ETEC Cold Starts - Information

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to give a little tip to those who may not know. In severe cold weather the ETEC engines can sometimes have a few hiccups with cold starts. With the engine block being frozen and tight it is not possible to get a proper pull on the cord to initiate all of the electronics in the proper sequence. To ensure you don't have any problems try the following...

1. kill switch off
2. Pull recoil slowly until you feel engagement ( do not reef on it you will break something ) and pull over slowly. ( repeat 3x)
3. Pull recoil until engagement and pull over machine at regular speed ( repeat 2x)
4. You will now feel like the engine is free enough to get a proper Pull on the recoil. Kill switch on, Start engine
5. don't even think about moving the machine until out of warmup mode

You should have no issues with starting when doing this in cold temps. I would recommend doing this at anything below -10.

The ETEC needs a proper pull when starting, always. Even when warm. a wimpy start can cause an injector to fire and soak a plug but not have enough rotation to start the engine.

Just my findings over the last 11 years with the ETEC engine. It may seem stupid and common knowledge, but a surprising amount of riders do not know this.

Start your machine in town before heading to the staging area (any brand). Better off finding out it runs before making the drive.

Last edited:

Frankenytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
now this is a post I can appreciate. There was just a guy talking about a rough running etec on the forum somewhere last night. Great work maxwell! I am sure with the massive amount of new riders this year you will have helped many of them as long as they are members or guests of the site. Kudos!

Just wanted to give a little tip to those who may not know. In severe cold weather the ETEC engines can sometimes have a few hiccups with cold starts. With the engine block being frozen and tight it is not possible to get a proper pull on the cord to initiate all of the electronics in the proper sequence. To ensure you don't have any problems try the following...

1. kill switch off
2. Pull recoil slowly until you feel engagement ( do not reef on it you will break something ) and pull over slowly. ( repeat 3x)
3. Pull recoil until engagement and pull over machine at regular speed ( repeat 2x)
4. You will now feel like the engine is free enough to get a proper Pull on the recoil. Kill switch on, Start engine
5. don't even think about moving the machine until out of warmup mode

You should have no issues with starting when doing this in cold temps. I would recommend doing this at anything below -10.

The ETEC needs a proper pull when starting, always. Even when warm. a wimpy start can cause an injector to fire and soak a plug but not have enough rotation to start the engine.

Just my findings over the last 11 years with the ETEC engine. It may seem stupid and common knowledge, but a surprising amount of riders do not know this.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You read my mind, my turbo was a bear to get running at -32 after a trip on the deck. Had to pull it over very slow and easy for the first little bit till the engine loosened up, than gave it quick pulls, it probably took ten attempts before mine lit, and actually wanted to idle. I waited till the stat opened and the heat exchanger started to warm up before I moved it off my deck. Im not going to lie, I was wore out after that. Lol

I almost got a space heater to put around the clutches, The plastic parts in the recoil were making me nervous actually.
I didn’t really want to start it but it was frozen so I could not get it off the deck to get it in the garage.

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
I got to step number #1 and proceeded to #2 and was lost........

When hitting the electric starts, do I do it with the kill switch OFF or ON?

Not sure about this recoil thing.

Have always had the E-Tec Electric start...

To old for that pull on a cord thingy.......LOL

Thanks Shawn . great info to help guys out.

Never do move mine in cold till warm up completed.

Not sure why people are in a big hurry to get them off the deck to shut them down again.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got to step number #1 and proceeded to #2 and was lost........

When hitting the electric starts, do I do it with the kill switch OFF or ON?

Not sure about this recoil thing.

Have always had the E-Tec Electric start...

To old for that pull on a cord thingy.......LOL

Thanks Shawn . great info to help guys out.

Never do move mine in cold till warm up completed.

Not sure why people are in a big hurry to get them off the deck to shut them down again.

HAHA YEA, electric start does not apply.

and i agree, your going from 1200rpm to 5000rpm to get your sled off your deck, your doing damage at -20 if its not warm.

rmk600700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Might be the best post in snow and mud history. Wish I knew this 2012 when I was cursing etec on -40 days lol. Pulled it in the garage with quad a couple times to warm up when it wouldn’t go, always seemed like it was a bit flooded and by the sounds of it that’s exactly what was happening. Next etec had estart and would just spin till it fired up!

Top Bottom