Conditions Flathead Trail; Barnes, Limestone, RainGuage,ect.

Newfie1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought I would start a new thread for Flathead because the Corbin Thread seems to be more for The Tin Shack & Yellow gate to the rolling hills. I thought It would be ok to separate them. Hope thats ok with everyone.

Newfie1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have always wondered where does the Grooomer come from that grooms the Flathead?
Thanks in Advance

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I have always wondered where does the Grooomer come from that grooms the Flathead?
Thanks in Advance

If there was grooming down there (south of the junction with the LodgePole FSR) it was Warren Baker out of Fernie grooming for the trappers and some buddies. He has since sold his groomer so it will be bumps galore! Welcome to the olden days Shawn!

Newfie1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If there was grooming down there (south of the junction with the LodgePole FSR) it was Warren Baker out of Fernie grooming for the trappers and some buddies. He has since sold his groomer so it will be bumps galore! Welcome to the olden days Shawn!

Oh Doug it was groomed when I was there in Dec. So he has sense sold it. I'm Staging from Corbin Mine Site. So there will be no more grooming there. Dam that will be rough but not so busy.

Warhawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ouch thats going to hurt lol.
well at least the die hards will still do it :cool:

COME ON SNOW

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought the boys from A&E were grooming to rain gauge, at least someone was last year. What's the donation box for at the townsite then? LOL

Doug, I think maybe Shawn is referring to Corbin, Barnes, Rain Gauge "Flathead", not necessarily all the way down to Harvey "Flathead". If not, I've never seen anyone grooming much past rain gauge. Barnes will always be rough, part of the appeal I guess. LOL

Newfie1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought the boys from A&E were grooming to rain gauge, at least someone was last year. What's the donation box for at the townsite then? LOL

Doug, I think maybe Shawn is referring to Corbin, Barnes, Rain Gauge "Flathead", not necessarily all the way down to Harvey "Flathead". If not, I've never seen anyone grooming much past rain gauge. Barnes will always be rough, part of the appeal I guess. LOL

Yes that's what I was talking about Corbin mine staging to Rainguage turnoff.
Well we are all here, all we need now is some snow and were off and riding.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Oh Doug it was groomed when I was there in Dec. So he has sense sold it. I'm Staging from Corbin Mine Site. So there will be no more grooming there. Dam that will be rough but not so busy.

The grooming from the Coal Mountain Mine site is looked after by the Corbin Country Club. To the best of my knowledge, they don't go down deep into the Flathead. I have heard of Curtis running his groomer down there every once in awhile.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score

You are absolutely correct.

Newfie1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is what i wrote befor xmas. I don't think they got anymore snow sense then. think everyone is waiting for a dump.
Staged at the Corbin mine today.Trail was good. Went in to Barnes then over to Limestone, that trail was ok. I pulled out the gromer hope it was smother for the old guys. hehehe. Nice snow but thin. Lots of mines. Took a quick shot in to Rainguage same there. Need more snow. But OK for first ride of the year.
Maybe we will try pipe line tommorow.

Trukker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rode from Corbin yesterday and was far the best day we had . couple feet of freshy going up the flathead creek

InnOnTheBorder

Lodge in Crowsnest
Reaction score
Website
www.innontheborder.com
Thanks in Advance

Well!! I guess I should apologize for not being on here, but Busy Busy.

Shawn:
WOW Buddy it must be a long time since we spoke. I was sure when you used to stay with us that we talked about the Corbin country club and how we managed to get tenure for about 20 miles of the Flathead from the Old town site of Corbin down to Cutts Cabin turn off. This of course means we clean and clear snow from the parking when required. Also Groom from the Bridge past the Barnes ( Limestone turn off ) down past heartbreak, then Rainguage, then continue to Cutts turn off. This is about the only spot you can turn the groomer around and head back. This is all explained at the Staging area on the 3ft sign about 4ft from the bridge while you pass by the donation box. Frances Boone has been a huge help to the club by Marshaling the Flathead Staging area selling BCSF trail permits which are a huge help in keeping the trails open and the groomers running. He is also a wealth of knowledge for anyone wanting to know any information about the area and who the volunteers are looking after the area. We also purchased Maps from the Fernie Club to aid you in any question about where you are in the Area. I will look into replacing the sign at Barnes/Elliot turn off that some Idiot figured it would be more beneficial to them in the box of there truck.
I also will apologize to any BCSF and Corbin country club members for the last few weeks of rough trails down the Flathead. We have had issues with the Goose Neck portion on the Mogul Master. Our volunteer group have been welding away on it. So our guys have been using the Blade and Packer Bar. Last week we had a track issue on the Groomer putting it out of commission for a bit. Sounds like the Corbin Country club Volunteers spent a hard weekend working on, repairing, and returning the groomer to the staging area. I will have a update on this today.
As a member of the Fernie club also , I received an e-mail saying there groomer has had issues as well. How is that coming Doug?

If at all you need Information about snow and Trail report. Verlee has always been straight up on her Blog on our Website and Facebook page at

We are still working on the new website.
Our biggest fund raiser is Feb. 16th with a Vintage ride to the Rainguage turn off and camp fire in at fire lake. Then the Main Poker run on the 17th. About a 90km ride full circuit. You don't necessarily have to ride the whole way if you desire to ride up the Alpine for part of your day.
We are pretty much booked solid through Feb with maybe a few dates during the weekdays. I believe we have availability in March still. March and April have been some big snow months the last few years.

Again any questions look us up on the website. Always willing to help out.

Curtis

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Great post Curtis.

As for the FSA SnowCat, the electrical gremlins that have been floating around and haunting us may have been addressed. I will find out tonight.

The exhaust manifold that cracked in half two weeks ago has been shipped from England and was in Calgary on Friday. A little mix up with the pieces out of Calgary (we received the wrong part?) but that should be rectified today. We are expecting a groom tonight and it will take a few nights to get the trail back to the condition we like.

It will be a busy week with back-to-back grooms. I may even doo a double groom to the Rolling Hills cabin tonight so the main Coal Creek trail will be acceptable. We can work on the rest as the week progresses so the Alberta Family Day weekend is what it should be......baby-butt smooth!

mick

Reaction score
Trail was good from the inn on the weekend but the pipeline was pounded

InnOnTheBorder

Lodge in Crowsnest
Reaction score
Website
www.innontheborder.com
Trail was good from the inn on the weekend but the pipeline was pounded

Wouldn't the South Rockies be the ch!t if the Clubs could connect!!! It would be like Wyoming - Montana - Idaho. No matter where you stop for fuel you auto bye a trail pass! Why is that? Up here it's like pulling teeth trying to get that across to people?

Top Bottom