Electrical issue

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The first three words of the OP told me all I need to know. Sell to Yar. Cheap. Problem solved. You're welcome!

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Winch shouldn't kill the battery like that. You have a charging issue. Check all your battery connections. Take each one off and clean then reinstall. Check your voltage with a multimeter. You can also check it while running the winch. If you have or borrow a amp clamp you can check the current draw and also what your machine is putting out. A easy test if you don't have the equipment is to start the machine up then disconnect the battery. It should stay running. If it does then the machine isn't charging and is only running off the battery

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey ferniesnow, my buddy had his voltage regulator start on fire, same year ect

Under the front cover over the rad, there's a box mounted there and there was a recall for it

His was shown done by polaris for recall but it was never done and had black box not a silver box

He has byotched to polaris enough as per my instructions that they are looking after it

Cause the box also controls the rad fan and his shows hot, the fan screws around, but isn't hot yet

Take a pic and text it to me of the undercover in front

Last edited:

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Put a voltmeter on the battery at idle.
Then increase rpm and see if you get a voltage change
Then at idle try your headlights and see if you get a change.
If all those check out try your winch at idle. It sounds like your charging system is not working correctly.

old mountain man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you do a hard pull with your new winch? Sometimes the cable will put enough pressure on the sides that it will put extra load on the winch all the time. Will it free spool out easily?

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Some good ideas for Fernie to try. Cables and connections are a must to check not just at the battery but ALL connections. Powers and grounds. It sits for long periods of time?

Now a little off topic. Is it registered in BC?? LOL

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Some good ideas for Fernie to try. Cables and connections are a must to check not just at the battery but ALL connections. Powers and grounds. It sits for long periods of time?

Now a little off topic. Is it registered in BC?? LOL

Hahahahaha...............that is registered in BC. When I registered it we didn't have to pay tax on the purchase price but rather on market value. Naturally, it wasn't appraised at a high value and the taxes were reasonable. Not like this friggin' tax grab on sleds.......Grrrrr

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hahahahaha...............that is registered in BC. When I registered it we didn't have to pay tax on the purchase price but rather on market value. Naturally, it wasn't appraised at a high value and the taxes were reasonable. Not like this friggin' tax grab on sleds.......Grrrrr

If it only plows your driveway why did you register it at all?

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it the cheap aberia gas is causing your problems Doug :D

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Did you do a hard pull with your new winch? Sometimes the cable will put enough pressure on the sides that it will put extra load on the winch all the time. Will it free spool out easily?

Now that is a good one to try. I'm thinking it will free wheel as it drops quite easily. Lots of other things to try in the morning also. Thanks a lot guys. A great place for information with the odd bit of BS thrown in also.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Now that is a good one to try. I'm thinking it will free wheel as it drops quite easily. Lots of other things to try in the morning also. Thanks a lot guys. A great place for information with the odd bit of BS thrown in also.

Did you expect anything less?

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you can also shorten the winch cable, makes the winch operate a bit more efficiently. less amps used, and less power needed to turn winch line. 15 ft of cable would work well, and if you need to winch something else you could use a cable extension.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your winch is the problem for sure, I have 8 wraps on my winch for plowing ..4 ft of winch cable. Good call imdoo'n

Top Bottom