Ei questions

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I work year round a Company That is doing temp layoffs for the first time ever i have never been on ei other then trade school so dont no mich about it. I also have a small farm That is a incorporated company i only farm 200 acres but help my old man mostly with his farm. Wondering if any one has ever been in similar situation? Corperation and personal wages linked? The company i work for is offering wage top ups but only
if i qualify for ei i was told. Any body have any info and no if i will qualify for ei or if im sol

Last edited:

oldrzr

Reaction score
I went on medical ei in Sept. due to an illness i have. I made pretty good money when I was working so i recieve the top benefits which is $531.00 per week less taxes which works out to $481.00. So don't rely on getting rich. lol I had to go on ei due to collecting Long Term Disability thru our benefits at work here soon. I believe you should not have any trouble collecting. But who knows. As long as your not colecting a regular monthly wage from your corperation you should still be ok. I'm collecting my early CPP and it doesn't bother my ei. Good luck.

linktel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You should do an anonymous telephone call
Ask lots of questions
I think if you have shares in your dad's farm you may be in a bind
When I owned my own business we had an issue the my wife getting EI as she was a share holder

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You should do an anonymous telephone call
Ask lots of questions
I think if you have shares in your dad's farm you may be in a bind
When I owned my own business we had an issue the my wife getting EI as she was a share holder

I dont own shares in my dads farm i am a seperate corperation all own my own, it has only been running for 2 years and hasnt shown a proffit yet and yea they def gettin a random phone call

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have u been paying wcb and uic premiums from your farm operation, A business owner usually has s tough tine getting uic

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have u been paying wcb and uic premiums from your farm operation, A business owner usually has s tough tine getting uic

no not through company but i pay full premiums when i work up north year around. And am being layed of from my personal job, dont really make anything money wise in the corporation. I work for the business max 2 weeks a year little during seeding little at harvest and maintain fulltime employment

Last edited:

Ruralcowboy

Reaction score
I'm not sure about being incorporated, but on a family farm you may qualify depending on the income. If you are not making much, I don't think you will have any problem.
If needed, one way around it, is to not sell your crop in the same tax year.
You will be ask if you have a farming operation when you apply for UI, so there is no need to make your phone call anonymous.
It is easier to call than worry about it.

Last edited:

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Waited 40 mins on hold and finally got through but got no where, explained my situation but was told i wont no anything till i actually apply for ei. So have to sit and wonder till jan if i qualify.

Last edited:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Waited 40 mins on hold and finally got through but got no where, explained my situation but was told i wont no anything till i actually apply for ei. So have to sit and wonder till jan if i qualify.

personally if you have 2 months to wait , and then no money for 6wks if you do qualify, better off looking for other work

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
personally if you have 2 months to wait , and then no money for 6wks if you do qualify, better off looking for other work

company offered 75 percent wage top up ontop of ei to make sure we come back once shutdown is done, i cant make that kinda money while working at home if i did happen to find a job, been working away for several years be nice to be home for a bit honestly though

Last edited:

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I work year round a Company That is doing temp layoffs for the first time ever i have never been on ei other then trade school so dont no mich about it. I also have a small farm That is a incorporated company i only farm 200 acres but help my old man mostly with his farm. Wondering if any one has ever been in similar situation? Corperation and personal wages linked? The company i work for is offering wage top ups but only
if i qualify for ei i was told. Any body have any info and no if i will qualify for ei or if im sol

Cameco McArthur? Fingers crossed they hold true and it's only a layoff as they claim.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have a read of this, might help you out. About a third the way down the page.

How small are your self-employment activities?

When your self-employment activities are so small that a person would not rely on that employment or engagement as a principal means of living, you may not be working a full working week. Therefore, you may be considered unemployed. A full working week is at least the same number of hours worked by other regular workers in that occupation.
are considered to determine how small your self-employment activities are during the time benefits are claimed. All of these factors need to be evaluated in order to obtain an overview of your situation that will determine if you are working a full working week or not.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have a read of this, might help you out. About a third the way down the page.

How small are your self-employment activities?

When your self-employment activities are so small that a person would not rely on that employment or engagement as a principal means of living, you may not be working a full working week. Therefore, you may be considered unemployed. A full working week is at least the same number of hours worked by other regular workers in that occupation.
are considered to determine how small your self-employment activities are during the time benefits are claimed. All of these factors need to be evaluated in order to obtain an overview of your situation that will determine if you are working a full working week or not.

Oh perfect, I never work a full week on the farm. Pogey beach here I come.

I got dinked by this once, was working up north and farming "part time".

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not true, lots of companies are short handed all over

Yep depending what you're doing there's a lot of people hiring out there. Problem isn't finding people, it's finding people who aren't completely useless.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep depending what you're doing there's a lot of people hiring out there. Problem isn't finding people, it's finding people who aren't completely useless.

Exactly......

Never collected ei and hopefully will never have to, actually I can't, there is no shortage of work around. Good paying jobs too

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not true, lots of companies are short handed all over

kinda a blanket statement not even knowing what i do for work. Ya there are jobs but depending on your area, u tell the diamond drillers or raise bore operators or miners theres lotsa work and see where that would get you lol lotsa specialized jobs lost. I have a good shot of finding work elsewhere because of my trade. But for 10 months at home and company wage topup im not gunna loose money and go chase work and be home less then i am now. If the right job comes up thats not 8 hour drive i will forsure jump on it though

Top Bottom