boy oh boy......

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah but most of them have been riding the XM believing they are riding something with 163hp but really riding something in the peak 152-154 range. Put them on something that makes 165hp and it might feel like 100hp lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Haha marketing at its finest.

Probably more like 120-135HP at elevation.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Haha marketing at its finest.

Probably more like 120-135HP at elevation.

Something BRP has always excelled at, the marketing department. If their sled's were as good as their marketing department, the parts department would be out of work.
The difference is its pretty hard to hide BS in the real deal.
I still stand with one of my quotes, "certain things really never change at BRP". Not a bash but honestly. If BRP did proper R&D and testing on their new models, spent a few season working out the bugs and not pushing the product through their system to the consumer so quickly, they would have an ABSOLUTELY premium sled. The ideas they come up with i love and ground breaking but the arrogance and over confidence has a way of biting back.
Sounds to me the consumer is the test mule for BRP again. Personally i find it hard to buy into that. One issue, two issue OK, but HOLY a multitude????

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I seen 2 on a helicopter rope last week as well. Phone shut off due to -20 so I couldn't snap pic. I swear the one didn't have a track on it, my buddy couldn't confirm- he's blind
there are a pile of new 850's out there already, and lots of **** to hit out there still, don't ride to hard boys.

polaris.phone?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tunnel vision/narrow minded thinking at its best right here. I love how you stated earlier that "polaris and arctic cat are for beginners" and "Ski-doos are for experts" lol cause every professional rider is on a ski-doo right? You can make the "they get paid to say its the best sled argument" and will ride what ever they get paid to ride, but at the end of the day guys like burandt, skinner, ect would ride a ski-doo if they were that much better. There is no far superior chassis, I have ridden all three in the same day same conditions and could ride all three to the same ability once used to them. Its rider preference thats it.

Get off your step stool pedestal and stop being so narrow minded.

With that being said I think the G4 165 850 is the best stock sled on snow this year. Theres always one clear cut winner IMO. Good on ski-doo, took long enough for a manufacturer to come out with a bigger CC sled, I hope cat and poo follow next year.

what? absolutely they would be on skidoo if the offer was the same. I can tell you right now skidoos fleet deals for professional riders is not as good as Polaris and cat. lets not forget chris burandt and saheen skinner have businesses to run. now if they are anything like my business we try to make the most profit possible and use WHATEVER equipment necessary to do so. when Polaris offers you 15 free machines, 5 for yourself and 10 rentals that you sell at the end of the season its kind of a no brainer. if you think for a second that any professional rider that is also trying to run a business wouldn't change brands for the right deal you are sadly mistaken. Polaris can keep burandt hes a dick anyways. at the end of the day its about dollars. granted the relationships these guys build with the manufacturers are worth something to them hence why the deal would have to be much sweeter than what they are currently receiving to jump ship and also loose their credibility for saying brand X was the best for the last 5 years.

Last edited:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the problem is typically user related with any brand. its been -20 to -30 lately and most sleds are sitting outside on a frozen deck. likely fired up backed off the trailer then full wick down the trail to the alpine without so much as a warmup. very few people actually do a proper warm up procedure they are way to horny to get rolling. even people that say they do absolutely dont.

how viscous do you think that engine oil is? how about that chain case oil at -30?

how flexible do you figure that belt is at -30?

alot of damage is done before even hitting the alpine.

a belt a chain and an engine all require the same warmup procedure its called calm the fawk down. get things warm and loose in the engine bay before squawking on it. ride a couple of km at varying throttle positions to get everything to operating temperature.

i know a guy thats never blown a chain,belt or engine by doing just this. LOL

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also the chain tensioner is on the drive side and not coast side, unlike a xm

That's much more load on chain ect

sent while drinking tea's

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Also the chain tensioner is on the drive side and not coast side, unlike a xm

That's much more load on chain ect

What's a chain ect?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
what? absolutely they would be on skidoo if the offer was the same. I can tell you right now skidoos fleet deals for professional riders is not as good as Polaris and cat. lets not forget chris burandt and saheen skinner have businesses to run. now if they are anything like my business we try to make the most profit possible and use WHATEVER equipment necessary to do so. when Polaris offers you 15 free machines, 5 for yourself and 10 rentals that you sell at the end of the season its kind of a no brainer. if you think for a second that any professional rider that is also trying to run a business wouldn't change brands for the right deal you are sadly mistaken. Polaris can keep burandt hes a dick anyways. at the end of the day its about dollars. granted the relationships these guys build with the manufacturers are worth something to them hence why the deal would have to be much sweeter than what they are currently receiving to jump ship and also loose their credibility for saying brand X was the best for the last 5 years.
If I got a free 850 I would ride it.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lol...wut? the tensioner is still on the slack side.
Wut, one side of the 2 gears and chain set up that doesn't have the tensioner, is the drive side under load

The other side would be the coast side with tensioner under load

Last edited:

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Jeff the tensioner on the G4 is correct and mounted in the proper place like any other snowmobile out there. I know this cause i had one apart already.
The reason this sled has chain issues is very simple. Its too LONG. It has nothing to do with the fact some (certain individuals) people are trying to tell you because of the extra power. That's funny in its own way but the chain during its initial breakin X its length is causing issues with over all stretch. After breakin this will most likely not be an issue.
I would highly advise guys to replace the oil at the same time. This would had been a significantly better system if it had a 2 short chain set up with idler gear.

The other thing is unless BRP have changed their product ways, past BRP gears are powder stamped and not milled. They do this cause it is cheaper to produce. The problem with the technique is, the gear is not as strong and the chain will wear into it. This also will add to the slack in the chain.

Last edited:

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
An automatic tensioner probably would have worked well too.

An auto adjuster would initially help keep it within spec's for a while but the big problem is the length. And i know BRP engineers know this.
You can only control chain deflection so much when your chain becomes too long. No matter how much tension you put on the chain tensioner the longer the chain the more deflection your going to get. Eventually the deflection will cause trouble or your going to over load something. Over load can be as simple as hooking in with the track on something solid.
It is a poor design, the only way to over come this in such a long chain case design is a double chain and idler.

Last edited:

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
are they using a hyvo chain or standard one

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Jeff the tensioner on the G4 is correct and mounted in the proper place like any other snowmobile out there. I know this cause i had one apart already.
The reason this sled has chain issues is very simple. Its too LONG. It has nothing to do with the fact some (certain individuals) people are trying to tell you because of the extra power. That's funny in its own way but the chain during its initial breakin X its length is causing issues with over all stretch. After breakin this will most likely not be an issue.
I would highly advise guys to replace the oil at the same time. This would had been a significantly better system if it had a 2 short chain set up with idler gear.

The other thing is unless BRP have changed their product ways, past BRP gears are powder stamped and not milled. They do this cause it is cheaper to produce. The problem with the technique is, the gear is not as strong and the chain will wear into it. This also will add to the slack in the chain.
It's 180 different than a xp - xm

You have had a g4 apart before???

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

if they put the chain tensioner on the load side they aren't too bright

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
are they using a hyvo chain or standard one

They are using the standard chain, Yamaha is the only one that uses a hyvo chain as factory. To my knowledge.
Powder press gears not milled and standard chain. This is standard manufacturing for BRP product.

Yesterday. The reason your thinking that is because your looking at the adjuster screw only. The tensioner it self is in the correct location. The adjuster screw is in the opposite location to previous models, this has no baring on the tensioner location.
So the tensioner is in the front of box (like normal) and the adjuster screw is at the back of box, instead of front.

Last edited:
Top Bottom