COLD weather starts and riding????

Mare

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:confused:Whats everyones opinion on running sleds in cold temps, I'm talking -20 and below?

I am afraid to as last year one of my machines blew a rod, went right through the front. Sled was warmed up good. The weather was at least -20, snowing heavy, and we were just playing around in a feild, nothing extreme. It was a CAT ZL 600, with the attac system.

My kids want to ride ALL the time and I keep saying NO because its been -30 for a month (or so it feels like in Alberta).

So, what your opinion on cold weather and running sleds?
Is it hard on them?
What are some things a person can do so they can ride in cold weather and prevent EXPENSIVE damage? Thanks:d

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've ridden in -45 up in Fort Mac I'm sure that it takes a little life out of your sled,but if you warm them up and rotate the track while on a stand prior to going out it shouldn't be a problem:confused:Don't just pull the rope and go:nono:and you will be OK. watch for frost bite:eek:

BigRed800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ihave been out when its cold dress very warm i warm up the sled by watching the gauge and checking the inner cooler for heat pick up the rear end and drop it to break any free thats stuck and go slow for the first bit

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would ride any time, any temp when younger. Gets harder as I age. Dress warm, warm up the sled well and make sure you use an oil with a low pour point. Sled itself should take the cold no problem.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Myself and Powderchowder rode into the renshaw a couple of years ago when it was -37 I would never do that again. Way tooo cold but the snow was epic.

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
-25 on Saturday and we let the sleds run a bit longer before we headed down the trail. Took some time for it to get to 100 degrees.
I looked at my owners manual today and it says you should take the belt off when starting in really cold weather.

Last edited:

dooryder

XP V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
if you take the belt off before starting it how do you put it back on when its warmed up and running, ahah just messing, actualy a sled runs better (i find) the throttle response is much crisper because there is less moisture in the air, but make sure you warm it up good because you dont want a cold seize

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just rode on Monday up at Calling Lake for 70 miles in minus 20 degrees C. Our biggest problem was goggles fogging. All six of us had the same problem :confused: Lots of snow dust combined with heavy breathing. :) Wipe your goggles or lens with shampoo, inside and out, before riding. Makes a big difference when you can see the trail or not.

As far as the attac system on your sled that is not a stock component... might have been a contributor to your unfortunate problem?

In the nasty cold always warm up the sled until the coolent is circulating at least.

kennyblatz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i used to ride between 4-7 days a week no matter what temp. let the motor warm up till cylinders are warm to the touch and i always roll the track by hand just abit to get it past that first forzen turn. and run the sled on a stand first. i don't see why a sled should have any issues because of temp.

Mare

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for everyones input. How can I tell that my sled is warmed up enough, as I dont have a temp gauge on my crossfire? With all the fancy things sleds have these days, I think a temp gauge should be standard on ALL sleds. As for oils, I run ARCTIC CAT synthetic oil from the dealer.
I just dont want blow anything up again, nothing worse than going out for a fun time with the family, and end up towing a sled back. The wallet doesnt like it much either, LOL. :(
At least the weather is turning around for the best by the weekend. Go pound down whats left out there. :d

Grinny

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
i was out with a buddy last week in about -18. i had no problems, but my buddy who is new to the sport and doesn't feel he needs to buy the right gear for the cold got pretty bad frostbite on his face. i wouldn't expose any skin to the air if you're riding below -10 depending on your average riding speed...it makes for a very unpleasant ride and situation after your ride.

Mare

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have all the proper gear for cold weather riding. Im more concerned for my sled. I love that thing, dont want to bugger it up.

Canuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
rode on Saturday in -37, let the sled warm up for for a while, got the track turning by hand, ran it on the stand... She was great.

Untill, I got second degree frostbite on both my cheeks. Lesson learned.

cueball115a

Reaction score
Saguenay region, mont Valin is my play ground now.
I have riden in -40 in Cold Lake area and the lake with hight wind on a Summit 700 2001 with no problem at all, has everyone been saying let her warm up first and she be good to you. Here in Quebec with much higher humidity too in minus 35 on a Yamaha and Artic Cat Crossfire 800 2009 with no problem except starting the beast. It take a lot of you but if you want to ride.

:beer::beer::nono::beer::beer:

dooryder

XP V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
to tell if your sled is warmed up enough, just touch the cylinders and if there hot its good, also you can grab the hoses and see if there hot also and the coolers in the tunnle

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
to tell if your sled is warmed up enough, just touch the cylinders and if there hot its good, also you can grab the hoses and see if there hot also and the coolers in the tunnle

Wait until the coolers are hot and then reach underneath and check the coolers with the back of your hand. I wait until I feel hot coolant in the coolers. Hot cylinders and cold coolers mean a potential cold seizure for your motor. A common result of cold siezures (4 corner scoring) is from people warming the motor up for a few short time til the cylinders are hot then taking off down the trail at wide open throttle. The motor gets hot and then the t-stat opens quickly and a rush of cold coolant comes into the motor fast, shrinking the cylinders faster than the pistons and squeeks them. You can keep as much underhood heat in by taping up all your vents except the air intake vent. This will help things stay warm under the hood as much as possible. Just go slow off the start until things work themselves around and adjust to the cold.

canuck5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wait until the coolers are hot and then reach underneath and check the coolers with the back of your hand. I wait until I feel hot coolant in the coolers. Hot cylinders and cold coolers mean a potential cold seizure for your motor. A common result of cold siezures (4 corner scoring) is from people warming the motor up for a few short time til the cylinders are hot then taking off down the trail at wide open throttle. The motor gets hot and then the t-stat opens quickly and a rush of cold coolant comes into the motor fast, shrinking the cylinders faster than the pistons and squeeks them. You can keep as much underhood heat in by taping up all your vents except the air intake vent. This will help things stay warm under the hood as much as possible. Just go slow off the start until things work themselves around and adjust to the cold.

This advise is as good as it gets for cold rides 2-3km of trail riding slowly, take it really easy at the start to allow coolant to fully circulate.

willhickey

Reaction score
I don't know if it makes a difference or not but I will put some mix some oil in the gas just in case, when it is below -25. If it is warmer then that i say ride the sucker. Like I said I don't know if it really makes any difference however it make me feel better. I also don't run it really hard when below -25 so I don't even notice a difference in octain.

Labradorian

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:confused:Whats everyones opinion on running sleds in cold temps, I'm talking -20 and below?

I am afraid to as last year one of my machines blew a rod, went right through the front. Sled was warmed up good. The weather was at least -20, snowing heavy, and we were just playing around in a feild, nothing extreme. It was a CAT ZL 600, with the attac system.

My kids want to ride ALL the time and I keep saying NO because its been -30 for a month (or so it feels like in Alberta).

So, what your opinion on cold weather and running sleds?
Is it hard on them?
What are some things a person can do so they can ride in cold weather and prevent EXPENSIVE damage? Thanks:d

exacly what Cannuck5 said.............and just a few words of my own...........

The biggest challenge is actually getting it started in cold weather(If it has been sitting for a while) Once you do get it started let it warm up for a while, raise the track off the ground(if no stand, just lift up the back of the sled and drop it a couple of times, this will loosen it up and dislodge any ice build up)

Once the engine has warmed up(let it run for 5-10mins) and start off slowly, and just ride slow untill the sled loosens up.

I grew up in Labrador where -25 is actually a warm day, I have started sleds at -41(without the wind) and ridden in temps as cold as -35 to -40.

Once the sled is warmed up and you run around at a slow pace to loosen everything up you are fine,

SO........Dress warm, warm up the sled and as long as you can bare the cold your sled will be fine...........

Top Bottom