Blown Quick Drive Belt @ 625 miles

Blueriversledz-Digger

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A beautiful day off, first day out to ride without clients in while. Ventured 40 miles up a valley, just making it to the bowl we were planning on hanging in all day. Bang, the belt striped off about 10 teeth while sidehilling a fresh slope with no warning. I never had the belt skip or jump cogs before this time nor did I hit anything under the snow to load the track.

The belt lasted about 15 miles, as I was being pulled by another sled with a bunji and it was all we could do to get it out onto the main trail.

These Sleds will not drive out under their own power, once there's a flat spot with missing cogs. Unless you trail ride, it may get you back to the truck.

I Had a New belt at home and took 5 min to change, without the specialty shaft stubs.

Belt blew out at 625 miles and had 150 miles of road riding under 1/2 throttle for a break-in.

Hope we don't need to carry these belts with us at all times, but may be a good idea.

kwin

Reaction score
im at 55o miles, so it will be intresting to see if they hold, i sure like the weight loss and sound going down hill (quiet) but we need to make sure they will be bullet proof, way to much drama dragging one of these out of the back country, how do you change a belt without the specialty tools,? thanks for your advice

Blueriversledz-Digger

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lay the sled over on the PTO side.
Remove the upper Drive gear, but leave the Driven gear installed.
Place the new belt around the driven gear about an 1/8 of an inch down on the teeth.
Then place the upper drive gear into the belt, pushing up by hand get the gear to start on the shaft.
Once the drive gear is started, keep down pressure on the drive gear and have someone roll the track.
With the constant pressure on the upper Drive gear and the track turning the gear and belt will walk down into place.
Install a new drive gear bolt.

Worked well and was changed in the same time it would take to change a primary belt.

cassius

Reaction score
I blow a belt every 150 miles or so. Have had the drive shaft replaced, cogs replaced, have had the service manager break my last belt in and I got 2 hours on it in the powder and it blew. I've pretty much had enough. I pack a belt and all the tools. I'm on belt number 8 now.

loudmouth+coke

Reaction score
I blow a belt every 150 miles or so. Have had the drive shaft replaced, cogs replaced, have had the service manager break my last belt in and I got 2 hours on it in the powder and it blew. I've pretty much had enough. I pack a belt and all the tools. I'm on belt number 8 now.

Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story - "I'm on belt number 8 now".
seriously do you think anyone would believe that. There would have to be something seriously wrong for you to have even been through 2 or 3.

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story - "I'm on belt number 8 now".
seriously do you think anyone would believe that. There would have to be something seriously wrong for you to have even been through 2 or 3.

.....I'm pretty sure that was sarcasm...

I would believe that he's blown more than 3. There's many people saying they're on belt 2-3+. I remember with my proclimb guys blowing 1-2 belts a weekend and I was still on my factory at 1000km. Just cause its not happening to you, doesn't mean it's not happening to others. Hopefully Polaris figures it out quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No doubt 1200 miles on a 13 pro already wow.

There's a guy out here with 2500+ kms on his already... rides almost every day. He has an "alternative" career selling off label "pharmaceuticals" and pays cash for a new sled every year :nono: He has gone thru two drive shafts, but no quick drive belts :beer:

King of the hill

Reaction score
.....I'm pretty sure that was sarcasm...

I would believe that he's blown more than 3. There's many people saying they're on belt 2-3+. I remember with my proclimb guys blowing 1-2 belts a weekend and I was still on my factory at 1000km. Just cause its not happening to you, doesn't mean it's not happening to others. Hopefully Polaris figures it out quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doubt anyone has blown 3.
I have not heard of anyone saying they are on their 3+ belt.
There are a couple people who have broken one.

Rwestlake

Reaction score
That guy is not kidding. We have replaced 8 belts on his machine. His ride does have a boondocker race gas turbo setup. Since he had so many issue's I turbo'd my '13 155 Pro but rode all weekend at 12 psi of boost and no issue's. So I'd say we're pretty much stumped. I was hoping to replicate the issue. You can see my belt is stretched a bit now but I put 250 miles on the weekend and it didn't skip a beat.

vert_escape_03

Reaction score
I also bought a 2013 163" and after proper break in procedure I lost my first belt at 225 miles. Installed another belt and rode another easy 100 miles and I just lost my second belt today at 325 miles. I am fed up with this and cannot possibly afford a $180 belt everytime I go ride. Have the rest of you that have lost belts been buying them out of pocket or have you had luck dealing with Polaris for reimbursement?

Top Bottom