Dyed premium fuel

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
they have no issues whatsoever in the big diesel engines that power their gen sets or equipment. I'm not sure what gravel crushers you have experience with, but these guys do not sit anywhere for any length of time other than what it takes to move them to the next pit. they go 24/7, 365. every plant gets a 2 week "turnaround" in the summer for critical component maintenance that can't be done in the field.
In our region crushers virtually never work in the winter, they are an April till October work season, park everything and take the winters off.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In our region crushers virtually never work in the winter, they are an April till October work season, park everything and take the winters off.
X2. When I worked for OK Ag. that was the norm. Shut down in Nov, fire up in April.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there are at least 5 plants with this one outfit currently working in the Ft Mac area crushing gravel for the twinning of 63. the gravel is getting hard to find up there, and winter roads have to be built on muskeg to get to some of the spots. they crush all winter and new Canadians ferry the gravel out to pads accessible during summer months.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there are at least 5 plants with this one outfit currently working in the Ft Mac area crushing gravel for the twinning of 63. the gravel is getting hard to find up there, and winter roads have to be built on muskeg to get to some of the spots. they crush all winter and new Canadians ferry the gravel out to pads accessible during summer months.
Lol new Canadians.

rusty

GBCA Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't the filtration system on the equipment pick up any particles that would be considered bad for a fuel system.

buckie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dunno have run purple fuel in every thing from seadoo, boats, sleds, quads, pickups, farm truck, my stock car, all our farm equipment, loggin equipment and have never ever had an issue even after it has sat all year

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have had Raycor filters plug off on John Deere log loaders

the fuel dye was added by the guy driving the fuel truck when he delivered ...... me thinks he went and added to much dye

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a new esso bulk station near me they offer dyed premium 93 octane ,
some say the dye is bad for injectors ?
Mmmmm...........

It is highly unlikely that the dye in the fuel is a problem but it could be an additional problem in old fuel but not the main one. The big issue is the presence of ethanol which deteriorates faster than the actual gasoline and attracts/absorbs moisture. I think the best approach is to buy ethanol free premium for as long as it is available.

By the way, Esso, Husky and Petro Canada all have ethanol in their premium fuels (according to their websites anyway).
Shell and Co-op/Tempo do not (again according to their website).
Some superstore premiums do not - check the pump.

I think they are all a little suspect because fuel can sometimes be delivered on a first available delivery basis and sometimes the refiners will trade fuel. Many of the delivery trucks are independent as well so the chain of custody is often not perfect.

I prefer using Shell in my Summit 800 but have used Superstore. No Co-op in my areas but there is a Tempo.

I had used a fuel stabilizer in my fuel last year but the fuel was still crap in the fall. Engine ran poorly enough that I brought it back to the dealer for a check and the diagnosis was poor fuel. My approach now is drain as much out as I can (I bought a mechanical siphon) and put in a fresh 3 liters of premium with added stabilizer and run it for about 5 minutes. This December, I topped off the tank with fresh premium and it ran great.

Don't worry about the dye. Just make sure you have fresh fuel.

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what micron raycor?

That was a long time ago what ever coast tractor recommended for 644E loader's

an new raycor would last about 30 min's then plug off bypassed, raycor and had no problems with the 2 john deere filters and the over dyed fuel

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is highly unlikely that the dye in the fuel is a problem but it could be an additional problem in old fuel but not the main one. The big issue is the presence of ethanol which deteriorates faster than the actual gasoline and attracts/absorbs moisture. I think the best approach is to buy ethanol free premium for as long as it is available.

By the way, Esso, Husky and Petro Canada all have ethanol in their premium fuels (according to their websites anyway).
Shell and Co-op/Tempo do not (again according to their website).
Some superstore premiums do not - check the pump.

I think they are all a little suspect because fuel can sometimes be delivered on a first available delivery basis and sometimes the refiners will trade fuel. Many of the delivery trucks are independent as well so the chain of custody is often not perfect.

I prefer using Shell in my Summit 800 but have used Superstore. No Co-op in my areas but there is a Tempo.

I had used a fuel stabilizer in my fuel last year but the fuel was still crap in the fall. Engine ran poorly enough that I brought it back to the dealer for a check and the diagnosis was poor fuel. My approach now is drain as much out as I can (I bought a mechanical siphon) and put in a fresh 3 liters of premium with added stabilizer and run it for about 5 minutes. This December, I topped off the tank with fresh premium and it ran great.

Don't worry about the dye. Just make sure you have fresh fuel.
Use seafoam , keeps gas good all summer... Both sleds ran 100% with just a fill up tank and go

Last edited:

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would have to agree with what other's have said. Dye is added at several thousand to 1 ratio at least,
so I can't see that being a problem.

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not to derail the thread ,but i'm amazed at the zero bitching I have came across about the lack
of fuel(regular and premium) that is available to the general public for off-road use.
Kinda pizzes me off paying 18 ish cent's per litre road maint.tax for fuel for sled's and quad's. I was
actually going to say that in the trail pass thread but forgot.

AND GO.........................
:smiliestirthepot:

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not to derail the thread ,but i'm amazed at the zero bitching I have came across about the lack
of fuel(regular and premium) that is available to the general public for off-road use.
Kinda pizzes me off paying 18 ish cent's per litre road maint.tax for fuel for sled's and quad's. I was
actually going to say that in the trail pass thread but forgot.

AND GO.........................
:smiliestirthepot:

Dyed regular is easy to find everywhere I've been but I feel your pain on the dyed premium. I just wish we were allowed to use dyed in our toys in AB.

Steve D

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I worked in a fuel bulk plant and got to see first hand what goes into the fuel.

The dye we made up was a mix of nasty ass super dye (don't get the raw dye on your skin, almost as good as a tattoo!) diluted with Diesel. The regular gas for majority of purple fuel was automatically mixed by the pump (rather than a special tank just for purple regular). For a couple winters we ran a premium tank and mixed it manually.

So holy crap, not only is your purple premium got that horrible dye in it, it's also got diesel! (Disclaimer: I don't know if this was standard practice everywhere or just my boss being cheap.)

Now that you're good and scared about that, let me scale this back for you. To give you an idea of quantities, when a fuel truck is transporting fuel from a bulk plant to a station, there will always be left over fuel in the bottom of his tanks from his previous trips mixing in with the fuel in the new trip. Happens all the time, particularly since premium isn't a common mover. The ratio of diesel that'd sometimes get mixed in from that was more than the dye/diesel mixture together that was added to gas. It's an amazingly small ratio of dye that colors gas.

So short story: Don't worry about it. Like another guy said, old wive's tale, probably stemmed from someones carb being red after it sat all year with dyed gas in it and the gummed up was blamed on the dye.

Hell, if you dump a jerry can of gas in on the side of the trail you'll probably put more impurities (water, dust) in your fuel system than the dye was bringing to the table too.

Top Bottom