Crossfire 1000 blowing belts

whickey

Reaction score
So I was out sledding with a guy on the weekend that was on a crossfire 1000 an 08 i think. Sled has a 136x1 3/4 track and he was blowing belts like crazy. Says he always has. He went through 3 over the 200km we rode. sled has 1000 miles on it and figures he has gone through 50 belts since new. I could not belive it. He has a full vent on clutch side. Engine has a fuel controler but nothing internal done to the engine (i know why would you need a fuel controler with a 1000cc pushing a 136 track but anyways). His dealer says they have checked the allignment on it and claim it is just how he rides. I call bs on that cause he was not going any harder then we were. Says everytime he pins it, they blow. One even went just as we were ditch banging with only 10 miles on it. I know he may not do the best breakin but i know guys that just pinner from new. There belts may not last as long but they last longer then 10 miles. Any thoughts...

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
So I was out sledding with a guy on the weekend that was on a crossfire 1000 an 08 i think. Sled has a 136x1 3/4 track and he was blowing belts like crazy. Says he always has. He went through 3 over the 200km we rode. sled has 1000 miles on it and figures he has gone through 50 belts since new. I could not belive it. He has a full vent on clutch side. Engine has a fuel controler but nothing internal done to the engine (i know why would you need a fuel controler with a 1000cc pushing a 136 track but anyways). His dealer says they have checked the allignment on it and claim it is just how he rides. I call bs on that cause he was not going any harder then we were. Says everytime he pins it, they blow. One even went just as we were ditch banging with only 10 miles on it. I know he may not do the best breakin but i know guys that just pinner from new. There belts may not last as long but they last longer then 10 miles. Any thoughts...

He has some serious issues with this sled.
How many engine mounts are broke? Is there some kind of jackshaft mount broke?
I would remove the engine guard, prop back of sled up and engage the clutch and watch what the engine does. How much does it move? Does the secondary float?
How are the belts breaking? Are they separating from the top (wideside) and down as in delaminating? This is caused by heat.
If they are coming apart on the sides, this is misalignment.
Gearing too high? Track too tight?
Check inside the chaincase for stray parts causing drag?
Cats are known for blowing chains.........

Last edited:

Fallen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
first thing i would check are the engine mounts. My buddy has a 09 crossfire 1000 and he replaced his mounts last year and added an extra one from SLP i think, and he checked them again this year and they look like they need to be replaced again. His 1000 was blowing belts and after he replaced his mounts all was good. If his engine mounts are good check clutch alignment.

tantrumpipeline

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
He has some serious issues with this sled.
How many engine mounts are broke? Is there some kind of jackshaft mount broke?
I would remove the engine guard, prop back of sled up and engage the clutch and watch what the engine does. How much does it move? Does the secondary float?
How are the belts breaking? Are they separating from the top (wideside) and down as in delaminating? This is caused by heat.
If they are coming apart on the sides, this is misalignment.
Gearing too high? Track too tight?
Check inside the chaincase for stray parts causing drag?
Cats are known for blowing chains.........
Diamond drives are suspect but if it were blown you would have bigger problems than belts, motor mounts would be my next guess with the 1000's, but you can't always trust the dealer, local shop here said my buddies M8 was good to save the embarrassment of their bad pdi, took it to the mod shop, two shims and voila it hasn't blown one in 1200km, could be the same deal if its always done it, usually if its done it since day one I would assume clutch alignment, why would they not bring this up earlier is my question?

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
50 belts?!?!? I really suck at math but at say $160 a belt not sure the price but that's a safe bet that is $8000 in belts! I am sorry to say but that guy is dumb if he thinks that's normal! Tell him to get that into a good shop asap!

joekikass

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Clutch alignment must be way out, how could he not think something is wrong, 1500 km and I've only chewed 1 046 belt on my 1000 and that was before it was properly aligned .

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
50 belts?!?!? I really suck at math but at say $160 a belt not sure the price but that's a safe bet that is $8000 in belts! I am sorry to say but that guy is dumb if he thinks that's normal! Tell him to get that into a good shop asap!

Was going to ask what type of belt is he running. The 1000s cost 200, so I run 800cc belts. Their softer and cheaper. Is he running the right belts

whickey

Reaction score
Belts are bought and paid for at the same dealer he bought it at (going to leave the dealer out cause I know they are a supporting vendor and I really appreate the support from all the vendors). I said the same thing about this not being normal. Apparently he has had it back to the dealer many times to have the issue looked at. Every year brings it in for its yearly checkup. I told him to trade it off cause another 50 belts and he could have got a band new sled. I don't think he had his diamond drive checked, maybe a thought. I told him to take it to a different shop and get another opinion cause his dealer is full of crap. Kind of a pain for him to keep changing belts, nevermind the storage of the extra ones. He never leaves the trailer without having at least 2 extra belts with him.

OLE 11

Reaction score
First of all go see your buddy and Slap him right in the face!! Then start the sled and drive it through the front window of dealership. I have got 800 hard miles on my belt and is still good! Takes 2 seconds to look @ motor mounts to see if they are fu$ked! Just saying!!

Reactions: RXN
Top Bottom