Clemina Avalanche Video

NectarPerformance

Reaction score
The avalanche warnings were LOW that day,
I promise you that anyone that has been to Clemina has attempted to climb that hill, any other year, no problem. Just bad snow this year. It wasn't stupid, dumb, irresponsible. Just a crazy video.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don’t get the comment????:confused:

There are only a couple of posts 'slamming this guy' the rest of us and the majority are using this as ‘some good old learning’ and discussing the situation…:confused:

coments are for the preachers and you are right most including your self were just having a discussion, :beer: but I hate all the blaming, like this one video is going to shut down every mountain range in the west come on...(again not u todd the preachers):beer:

Alberta Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No longer in Alberta... Moved to Toronto!
The avalanche warnings were LOW that day,
I promise you that anyone that has been to Clemina has attempted to climb that hill, any other year, no problem. Just bad snow this year. It wasn't stupid, dumb, irresponsible. Just a crazy video.

LMAO... you are kidding right??? When is the last time that you looked at an avalanche report that said "LOW"???? 2006? Bad snow pack this year and the weather had warmed up quite a bit... there is NO WAY it was low!

Hey... are you the guy that caused the slide??? Curious first post... ;)

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Urbanstyles......I like others have mixed feelings, about this....weather to be pissed at your group or not......

I and my son took up mountain sledding this year....Unlike you I choose to take the time to get the knowledge and took an ZacsTracs Avalanche course. I took the free course on the CAC web site and decided there would be hands on info that was missing....First hand experience gained from the outdoor portion of the course was invaluable....I have been mountain climbing going on 35 years, so am familar with the mountains and back country survival....I had even taken an avalanche course 30 years ago....things have changed....

Take the course.....we and several people here can personally vouch for it.....Call Lori and ask her some quesotions....

I have decided I like your attitude and moxy re taking the time to post on here about this....I'm sure you'll agree this was probally not the way you would have liked to learn....

PS I'd sled with you.....

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The avy course being put on through Zac's Tracs costs $350 p/p...however if you can get 6 of your buddies together and if you are part of either the BCSF or the ASA they will give a $56 discount. So $294 tax included for a 2 day AST level 1 course. I am sick and tired of hearing sledders say they can't afford it.....LET'S SEE....you can afford a couple $12,000 sleds, you can afford to put mods on it, you can afford the suits, the helmets, the safety gear in the backpack,the gas, the oil, the truck and trailer to haul them around......and you can't afford the $300 to give yourself some valuable information that could save yourself or someone else?? What is your life worth to you??

You bet this course should be MANDATORY!! The dealers that sell these mountain sleds should be promoting this as STANDARD EQUIPMENT on the sleds they sell!! Every one of us sledders should be part of a club as well, not only are you supporting your local club.....you support snowmobiling as a whole and gives us more of a voice when fighting for our areas. Don't think for one minute that the tree huggers aren't looking at our numbers, either!! In light of all the avalanche fatalities this season we are going to have more areas taken away....snowmobiling as we know it won't be the same next season. :mad:

Don't forget the dealers that sell skiis and dogsleighs!!! LOL
Is a Avy course a good investment? Yes BUT! IMO It's only as good as the the person taking it.
Just because you have a piece of paper on the wall doesn't mean that people will heed the warnings.
You can have all the high tech gear and courses avaliable and there will still be "preventable accidents".
We see it in the Oilpatch all the time, H2S Ticket is mandatory but people still get knocked down, And the families and friends are the ones who pay dearly.

Urbanstyles My hat is off to you for sharing your experience On S@M, and glad to hear no one was hurt.
Watching that Vid, gave me a sick feeling because i've experienced something similar on easter weekend last year,
And the rest of you for calling his group down is very uncouth, how many of you actually check the snow pack on your favorite hill before you squeeze the trigger and play? I can't say that I do.
So please don't pass jugment on a complete stranger without thinking back to a time that YOU didn't make the wisest choice when riding in the mountains, I see it every time I make it to one of the cabins and see all the empty cans In a pile over in the corner.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LMAO... you are kidding right??? When is the last time that you looked at an avalanche report that said "LOW"???? 2006? Bad snow pack this year and the weather had warmed up quite a bit... there is NO WAY it was low!

Hey... are you the guy that caused the slide??? Curious first post... ;)

havent they been low all season? LOL

i beleive it says "hotel" low "parking lot" high, alpine "rediculous"

maybe this is the problem we need to find the source of whos posting LOW avalanche warnings lol

Alberta Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No longer in Alberta... Moved to Toronto!
havent they been low all season? LOL

i beleive it says "hotel" low "parking lot" high, alpine "rediculous"

maybe this is the problem we need to find the source of whos posting LOW avalanche warnings lol

LOL... I am waiting to see the source of the "LOW" avalanche danger report... I hope that it is at least a NICE rock that he has been living under this year!

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't forget the dealers that sell skiis and dogsleighs!!! LOL
Is a Avy course a good investment? Yes BUT! IMO It's only as good as the the person taking it.
Just because you have a piece of paper on the wall doesn't mean that people will heed the warnings.
You can have all the high tech gear and courses avaliable and there will still be "preventable accidents".
We see it in the Oilpatch all the time, H2S Ticket is mandatory but people still get knocked down, And the families and friends are the ones who pay dearly.

Urbanstyles My hat is off to you for sharing your experience On S@M, and glad to hear no one was hurt.
Watching that Vid, gave me a sick feeling because i've experienced something similar on easter weekend last year,
And the rest of you for calling his group down is very uncouth, how many of you actually check the snow pack on your favorite hill before you squeeze the trigger and play? I can't say that I do.
So please don't pass jugment on a complete stranger without thinking back to a time that YOU didn't make the wisest choice when riding in the mountains, I see it every time I make it to one of the cabins and see all the empty cans In a pile over in the corner.

Yes you are right...training doesn't actually mean you will use it...however, if you have it you can't plead ignorance and say that you didn't know any better!

As far as checking the snow on my "favorite hill"...no I don't either, but I do check the CAC report for the area in which I am going and once there I pay close attention to my surroundings and watch for tell tale signs and stay off certain aspects and terrain features to minimize the risk. You can never be 100% positive, but you can definitely minimize the possibilities!

You learn all these things in an avalanche awareness course...I'm sure when many educated people watched the video they could pinpoint the avalanche's point of release long before the sled even reached the zone!

Everyone can benefit from professional training...unfortunately, there is no cure for stupidity:d

mikew

Reaction score
nice video, but not so nice comments about this fellow sledder.i'm wondering why all these people with full brains and not pea size brains are still going to the mountains at all.is it not to hillclimb or watch people hillclimb, and how do these smarter people know "the safe hills" they are climbing on are safe.i'm also wondering if the group video taping went over there to see if everyone was ok or just watched from the "safe hill" they were on. Just my 2 cents!

very well said !! I cant believe all these self proclaimed proffesionals can sit in front of their computer watching the video and can perform a full scale analysis . (sit right there folks, nasa will be beating your door down in a minute) its like a bunch of sheep one person comments on the incident and the rest all follow up with a bashing spree ! If any one of you says you have never taken a chance your either a liar or youve never left home ! Ive seen enough avys to know they can happen just as easy in your so called safe spots and with the same deadly force as the avys that happen in the hills.

Duct tape Doo

Reaction score
Considering the run outs that extend completely across valleys this year one would have to wonder what rock these ants have been under this winter!:eek:

RETODD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.valemountvacationrental.com
This thread has gone a stray. Please keep it on topic or don't bother posting. Thanks

:nono:

Sumx54,

This will be my last post in this thread BUT Censorship? The membership put this thread together and had a discussion going, got a bit off topic but was still within the bounds of this forum and was about to put it back on track…soooo…if we stray off topic in any other thread…I’m counting you on being there to help us all out…IMHO…not cool.

:nono:

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As for those who think the conditions were "low, there are archives of the conditions. FYI, this is the report on friday before the accident.

CAC avalanche report Friday, April 3, 2009.

If you read the words, it states that the weather was gonna warm in a couple of days and produce a high avy risk.
reading that, it does not mean that just Monday could have a high risk, but anytime soon... weather permitting. just remember that the cooler weather 'preserves' the snow, and the forecast is reliant on the weather. if there is a warmer than expected afternoon, say Saturday,,, then you might see a quickened forecast, bringing the symptoms to show sooner.

Whether it being warmer or it being another cause (human trigger) the snowpack history is there.

That is why it is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT to READ the script in the forecasts, not just look at the pictures... it clearly is the case here. temps may have played a role or a sled initiated the disturbance. The beast was awakened that saturday afternoon.

One morning I was going out riding, and decided to check with the CAC's most recent reports... One in our group said.. "AWW...you can't rely on those reports, they are so general and tell you nothing..." Truth is, they may cover a vast area, but I would rather see the opinions of the people who devote their life to this science than someone who

"blows off the forecaster's opinion"

read them, they can only tell you what to expect.. it is up to you to do the rest and piece the puzzle together..

CUSO

Last edited:

KingCatz

Reaction score

That H2S Alive ticket is a joke... They practically take the test for you.:rolleyes:

elephant rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll tell ya one thing, it sounds like we all gotta come together & say: HEY YOU GUYS!!! ITS TIME FOR US TO TAKE FULL RESPOSIBILITY !! for our sport & develope a horsepower/awareness aspect to this sport.. I'm talkin' about that little booth you pay your trail fee, YA have an awareness sticker slapped on sledz that r set up for puttin' a rider into an avy situation, everyone knows what to expect from that type of snowmobiler so the problem is made public as soon as possible maybe I'm wrong, but it wood make a difference to those who cared about the next one this year going for the big pull.... I mean this in a sense of common sense EH?

POWDERSLUT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll tell ya one thing, it sounds like we all gotta come together & say: HEY YOU GUYS!!! ITS TIME FOR US TO TAKE FULL RESPOSIBILITY !! for our sport & develope a horsepower/awareness aspect to this sport.. I'm talkin' about that little booth you pay your trail fee, YA have an awareness sticker slapped on sledz that r set up for puttin' a rider into an avy situation, everyone knows what to expect from that type of snowmobiler so the problem is made public as soon as possible maybe I'm wrong, but it wood make a difference to those who cared about the next one this year going for the big pull.... I mean this in a sense of common sense EH?

is that after a case of pilly's :beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:

rondun

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:nono::nono: We ride in the steep and deep all the time. We look at were we are keeping out of the areas that will hurt you and the people around you. I saw the vid and wondered what about the guy's below. The guy's below are not being meatheads and now they are running from the snow (now that is your friend having fun and not thinking of what he is doing to the other guy's) is he going to take care of my family after I am gone due to his actions not mine. People should think before doing. The guy's I ride with all take care of one another and keep out of harms way we still have fun lots of fun and live to talk about it.:mad::mad:

dan123

Reaction score
Ths may piss people off but oh well.

That was a class 3 avalanche at best, I've seen about 100 of
those in 1day before in hope creek...

If thats not your thing just stay home,,Nobody needs any of you
or the goberment telling them what they can or can't climb..

It's very dangerous,,,most of us know that....

If I die climbing something it's my own fault,,if my my friends can't dig me out
please just leave me back there; search and rescue...

Problem is hardly any one who rides back country, have the
first clue on what to do if they are buried or if there friends are
buried...

Class 4 or 5 ya your fuct,,but 15 guys watch you get buried in a class 2or 3
you should have a good chance at living,,,provided the right 15guys are watching...I'd rater have 2or3 people that new what they were doing
than 15useless chumps...

Ride within your limits,,think about Who is digging you out,,are they
capable of digging you out?? you may be 3m under rock hard snow..

If you wanna climb,, climb,,but you may Die,,a risk "I" am willing to take...

Can't handle that??stay home,,goberment stay tha fawk out of it!!!

Top Bottom