boy oh boy......

Skegmeister

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
factory 4-stroke + turbo powered sled less than 500#'s... Yammy and AC are 80% there.

beep.jpg

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Honestly i'm not here for popularity so don't care.
I think the real issue is people get confused with the word "concept" and in my first post i said "concept"...now go read my first post again then read the meaning of "concept"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concept

My first post, you will find it on page 13, notice also i put they used their own innovations. Highlighted in green

"Actually the the Rev concept was inspired by the original Yamaha Phazer 1984. Arctic Cat took the Phazer design a step further with the 1990 Prowler. Then BRP took that concept to the Rev. with their own innovations. So stating every one fallowed or copied the Rev. isn't really true.
BTW i bought a Yamaha Phazer, first year production in 1984....it was a solid sled and eventually made a reputation for it self. Was also known as the Darthvadder because of its unusual looks."

The Phazer was so good that there are still three we use regularly at the farm. The Revs, XPs and Polaris we had are all gone - but he Phazers remain. (Joey is correct on their greatness!!)
No fan cool floats on snow like a Phazer and the modular hood of the 81 440SRX predated the Phazer a couple years but yes Yammi was first.
I wonder if all the clips screws supports that make up a modular hood and side panels are lighter than the one piece hood.

G4 hood/cluster pod without side panels is 18.5#

Last edited:

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Phazer was so good that there are still three we use regularly at the farm. The Revs, XPs and Polaris we had are all gone - but he Phazers remain. (Joey is correct on their greatness!!)
No fan cool floats on snow like a Phazer and the modular hood of the 81 440SRX predated the Phazer a couple years but yes Yammi was first.
I wonder if all the clips screws supports that make up a modular hood and side panels are lighter than the one piece hood.

G4 hood/cluster pod without side panels is 18.5#

Unfortunately, some people walk around with blinders on and feed off the gods they worship most.
Yes Joey was correct on their greatness.
BTW yes i completely forgot about the 81 SRX, yes it was the precursor to the Phazer that lead to todays designs.

Allseasons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I seen 2 on a helicopter rope last week as well. Phone shut off due to -20 so I couldn't snap pic. I swear the one didn't have a track on it, my buddy couldn't confirm- he's blind
there are a pile of new 850's out there already, and lots of **** to hit out there still, don't ride to hard boys.

Last edited:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Maybe it is quite simple....................PDI has gone to hell with some dealers. The XM's had a great run and IMHO were pretty near bullet proof and some of the technicians got a little lax. If it is excess oil causing the belts to blow up, some clutches mis-aligned, some coolant not topped up, and now a chain case not set up properly, maybe it is time to look at the staff in the shops. Not all G4's are having problems. Are these from dealers who still have conscientious staff? It is easy to jump on a band wagon when there appears to be problems but to try to think about the problems objectively is another problem key board jockey have.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe it is quite simple....................PDI has gone to hell with some dealers. The XM's had a great run and IMHO were pretty near bullet proof and some of the technicians got a little lax. If it is excess oil causing the belts to blow up, some clutches mis-aligned, some coolant not topped up, and now a chain case not set up properly, maybe it is time to look at the staff in the shops. Not all G4's are having problems. Are these from dealers who still have conscientious staff? It is easy to jump on a band wagon when there appears to be problems but to try to think about the problems objectively is another problem key board jockey have.

I hope you are not suggesting clutching aligning is a PDI issue. Excess oil? Stretching to find reasons here aren't you? I have had the oil cap come off on a sled and dump oil over the belt and ran it fine. If anything these new sleds have so few items that fall under the PDI check as long as there is oil in the chain case and belt is somewhat on properly they are going to run no matter what.

The fact is, some sleds have problems and some don't. A lot of that could be induced by the operator. Slow old guys aren't going to put a lot of high demand into a sled like a 20 year old throttle happy kid who has nothing to lose. this is all highlighted by the sled being new and everyone knows new releases have some problems.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hope you are not suggesting clutching aligning is a PDI issue. Excess oil? Stretching to find reasons here aren't you? I have had the oil cap come off on a sled and dump oil over the belt and ran it fine. If anything these new sleds have so few items that fall under the PDI check as long as there is oil in the chain case and belt is somewhat on properly they are going to run no matter what.

The fact is, some sleds have problems and some don't. A lot of that could be induced by the operator. Slow old guys aren't going to put a lot of high demand into a sled like a 20 year old throttle happy kid who has nothing to lose. this is all highlighted by the sled being new and everyone knows new releases have some problems.
Danny Danny Danny..........oil dumped on your belt and clutch and it still ran fine? You are usually a great source of information but tonight you are stretching it even more than that guys chain was. Lmao!

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Danny Danny Danny..........oil dumped on your belt and clutch and it still ran fine? You are usually a great source of information but tonight you are stretching it even more than that guys chain was. Lmao!

No but to suggest the belt is blowing because of oil? Of course I cleaned my clutch and my belt off before running it once I noticed it was slipping but come on. Of course this was on the Polaris so the clutches ran much better than Doo's to begin with Lol.

Remember the 09 plastic secondary belt adjuster? Those things would spin out on you going down the trail at Mach chicken then bounce around for awhile. Lol. BRP has been known to have some over sights.

I would expect a BRP service bulletin for a 5 hour check to verify chain tension on these sleds pretty quick. The majority of guys who wrench on their own stuff know to do this but more than ever there is a class of riders who don't know the first things about general maintenance and stuff like this is going to happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's the deal. There is not just oil on the clutch but in the clutch's from what I hear. There is oil on the belt guard, foam and pan underneath the clutch's. Cleaning just the clutch faces is not going to cut it the way I see it. The clutch area needs at least a full can of Brake Kleen on everything and in everything IMO or a good Hotsy wash like phiz was saying. As far as the chain breaking. How many kms was on it? Was it snugged up through that period? Was it over tightened. Lots of things can cause a chain to break and we all know a new chain, especially one that long will stretch when new? I hate to see this turn into a BRP has faulty chains thread as well until we get more credible info not just internet gobbly gook and hear say?

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's the deal. There is not just oil on the clutch but in the clutch's from what I hear. There is oil on the belt guard, foam and pan underneath the clutch's. Cleaning just the clutch faces is not going to cut it the way I see it. The clutch area needs at least a full can of Brake Kleen on everything and in everything IMO or a good Hotsy wash like phiz was saying. As far as the chain breaking. How many kms was on it? Was it snugged up through that period? Was it over tightened. Lots of things can cause a chain to break and we all know a new chain, especially one that long will stretch when new? I hate to see this turn into a BRP has faulty chains thread as well until we get more credible info not just internet gobbly gook and hear say?

Probly not his first Rodeo.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score

So you don't buy the fact that possibly today's technicians or some of the $15/hour help aren't doing the job? With regards to the oil cap coming off, I find it a little bit of a stretch that the oil from the tank on the right side would somehow get all over the clutches/belt on the left side and then it ran fine. If it ran fine, why do you clean that little bit of manufacturing oil off the belt prior to running a new belt. Seems like a waste of time if it ran fine with 2-stroke oil dumped all over it..........lol

Last edited:

Jorgy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what lol? the G4 is absolutely nothing like the axys. does not handle even remotely similar. the power isnt even in the same ballpark. you can hop from an XM to a g4 and be comfortable right away. you can not jump from an XM to an AXys and feel the same. you STILL have flat steering and that abortion of a steering linkage system. what a design that is......hey look at this new chassis design.....oh chit we forgot the steering! thats ok! we will just run a bunch of tubes and linkages and call it a snowmobile. there is not one other Toy in the motorsports industry that has a disaster of a steering system and poor geometry as the Pro and axys. its diffucult watching people struggle with that. maybe it works great on the trails......wait nope....not there either. They would actually have to design a proper chassis to accommodate a one piece steering post...instead year after year just putting different plastics and lightening up what is essentially a 2000zx chassis. polaris needs a new chassis plain and simple then they might have a contender.....would still need a 16x track (its 2016 get with the times) and about 15 more HP. good effort but not even in the same playing field yet

Tunnel vision/narrow minded thinking at its best right here. I love how you stated earlier that "polaris and arctic cat are for beginners" and "Ski-doos are for experts" lol cause every professional rider is on a ski-doo right? You can make the "they get paid to say its the best sled argument" and will ride what ever they get paid to ride, but at the end of the day guys like burandt, skinner, ect would ride a ski-doo if they were that much better. There is no far superior chassis, I have ridden all three in the same day same conditions and could ride all three to the same ability once used to them. Its rider preference thats it.

Get off your step stool pedestal and stop being so narrow minded.

With that being said I think the G4 165 850 is the best stock sled on snow this year. Theres always one clear cut winner IMO. Good on ski-doo, took long enough for a manufacturer to come out with a bigger CC sled, I hope cat and poo follow next year.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So you don't buy the fact that possibly today's technicians or some of the $15/hour help aren't doing the job? With regards to the oil cap coming off, I find it a little bit of a stretch that the oil from the tank on the left side would somehow get all over the clutches/belt on the right side and then it ran fine. If it ran fine, why do you clean that little bit of manufacturing oil off the belt prior to running a new belt. Seems like a waste of time if it ran fine with 2-stroke oil dumped all over it..........lol

Yes but on a Polaris the oil tank is on the same side as the belt. Lol

$15/hr PDI tech is going to do what's on the $15/hr PDI check list. If that is the case as you suspect the it's not the techs fault it's the shop paying a guy $15/hr to do PDI and expecting them to get more for their money. No PDI check list I have seen has "clean entire engine compartment including all clutch surfaces for excess oil"

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I don't think anyone is suggesting they are faulty but some of the onus has to be on the owner. If the owner can't think to check their own chain tension without realizing how long these chains are, more torque is being applied to them because of more power and big lugs on big tracks.

If BRP wants to nip it, then a service bulletin might help. Nothing about a recall but the dealers obviously need to educate the buyers better.

I actually spoke about the length of the chains awhile back. They look longer than the XM T3. I have no idea if this is true but I suggested they might stretch more if that was the case. Now a short period later a handful of busted chain cases show up. No proof it's the chain but a lot of people are sure talking about chain tension and yet the T3's have had very few chain related issues.

Gotta start somewhere.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think anyone is suggesting they are faulty but some of the onus has to be on the owner. If the owner can't think to check their own chain tension without realizing how long these chains are, more torque is being applied to them because of more power and big lugs on big tracks.

If BRP wants to nip it, then a service bulletin might help. Nothing about a recall but the dealers obviously need to educate the buyers better.

I actually spoke about the length of the chains awhile back. They look longer than the XM T3. I have no idea if this is true but I suggested they might stretch more if that was the case. Now a short period later a handful of busted chain cases show up. No proof it's the chain but a lot of people are sure talking about chain tension and yet the T3's have had very few chain related issues.

Gotta start somewhere.

Everyone makes it sound like this thing is putting out 100 HP more than an 800xm.

Chaincase and belts on turbo 800xms never seemed to have these problems...........

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tunnel vision/narrow minded thinking at its best right here. I love how you stated earlier that "polaris and arctic cat are for beginners" and "Ski-doos are for experts" lol cause every professional rider is on a ski-doo right? You can make the "they get paid to say its the best sled argument" and will ride what ever they get paid to ride, but at the end of the day guys like burandt, skinner, ect would ride a ski-doo if they were that much better. There is no far superior chassis, I have ridden all three in the same day same conditions and could ride all three to the same ability once used to them. Its rider preference thats it.

Get off your step stool pedestal and stop being so narrow minded.

With that being said I think the G4 165 850 is the best stock sled on snow this year. Theres always one clear cut winner IMO. Good on ski-doo, took long enough for a manufacturer to come out with a bigger CC sled, I hope cat and poo follow next year.
Bigger CC sleds are old news.

Skidoo had the 1000, brutal.
Polaris had the 900, brutal.
Cat had the 1000, not sure why they ever got rid of it, hopefully it makes a come back.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Everyone makes it sound like this thing is putting out 100 HP more than an 800xm.

Chaincase and belts on turbo 800xms never seemed to have these problems...........

Yeah but most of them have been riding the XM believing they are riding something with 163hp but really riding something in the peak 152-154 range. Put them on something that makes 165hp and it might feel like 100hp lol

Top Bottom