Club memberships

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good points. I have said that exact thing to my MLA recently, and have encouraged my riding buddies to do the same thing. Some do, some don't unfortunately. I agree that people need to start speaking up and have advocated that. I have also encouraged them to buy trail passes. I haven't been as active in advocating the club membership, as I just joined one myself. I think that Sledderglen's message above needs to get to those that are not club members, as even if you decide not to join a club, if you make your voice heard, and enough club and non-club members voice their opinion, it can make a difference.

Klingon Warrior

Reaction score
ask members of the calgary club if they knew the government was going to pull the grooming out of cataract creek before it happened ... or did they know about it and didnt have the numbers to make a stand .... the more sledders the government knows about the better ...

In my meetings with SRD and Parks and Rec, they honestly thought that our staging areas were just a conduit into the BC side, they really had no idea of the numbers of sledders who used the SRD controlled land for riding and family recreation even though they had a hand in creating the trail system, mapping it and signing it, as is typical, they don't talk to each other department wise, and they certainly gave us zero indication they were going to cease grooming and take the machine from the area altogether,,,

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In my meetings with SRD and Parks and Rec, they honestly thought that our staging areas were just a conduit into the BC side, they really had no idea of the numbers of sledders who used the SRD controlled land for riding and family recreation even though they had a hand in creating the trail system, mapping it and signing it, as is typical, they don't talk to each other department wise, and they certainly gave us zero indication they were going to cease grooming and take the machine from the area altogether,,,

so a case of one hand not knowing what the other hand is doing

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score

You have to get organized and get after k-country and get the groomer back and active. "Hello your my MLA and i would like to talk to you about something". It`s just that easy.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just noticed a post from the Peace Valley club. The ASA welcomed this club to the fold last year, and we recently received a trail project funding application from them. Going through the application where they documented all the volunteer hours I was blown away with the hours put in by this small, new club. We were pleased to approve their funding application and look foreword to see great things from the Peace Valley Snow Riders. Things like this make my job with the ASA worth while.
Darryl
Thank you sir! We are a small but ambitious group, the generous ASA funding this year went to clearing and mulching our very first approved trail from Leddy Lake north to Deadwood Lake, a distance of 25 miles. The contractor donated 7 days of mulcher time, and we paid the rest of the hours along with fuel and other related costs with our grant. The trucking to haul the mulcher (and D-5 Cat, twice, because mulchers apparently cannot swim) was also donated. There will be many more hours of volunteer labour to now hand clear what the mulcher couldn't get, but we are making progress!

We cannot thank our volunteers and local businessmen enough for all they have done for us so far, as well as the ASA for their support.

Join a club!

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thank you sir! We are a small but ambitious group, the generous ASA funding this year went to clearing and mulching our very first approved trail from Leddy Lake north to Deadwood Lake, a distance of 25 miles. The contractor donated 7 days of mulcher time, and we paid the rest of the hours along with fuel and other related costs with our grant. The trucking to haul the mulcher (and D-5 Cat, twice, because mulchers apparently cannot swim) was also donated. There will be many more hours of volunteer labour to now hand clear what the mulcher couldn't get, but we are making progress!

We cannot thank our volunteers and local businessmen enough for all they have done for us so far, as well as the ASA for their support.

Join a club!

Trail signs coming better add that to your "to do list"

riverrider

Reaction score
I am a founding member of the castlegar snowmobile club and powderpilot does not sit on any part of the clubs execuitive. Some people have taken it upon thereselves to do things for our club that are not authorized through the club and this has caused a big prob for our members. Our club was started to save our riding area for everyone who loves this sport and as in any club there are people who help out alot but there are people who do nothing and that is what every club has.
The one thing we all have in common is our quest for that ride and that is what keeps a club going.

Mantis

Reaction score
Re: Club memberships

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am a founding member of the castlegar snowmobile club and powderpilot does not sit on any part of the clubs execuitive. Some people have taken it upon thereselves to do things for our club that are not authorized through the club and this has caused a big prob for our members. Our club was started to save our riding area for everyone who loves this sport and as in any club there are people who help out alot but there are people who do nothing and that is what every club has.
The one thing we all have in common is our quest for that ride and that is what keeps a club going.

Hey welcome to the site...just read your first post and felt the need to reply to it. Powderpilot is the volunteer website coordinator for the Castlegar Snowmobile Association - maybe not an official part of the "executive", but never the less, a very important and time consuming position. The website gives both members and potential visitors information such as club contact info, updated grooming reports and links to local weather, the CAC and supporting sponsors. Powderpilot also volunteers with fundraising, brushing, cutting firewood and trail pass collecting and also attends executive meetings. Without help from members such as Powderpilot and all the other volunteers who put in countless hours of thier time, snowmobile clubs would not exist and riding areas would be lost. People who donate this much time do it for the love of the sport and the desire to share with fellow enthusiasts. Clubs keep going (and growing - more members/more voice when it comes to issues that may threaten the sport) thanks to volunteers. Please show them appreciation for their efforts by applauding them rather than trying to discredit them. Thanks

powderpilot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I actually thought I was listed on the exec, until our last executive meeting, which I was invited to attend... My bad.

Thanks for the words of support Mantis :)

Anyway, this is not a CSA issue, and I'd like to get the thread back on track. I've had some great interaction with some members of other clubs and they all seem to be going through the same controversey as our club. There seems to be the same group of people in every club that wants to keep the area for themselves, and would probably be happy with no club at all, or a very exclusive one with just their buddies. Yesterday I had a guy ask me why he should pay to ride an area that he has been riding for free for the last 20 years. I think by the end of our conversation I had him convinced to join his local club :)

The controversey will always be there, but so will the threat of losing our priveledge to use Crown Land.

It takes more than just a passion to ride to make a club successful. I thank you all for your enthusiasm and contribution to keeping our areas open for the future of our sport.

depthcharger

Reaction score
Im a club member of the River Rats and always purchase an ASA trail pass.
Being invloved in some sort of an association is the only way to keep the sport going.

riverrider

Reaction score
It is a CSA issue, we started this club to save our riding area and the founding members spent years and years and there hard earned money to save the hill and people forget that without them there would be no riding area.There were people that lived here and rode on that mountian there whole lives and would not sign up but things slowly changed. Powderpilot has been helping for a year fine and dandy but there are other people who have been doing this fight from the begining.

Mantis

Reaction score
Kudos to all those that have worked so hard to help clubs progress, both in the past and today. We have to stick together and all work as one in this day and age to make sure that we keep these areas open for future generations. As I said before, the reason people get involved in clubs is because of their love and passion for the sport. Without the efforts of these volunteers, clubs would not continue to exist. I was the president of the Castlegar club for the past few years and although I am no longer in this position, I will continue to do whatever I can to ensure that future generations (my kids- who both love the sport!!!) are able to our enjoy snowmobiling area.

powderpilot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I started volunteering in September, when I was invited to the first AGM and so foolishly raised my hand when someone asked for a volunteer :Happy4:

I apologize to everyone that someone hijacked this thread!!! It was a great conversation with excellent energy towards the many people that contribute in their own way. Snow and Mud is not a place to take out your personal frustrations on innocent people while sitting behind a computer screen with an alias and absolutely zero accountability.

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Actually I started volunteering in September, when I was invited to the first AGM and so foolishly raised my hand when someone asked for a volunteer :Happy4:

If you love riding so much riverrider, then get out there and do it! Stop attacking people for their contribution!!! You're looking for a pat on the back for what you've done for the club? Get over yourself, volunteer work is thanklless!!!

I apologise to everyone that someone hijacked this thread!!! It was a great conversation with excellent energy towards the many people that contribute in their own way. Snow and Mud is not a place to take out your personal frustrations on innocent people while sitting behind a computer screen with an alias and absolutely zero accountability.

No need to apologize powderpilot!! It seems sometimes it doesn't really what we do, we can't make everyone happy :(

I don't actively sit on the executive for our snowmobile club, either, due to lack of time with my kids activities. But, I do help out getting important information out to club members via our FB sites. I helped organize an avalanche course last winter for our members. I am also willing to help out on any special projects if my time permits.

It seems it's a given within executives, that there is this hierarchy. It can make it difficult to accomplish anything productive. I have sat on my daughter's figure skating club executive for the last 2 yrs and I know all the trials and tribulations of trying to run an organization while still making everyone happy. It's just about impossible.

We are volunteers, and sometimes we don't get the respect we deserve. It sounds to me powderpilot that you are very active within your club and I think they should appreciate that there is someone like you willing to put forth the time and effort.

I agree with Mantis that we have to all stick together if this sport is to progress. With all the bad publicity snowmobilers have been given lately, it's even more important that we all are on the same page. :)

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is a CSA issue, we started this club to save our riding area and the founding members spent years and years and there hard earned money to save the hill and people forget that without them there would be no riding area.There were people that lived here and rode on that mountian there whole lives and would not sign up but things slowly changed. Powderpilot has been helping for a year fine and dandy but there are other people who have been doing this fight from the begining.

So what is your point???

You DON't want people to be an active part of the club?

you DON't want people to enjoy the sport in your area??

You DON't want members from other clubs to join your club???

or you lost your woobie and your binky at the same time and feel very sad?

High five to people who help clubs and the sport any way they can.

Nice club representation River Rider bwaaa haa haa ha haa. I take it you aren't the official spokesperson for your club.

DV8ED Digger

Reaction score
So clear something up for me. Are you pushing that only "club" members should be allowed to ride on crown lands? What if there is no club maintained trails in an area? I certainly hope that you people are not pushing the government to do this. The only people that are "freeloaders" as you call them are those that use club maintained trails, cabins, etc without buying a trail pass. Other than that, people should be able to ride on crown land without belonging to a club. If you want to belong to a club, good for you, but don't be pushing your agenda on all Albertans. Not everyone uses club trails or cabins, or wants to belong to a club. You don't have the right to try to say who can or cannot ride on Alberta crown lands, they belong to everyone, not just club members. If you want to insist people buy a trail pass to ride on club maintained groomed trails, I agree with that because grooming and such isn't free, but in areas with none of those things, anyone should be able to ride there. Please clarify your statement "we need to pressure the non-joiners to step up". By the way, before you start bad mouthing me, I do have a trail pass, although I haven't ridden on ONE club maintained trail so far this year, and may not.

"Crown Land" is just that... controlled by the government. It is not a 'given' or a 'right' that you be allowed to use it as you wish. There is much crown land that is currently closed to motorsports enthusiasts for any number of reasons. One reason for current closures might be that there was no one there to stand against a B.S. closure for a B.S. reason.

I think the point is that one of the things the local and provincial clubs do is work hard to keep crown land from being closed and that is exactly how YOUR membership dues could benefit YOU.

Mantis

Reaction score
Yes it is true that some members think that being part of a club with a management agreement gives them exclusive right to the area. Not sure how it works in other provinces but in B.C., our agreement specifically states that nothing grants the holder exclusive use or occupancy to the area. This is just one more reason for a club and it's membership to prosper and grow. I know it has been said a million times before but the more members -the more voice when it comes to issues that involve snowmobiling and preserving riding areas. One of the best ways to ensure that our areas are preserved both today and for future generations is to promote. I know there are some that will absolutely cringe at just the thought of it, but promoting doesn't necessarily mean going out advertising your area and bringing in the masses. Promoting means being responsible by both riders and clubs and also portraying a good image to the public. This includes avalanche awareness, keeping areas litter free, interacting with goverment and showing respect to both other back country users and the public. Show support to those in your club that currently volunteer and better yet, get involved . The worst thing that can happen within our sport is to start bickering or nit-picking amongst ourselves. If you think there are issues within the membership, offer positive solutions that will help benefit everyone. Encourage others to join up and become members by explaining the benefits to them. Remember that we are all in this because we love the sport!

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes it is true that some members think that being part of a club with a management agreement gives them exclusive right to the area. Not sure how it works in other provinces but in B.C., our agreement specifically states that nothing grants the holder exclusive use or occupancy to the area. This is just one more reason for a club and it's membership to prosper and grow. I know it has been said a million times before but the more members -the more voice when it comes to issues that involve snowmobiling and preserving riding areas. One of the best ways to ensure that our areas are preserved both today and for future generations is to promote. I know there are some that will absolutely cringe at just the thought of it, but promoting doesn't necessarily mean going out advertising your area and bringing in the masses. Promoting means being responsible by both riders and clubs and also portraying a good image to the public. This includes avalanche awareness, keeping areas litter free, interacting with goverment and showing respect to both other back country users and the public. Show support to those in your club that currently volunteer and better yet, get involved . The worst thing that can happen within our sport is to start bickering or nit-picking amongst ourselves. If you think there are issues within the membership, offer positive solutions that will help benefit everyone. Encourage others to join up and become members by explaining the benefits to them. Remember that we are all in this because we love the sport!

Very well said Mantis:)

700WFO

Reaction score
just curious as too how many people that are members of a club and how many peeps are actively involved instead of just sitting back and letting everyone else do the work....

Ouch, was that your outside voice? As a member of TCSC, I would love to be even more involved in a sport I love. My constraints of work and home have me on a tight leash, yet I can still squeeze in time to help out in some areas. You'll never know what you can do till you try! Get off the rocking chair and move it! You'll be in better shape for sledding, and gain a better appreciation for what it takes to create and maintain a trail system and club. You'll never get anywhere riding the coat tails of others, other than to another coat tail! And if you ever get to mine? I'll be sure to show you, I have no tails to ride, but the big boots can direct you instantly! lol

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ouch, was that your outside voice? As a member of TCSC, I would love to be even more involved in a sport I love. My constraints of work and home have me on a tight leash, yet I can still squeeze in time to help out in some areas. You'll never know what you can do till you try! Get off the rocking chair and move it! You'll be in better shape for sledding, and gain a better appreciation for what it takes to create and maintain a trail system and club. You'll never get anywhere riding the coat tails of others, other than to another coat tail! And if you ever get to mine? I'll be sure to show you, I have no tails to ride, but the big boots can direct you instantly! lol

Might be lecturing the wrong guy, polarice is pretty active in the Crow Snow Riders. In fact I met him when he was volunteering at last years Jamboree.

Top Bottom