boy oh boy......

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Every winter I always enjoy the comments of how Joe consumer makes the statement....."I don't know how the front end folded under the belly pan and broke the S Module? I hardly hit anything?" Then when you talk to his buddy you get to see the pics of the big divot in the snow 20 ft in front of the sled where he landed. Am I the only one on this forum that prefers there mountain sleds to be built for powder and not for tree stump removal? Lmao! And don't tell me that all the other brands are immune to this type of abuse. They all bend when they hit immovable objects.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought people would laugh at this but here is some insight.
All snowmobiles from pretty much its beginning where built on the same concept, belly pan and flip up hood, wrap around bumper large windscreen. This was traditional through out the industry in the 70, 80, 90 and into the 2000.
Models in the 2000 with large belly pan's, large flip up hoods, large windscreen.
2004 RMK
2004 A/C mountain cats
Yamaha RX1
2004 Ski-Doo Highmarks
Today when you look at the modern snowmobile they all have a similarity in common. Small clip on or fasten hood's and removable side panels and no wrap around bumper and some even with no bumper and virtually no windscreen. The idea, is to keep the sled as compact as possible and keep snow out.
In 1984 Yamaha came out with the Phazer with that exact body concept.
The hood was a small flip up, it had the drop down removable side covers, no bumper and a small handle bar mounted windscreen. No wrap around belly pan but more of a skid pan.
This concept was also used by A/C in 1990 with the intro of the Prowler, it had a small flip up hood, drop removable side panels, no bumper and handlebar mounted windscreen, no belly pan but a skid pan. A/C version was much improved over Yamaha in the fact they introduced the A-Arms suspension to the mountain scene on this sled.
BRP, used this concept with the Rev, small flip up hood, drop down removable side panels, handlebar mounted windscreen, no bumper or belly pan but a skid pan.
BRP, just like A/C improved this concept by centralizing the weight with their pyramid chassi.
Now today every manufacture has done their bit to improve their snowmobile, the basic concept design has evolved and will continue. But they all use a very similar body, chassi concept, first introduced by Yamaha but now highly evolved and after 30 years it should be.
Funny how some forget and choose to know what they feel is right. If your young then its understandable.

I remember the day i first saw a Rev at the dealer, spring of 2003. I said "holy crap, thats like the old Yammys". I know its not but my first impression.

Lund, the REVolution of the Rev wasn't the small hood and side panels lol. It was the pyramidal frame and centralized mass that allowed the forward position of the rider and transitioned the industry from a sit down style machine with an acre of real estate in front of you to a standup machine.

Every winter I always enjoy the comments of how Joe consumer makes the statement....."I don't know how the front end folded under the belly pan and broke the S Module? I hardly hit anything?" Then when you talk to his buddy you get to see the pics of the big divot in the snow 20 ft in front of the sled where he landed. Am I the only one on this forum that prefers there mountain sleds to be built for powder and not for tree stump removal? Lmao! And don't tell me that all the other brands are immune to this type of abuse. They all bend when they hit immovable objects.

Skidoo still has the strongest A-arms and the weakest bulkhead on the market but they didn't even make it easy to change the A arms this time around like they should have.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lund, the REVolution of the Rev wasn't the small hood and side panels lol. It was the pyramidal frame and centralized mass that allowed the forward position of the rider and transitioned the industry from a sit down style machine with an acre of real estate in front of you to a standup machine.

Yes i know Brandon and i did say that in my post. No doubt there was a new chassi design by BRP but the compact concept was not new, the chassi was.

Here is my quote "BRP, just like A/C improved this concept by centralizing the weight with their pyramid chassi."

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
981bfab8c5fc182b2598c274dfa86529dea9876a3adb8a50199dd9620b3a1da1.jpg

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any truth to the g4 chassis being based of the ol 1200 4 stroke doo had?

No, I'm not trying to stir the pot anymore just curious ;)

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh God you two, brain washed Polaris dope junkies

I've hit major hard **** with xm and it's still going on original s and e module with NO grip and rips

S module might be out a touch, Rh lower control arm has a big wow inwards on the front tube ( and I hit the snow covered tree hard and wicked wide open, did not see it laying at a 45)

sent while drinking tea's
And I didn't and bent a module.

He's right. Their bulkhead/a-arm combo sucks.

assaultn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's some insight.... You should just stop, you're embarrassing yourself.
I thought people would laugh at this but here is some insight.
All snowmobiles from pretty much its beginning where built on the same concept, belly pan and flip up hood, wrap around bumper large windscreen. This was traditional through out the industry in the 70, 80, 90 and into the 2000.
Models in the 2000 with large belly pan's, large flip up hoods, large windscreen.
2004 RMK
2004 A/C mountain cats
Yamaha RX1
2004 Ski-Doo Highmarks
Today when you look at the modern snowmobile they all have a similarity in common. Small clip on or fasten hood's and removable side panels and no wrap around bumper and some even with no bumper and virtually no windscreen. The idea, is to keep the sled as compact as possible and keep snow out.
In 1984 Yamaha came out with the Phazer with that exact body concept.
The hood was a small flip up, it had the drop down removable side covers, no bumper and a small handle bar mounted windscreen. No wrap around belly pan but more of a skid pan.
This concept was also used by A/C in 1990 with the intro of the Prowler, it had a small flip up hood, drop removable side panels, no bumper and handlebar mounted windscreen, no belly pan but a skid pan. A/C version was much improved over Yamaha in the fact they introduced the A-Arms suspension to the mountain scene on this sled.
BRP, used this concept with the Rev, small flip up hood, drop down removable side panels, handlebar mounted windscreen, no bumper or belly pan but a skid pan.
BRP, just like A/C improved this concept by centralizing the weight with their pyramid chassi.
Now today every manufacture has done their bit to improve their snowmobile, the basic concept design has evolved and will continue. But they all use a very similar body, chassi concept, first introduced by Yamaha but now highly evolved and after 30 years it should be.
Funny how some forget and choose to know what they feel is right. If your young then its understandable.

I remember the day i first saw a Rev at the dealer, spring of 2003. I said "holy crap, thats like the old Yammys". I know its not but my first impression.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's some insight.... You should just stop, you're embarrassing yourself.

Honestly i'm not here for popularity so don't care.
I think the real issue is people get confused with the word "concept" and in my first post i said "concept"...now go read my first post again then read the meaning of "concept"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concept

My first post, you will find it on page 13, notice also i put they used their own innovations. Highlighted in green

"Actually the the Rev concept was inspired by the original Yamaha Phazer 1984. Arctic Cat took the Phazer design a step further with the 1990 Prowler. Then BRP took that concept to the Rev. with their own innovations. So stating every one fallowed or copied the Rev. isn't really true.
BTW i bought a Yamaha Phazer, first year production in 1984....it was a solid sled and eventually made a reputation for it self. Was also known as the Darthvadder because of its unusual looks."

Last edited:

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey could one of you engineers please explain to me why Polaris (and every other 2017 factory snocross sled)
run rear torsion springs if they are so inferior to a coil?

http://www.snowmobile.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/2017-Polaris-600R-Profile.jpg

Not that you brought it up but it's the same reasoning that people suggest Polaris's steering is inferior.

My point proven. The torsion springs are not inferior. They are a design that works for its intended platform. So would that not be the same for Polaris's steering? It works just fine.

The G4 front sits on the same S-36 package with the Ras spindles and sits on essentially the same skid design from the last 6-8 years. Nothing groundbreaking there. So what other than the 850 power plant makes it a whole bunch better? I would love to get one for 10-12 rides and really get comfortable on it but as the chassis itself rides on a suspension package that I have never been a fan of I would never change back to Doo in hopes the chassis can overcome what I dislike about Doo's.

But as I have said numerous times luckily there are other brands to ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not that you brought it up but it's the same reasoning that people suggest Polaris's steering is inferior.

My point proven. The torsion springs are not inferior. They are a design that works for its intended platform. So would that not be the same for Polaris's steering? It works just fine.

The G4 front sits on the same S-36 package with the Ras spindles and sits on essentially the same skid design from the last 6-8 years. Nothing groundbreaking there. So what other than the 850 power plant makes it a whole bunch better? I would love to get one for 10-12 rides and really get comfortable on it but as the chassis itself rides on a suspension package that I have never been a fan of I would never change back to Doo in hopes the chassis can overcome what I dislike about Doo's.

But as I have said numerous times luckily there are other brands to ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I didn't bring up the steering, but I'll be honest,, not a big fan of the linkage setup.
Sure it works, but generally has a lot more play in the steering than a solid post design.

I'm not a fan of the vertical steering either, but that is a preference thing.

As far as the skid goes, the design hasn't really changed in 30 years. More travel/better shocks/less bogey wheels and that's it.

The Polaris,Skidoo,Cat,Yamaha's skid all use the same basic design.

The Doo has the "t-motion" which sets it apart. Is it beneficial? On my freeride absolutely. G4 might be better without? Or maybe not? That is debatable.

The G4 comes with not that great of shocks and that was a big reason I didn't buy one for this year.
It has a lot of snap, so it could benefit from some coupling.

The 850 motor is without a doubt the biggest selling feature (to me) of the sled. Put better shocks on, kiss coupler and do some clutching
and that sled will dominate big time.

Axys Skid

Skidoo tmotion

1455035084185.png

Cat-
RearSkid_162LTD-Grn_S_2017.jpg_1600.jpg

1996 670 summit skid

s-l225.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom