jpow

Reaction score
I have a new esso bulk station near me they offer dyed premium 93 octane ,
some say the dye is bad for injectors ?
Mmmmm...........

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gee I sure hope not, I have been running colored gas in my sleds forever and never had a problem. I ran my 2005 M7 on colored regular and now run my 2011 M8 on colored Shell Gold. Go for it, save a buck wherever you can.

4Cats

Reaction score
I had a local Yamaha Dealer tell me that dyed fuel screws up the injectors on the quads,,,,and this guy has built many a race sled

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What isn't fuel injected these days........... Now unless sled injectors are somehow different than any other injector, shouldn't be an issue.

b_doornenbal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The same dye is used to mark the different grades of VP race fuel ... Purple, blue, red and that's ok for race motors.... Check it out

I'm also not sure how the dye would screw up injectors.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420945613.311427.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420945613.311427.jpg
    387.7 KB · Views: 736

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
dye doesn't hurt anything

• Thanks
Reactions: LBZ

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dye is dissolved in the fuel. It's undisolved solids that harm injectors and more importantly diesel injextors at high pressure. I've never even heard of a gasoline injextor going bad.

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
fuel injected motors have been burning marked fuel for years lots of boat motors only see dyed fuel.

• Recommends
Reactions: LBZ

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
old wives tale.
B.s there Tom, ur old balls... U can't tell me u have never seen a old farm truck with dyed farm fuel and a purple carb on the out side...

Mabe that's the thing , need to be a farm boy to understand

I have taken carbs apart to rebuild that where purple inside and out...

A fuel injector has a bunch of small holes the size of a carb pilot jet... They both plug easy

Toro

Reaction score
Well in my experience watching railcars being filled with diesel it's not purple in this case but red and they add approximately one gallon to a rail car which is about about 40000 gallons. Gotta say with all of the "high tech" emission engines being used in ag production these days I doubt very much that the dye would have any affect, manufacturers like Deere and the other big boys would be screaming law suits over dye damaging their engines. Anyone in the Ag business these days on a large scale running new/newer iron knows how sensitive this stuff has become. The days of throwing any "old" fuel in are gone.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I read on the internet that its bad. It must be true. I have also read running race fuel gives me more power, aftermarket cans add power, Doo's are the best sleds and Bill Gate's will give me $250 for forwarding his email.

I have ran it in all my sleds without concern. Do I worry about old dyed fuel in my sleds? No as I do not leave old fuel in my sleds.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Colored fuel isn't a problem.
Plain and simple .
Old fuel ? Yes !!!

Correct.
The shelack left behind by evaporating gas is a problem and the dye may color the shelack but the dye is not the issue.
Once shelack forms I have yet to find a "dump in the tank cleaner" that works. It's manual scrubbin time.
:twocents: from using thousands of gallons of dyed fuel on the farm in carbed and injected motors.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
B.s there Tom, ur old balls... U can't tell me u have never seen a old farm truck with dyed farm fuel and a purple carb on the out side...

Mabe that's the thing , need to be a farm boy to understand

I have taken carbs apart to rebuild that where purple inside and out...

A fuel injector has a bunch of small holes the size of a carb pilot jet... They both plug easy
cant say you you havnt seen an old farm truck which runs regular which has sat for years and is all gummed up. As other are pointing it, its the old fuel that is the problem, not the dye.

I run THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of liters of dyed fuel every year and have never had a problem related to the dye.

As I said before, old wives tale.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I move a lot of gravel crushers, those guys won't put dyed diesel in their "nice" trucks even if it's free. lots of them buy used diesel trucks and run the free dyed fuel and say they only last 2-3 years before the fuel system is toast. I have no experience with this, but these guys all swear to it.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I move a lot of gravel crushers, those guys won't put dyed diesel in their "nice" trucks even if it's free. lots of them buy used diesel trucks and run the free dyed fuel and say they only last 2-3 years before the fuel system is toast. I have no experience with this, but these guys all swear to it.
One thing you will notice with gravel crushers is their equipment tends to sit for months at a time because of seasonal jobs. All dye does is make it easier to see the residue when the fuel has evaporated or sat to long. The dye itself causes no such problems.

Frankly I will go with personal experience and the word of the big boys, Cat, Deere, Hitachi, Isuzu, all claim no problem at all with dyed fuel.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One thing you will notice with gravel crushers is their equipment tends to sit for months at a time because of seasonal jobs. All dye does is make it easier to see the residue when the fuel has evaporated or sat to long. The dye itself causes no such problems.

Frankly I will go with personal experience and the word of the big boys, Cat, Deere, Hitachi, Isuzu, all claim no problem at all with dyed fuel.
they have no issues whatsoever in the big diesel engines that power their gen sets or equipment. I'm not sure what gravel crushers you have experience with, but these guys do not sit anywhere for any length of time other than what it takes to move them to the next pit. they go 24/7, 365. every plant gets a 2 week "turnaround" in the summer for critical component maintenance that can't be done in the field.

Top Bottom