. Why isn't there a voltage draw in reverse?

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
when motor is running 1/4 throttle Doug check voltage at battery should be 13.8 or more

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Easy way to eliminate the stator-----disconnect three yellow wries going into your voltage reg, with an AMP meter check to see what amps are coming from your stator at idle. should be 13.8 to 15 amps. If you have good amps.......with a charged battery installed......check to see if you have 12.8 volts coming down to the voltage reg from the battery.

Top Bottom