Electrical issue

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Don't test it right after it comes off the charger. Let it sit for an hour or so then check voltage.
A few times with the winch unloaded shouldn't have drawn it down 40%

The only load on the winch was the blade up and down 3-4 times without starting it. I see where you are getting the 40%.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No beer in fridge. I've been waiting for Ray or Larry to bring over free Alberta beer for this retired ol' fart to enjoy some of the finer things in life! They keep talking about all the enjoyment they have and even seem to have fun collecting cans/bottles. They have quite the life!

There won't be beer in the fridge then fore sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
likely, lol

hopefully doug can get his troubles identified, he can download a shop manual to his puter for $10 or so, would give him all the values and procedure to trouble shoot. don't understand why 2 mechanics couldn't find what was wrong. or part just went south again. hopefully it s something simple.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
likely, lol

hopefully doug can get his troubles identified, he can download a shop manual to his puter for $10 or so, would give him all the values and procedure to trouble shoot. don't understand why 2 mechanics couldn't find what was wrong. or part just went south again. hopefully it s something simple.

I'm going to have a conversation with Trollcat this morning and go over a few things. The one thing that popped into my mind was to turn up the idle a little so that maybe the charging system was working better. This quad has under 2000 miles on it and never been abused so I can't see too many things going south.

I should know more today.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any time I test for charging on a system I just remove one of the terminals of the battery when it is running. If it quits the charging system is not working, if it stays running your fine.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm going to have a conversation with Trollcat this morning and go over a few things. The one thing that popped into my mind was to turn up the idle a little so that maybe the charging system was working better. This quad has under 2000 miles on it and never been abused so I can't see too many things going south.

I should know more today.

x-it has a quick easy solution. ^^^^^^^

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
shorten the winch line, 15 ft is lots, makes the winch run easier, less resistance, rev motor up some when using winch, and as I can remember your driveway is not very long, so lots of plow lifting and not much charging in between. also quad batteries are very small! maybe as someone suggested you could hook a larger battery on rear rack and run cables to quad battery!

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been there done that with a heavy snow plow blade, jamming up winch and binding winch cable lines. I do not remember how many 3/16 lines I broke. Now it is only 1/4" and I always take the extra 5 minutes to switch out the lines. It is so much easier on your winch.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Any time I test for charging on a system I just remove one of the terminals of the battery when it is running. If it quits the charging system is not working, if it stays running your fine.

shorten the winch line, 15 ft is lots, makes the winch run easier, less resistance, rev motor up some when using winch, and as I can remember your driveway is not very long, so lots of plow lifting and not much charging in between. also quad batteries are very small! maybe as someone suggested you could hook a larger battery on rear rack and run cables to quad battery!

Lots of great ideas. Yes, as I stated earlier, the quad quits when I disconnect the battery. The free-wheeling on the winch is easy-peasy. Synthetic line and no jamming. Good idea on another battery Larry and you are right about the process. I'm thinking that is a lot of my problem.

Just went out to test the battery after charging last night, as doorfx suggested, and now my tester has packed it in. Changed the battery in that and still no-workie. Lots of fun. I may resort to beer this afternoon.

So the charging system consists of the voltage regulator and the stator? I will do doorfx's test after I get another tester and see if the voltage regulator is putting out.

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

You can fry some charging systems doing that. Not to mention that it can create a spark and a battery creates hydrogen gas while charging. Very explosive !!

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry never read that about it quitting when disconnecting the battery. It is amazing that the two people who looked at it could not find the problem for it not charging. I never let a atv battery get old or run down, it is way to hard on the stator.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hopefully not the stater, Not thinking your the problem, i found out the hard way myself, only i have more driveway to plow, +\_. 500 ft, plus an acre or so for sled trailers and truck parking. The long runs help but i tended to do more short runs. Kept killing battery. Live n learn! You got a few giving you a hand, gotta love snow n mud

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score

Hopefully not the stater, Not thinking your the problem, i found out the hard way myself, only i have more driveway to plow, +\_. 500 ft, plus an acre or so for sled trailers and truck parking. The long runs help but i tended to do more short runs. Kept killing battery. Live n learn! You got a few giving you a hand, gotta love snow n mud

Yes, a great place for sure. Once again, thanks for all the help. Just going out with a new digital tester and I will see what the voltage is on the battery with doorfx's process.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Now that you have your meter you can also check each cable. Put the meter on resistance and connect to each end of the cable. You should have less then 5 ohms. The less the better. If you have more then the ends or wire could be corroded or if it reads open the wire can be broken in a spot you can't see. Check all your wiring for the battery and charging system. Also check resistance between your frame ground and the battery ground.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Voltage on the battery sitting in the cradle is 13.05 after taking the charger off and sitting for a couple hours.

Voltage at the battery at 1/4 - 3/8 idle was 18.98

Seems like the voltage regulator is whooped.

Now another question, on the Polaris micro fiche for a 2005 Sportsman 500HO, there is part number 2203348 called a new Kit-SurePower ECM. Is that the same as the voltage regulator (old part number 4011110)?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Now that you have your meter you can also check each cable. Put the meter on resistance and connect to each end of the cable. You should have less then 5 ohms. The less the better. If you have more then the ends or wire could be corroded or if it reads open the wire can be broken in a spot you can't see. Check all your wiring for the battery and charging system. Also check resistance between your frame ground and the battery ground.

Thanks Keith.

Top Bottom