BC, what have you done???? NDP is gonna take you down, big time

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will be honest and admit I was on board with site C, totally 100% admit to being in favor of the project because yes I too thought we needed the power. However after talking with friends that work for hydro and meeting people over the last few and got some actual information from folks on the ground about how our power is distributed and as to the capacity we are capable of producing vs the amount we are actually producing the project actually doesn't make sense, but that's my opinion and it's not up to me to change anyone's mind nor do I care to. Not pissing and moaning because some of you agree with me. I just feel the liberal government had it's own agenda with the project, whether it was to sell the power or give it away as bc hydro currently does, the project doesn't make sense to me.

Maybe it does to you and hey that's fine.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok then don't educate your self and keep spewing BS. Those figures are if all the co-gen plants keep running under the NDP and it was before all the electric cars coming on the grid. We will be on the whole buying more power than we are selling. Site C is needed and it is green. Bird Slicer are not needed.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Must be why Bennett, Revelstoke and Mica dams are only using 3 of 6 turbines,

enough of the here say, he said, she said, I gotta a buddy, yadda yadda yadaa. How about some facts?

Here is one for you, a dam never runs all turbines, they are designed so at least one is always down for maintenance. If a dam says its running 100% capacity they still are not running all turbines, they are running all AVAILABLE trubines.

Lets stick our heads in the sand, my gosh, they are going to flood a few acres of hay producing land with some of the shortest growing seasons in the world. If you listen to the greenies they are flooding millions of acres of the most fertile land in the world. Have you ever been there? Seen the area, seen the land? I have seen the area and know it pretty well. Frankly I would be surprised if 5% of the land being flooded has any actual agricultural useage.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Must be why Bennett, Revelstoke and Mica dams are only using 3 of 6 turbines,

Here is another fact for you, we are in the middle of summer, power usage is low, peak power usage is during cold spells in the winter. You cant store electricity like you store oil or gas. You must have the capacity to spool up when you get to peak times. It is not about averages, it is about peaks and low points. Try explaining that to a greenie, almost impossible.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Majority of our hydro facilities are currently running less then 50% capacity, because I don't know you I live in a cacoon? And no once again I am yet to meet someone who does support it. If you and others that you know do that's fine, could really care less, it's your opinion. I'm not really sure what made me a hypocrite in any of my previous statement.

Perhaps your just a little soft skinned and because we don't agree on something you need to resort to name calling to prove some sort of point. But hey again it's your opinion and your entitled to it.

In my opinion I do not support site C

Seems to me your the one thats soft skinned. In my opinion your a hypocrite. Thats my opinion and as you said I am entitled to it, Its not name calling and sorry I hurt your poor little greenie feelings. Is that name calling? Im not sure, I guess I better consult a political correctness dictionary to straiten myself out. You done whining and feeling sorry for yourself now? I gotta go and find that dictionary.

sweld

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
enough of the here say, he said, she said, I gotta a buddy, yadda yadda yadaa. How about some facts?

Here is one for you, a dam never runs all turbines, they are designed so at least one is always down for maintenance. If a dam says its running 100% capacity they still are not running all turbines, they are running all AVAILABLE trubines.

Lets stick our heads in the sand, my gosh, they are going to flood a few acres of hay producing land with some of the shortest growing seasons in the world. If you listen to the greenies they are flooding millions of acres of the most fertile land in the world. Have you ever been there? Seen the area, seen the land? I have seen the area and know it pretty well. Frankly I would be surprised if 5% of the land being flooded has any actual agricultural useage.

Yeah. Even the Hoover dam doesn't run at full capacity. On the tour they said it takes a full year to rebuild each generator.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sure if it was sold at the same price as I am paying for it not pennies on the dollar. Why should the Americans get our power for a much cheaper rate then the people selling it to them.

It's not quite that easy , there are a lot of concessions made in other areas ...
We can't sell everything we have at full rate to the US and then want concessions on dairy quotas and soft wood or whatever ...
It all comes down to how good our negotiations are handled ...
I can tell you this ,if you constantly keep insulting your largest trading partner ..
It makes getting a better deal that much harder to get ...!

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seems to me your the one thats soft skinned. In my opinion your a hypocrite. Thats my opinion and as you said I am entitled to it, Its not name calling and sorry I hurt your poor little greenie feelings. Is that name calling? Im not sure, I guess I better consult a political correctness dictionary to straiten myself out. You done whining and feeling sorry for yourself now? I gotta go and find that dictionary.

How am I a greenie? Your making comments on speculation and in that case your a douchebag no speculation on that comment.

You no nothing of me but yet reference me as greenie.....
I have made no comment regarding environment or green energy or anything along that line other then it's not needed. Obviously you have some hurt feelings and I'm sorry for your negative attitude towards others, perhaps you weren't hugged enough as a child or have recently have suffered a loss.

If you take the time to cruise through the bc hydro website it actually tells you what precent of power each dam is putting out and what the capacity is. Ironically it also names the dams that are to be used in the event of more power being needed, without quoting I know of at least two on the Columbia system that aren't even producing power but are there just in case. The actual facts are yes as you say not all turbines are used in case they need to be fixed or replaced, good business model, but also they get replaced and when they do they are far more efficient then their previous model. Good news isn't it. If the power demands where there and it was needed I would be on board but there not.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Funny true story .. toured the Hoover dam a few years back . Great tour . Our guide was explaining how profitable the dam is , in fact just the tourism had exceeded their wildest expectations ...
thousand of times over ...!!
never mind the value of the diverted water / power .

Anyways .. a guy asked what it would cost today to replace .. in current $$$

After a pause .. the tour guide smiled and said it would never happen today ...never be built !
The guy said too much $$ ?
No
, the tour guy said with a smile ,the numbers would pay for it in no time ...BUT , the greenies would have it tied up in court so long ..
It would never get built !

There is a lesson in here ...

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Funny true story .. toured the Hoover dam a few years back . Great tour . Our guide was explaining how profitable the dam is , in fact just the tourism had exceeded their wildest expectations ...
thousand of times over ...!!
never mind the value of the diverted water / power .

Anyways .. a guy asked what it would cost today to replace .. in current $$$

After a pause .. the tour guide smiled and said it would never happen today ...never be built !
The guy said too much $$ ?
No
, the tour guy said with a smile ,the numbers would pay for it in no time ...BUT , the greenies would have it tied up in court so long ..
It would never get built !

There is a lesson in here ...

Been on two different tours at the Hoover dam, very impressive structure and the guide is probably right something like that would have extremely difficult time being built today and yes the greenies would definitely get in the way. As I recall the Hoover dam was built for water needs and the power was just a bonus, good payoff I would say. Totally agree we need to be thinking for the future. Take also into consideration that one new turbine does the work that 2 or 3 use to do and the fact there are dams already built just sitting idle already for the purpose of needing more power. If we were truly close to the point of needing the power and maybe I'm wrong but from talking with people that actually work at a couple of the dams and some hydro guys that say we aren't close I'm just not ready to support the commitment.

Site C has been on the agenda for decades, government agenda or political propaganda who knows.

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Living and voting in BC for ndp is easy just oppose all development and protest any other province who wants to access tide water. Actually Quebec are likely the smartest bunch continually threaten separation yet soak up billions in transfer payments at the same time.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How am I a greenie? Your making comments on speculation and in that case your a douchebag no speculation on that comment.

You no nothing of me but yet reference me as greenie.....
I have made no comment regarding environment or green energy or anything along that line other then it's not needed. Obviously you have some hurt feelings and I'm sorry for your negative attitude towards others, perhaps you weren't hugged enough as a child or have recently have suffered a loss.

If you take the time to cruise through the bc hydro website it actually tells you what precent of power each dam is putting out and what the capacity is. Ironically it also names the dams that are to be used in the event of more power being needed, without quoting I know of at least two on the Columbia system that aren't even producing power but are there just in case. The actual facts are yes as you say not all turbines are used in case they need to be fixed or replaced, good business model, but also they get replaced and when they do they are far more efficient then their previous model. Good news isn't it. If the power demands where there and it was needed I would be on board but there not.

Oh no, your calling me names, my feelings are getting hurt, Im going to need to go to counselling to get my self esteem back.

Once again you can only speculate and dont provide facts, "if you take time to cruise the bc hydro website" you say, how about posting a link to your facts. The 2 dams that arent producing power? You mean the two dams that never had hydro generating abilities and were built to hold water, not produce electricity? They will never produce power at the site of the dam, they were build to increase water storage for other dams to use when the water levels were getting low. Gee, another FACT that you never bothered to post.

Your right full of he said, she said but dont bother to read or understand the facts. Oh gosh darn BC Hydro has two dams that they aren't even producing power yet you dont bother to read on to find out that they were never built to produce power.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sure you can run all the turbines full throttle at a dam until all the water is gone ..then what. But one thing you can't do is turn on the wind for a bird slicer to slice up birds.

Last edited:

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the fact there are dams already built just sitting idle already for the purpose of needing more power.

once again you state something is a fact when in actuality you are completely wrong. How about trying to prove them so called facts? How about a name and location of said "idle" dams?

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh no, your calling me names, my feelings are getting hurt, Im going to need to go to counselling to get my self esteem back.

Once again you can only speculate and dont provide facts, "if you take time to cruise the bc hydro website" you say, how about posting a link to your facts. The 2 dams that arent producing power? You mean the two dams that never had hydro generating abilities and were built to hold water, not produce electricity? They will never produce power at the site of the dam, they were build to increase water storage for other dams to use when the water levels were getting low. Gee, another FACT that you never bothered to post.

Your right full of he said, she said but dont bother to read or understand the facts. Oh gosh darn BC Hydro has two dams that they aren't even producing power yet you dont bother to read on to find out that they were never built to produce power.[/QUOTE
Perhaps ask your mother to read it for you]

Because you demand links and to you nothing is right unless it's in the web

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.desmog.ca

Built: 1924

Generating capacity: 12 MW

Elko is not currently generating electricity. In 2014, BC Hydro asked Columbia Power to conduct a study of options for Elko Dam & Generating Station. In April 2016, BC Hydro decided to defer the Elko redevelopment project.

Our forecasts show that we won't need the additional energy by the in-service date of the proposed redevelopment project, and that we won't need it for some years after. When we have a need for additional energy, and as part of our Integrated Resource Plan process, we plan to revisit the redevelopment options for the Elko facility.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BC is very fortunate to be able to have hydroelectric dams, the cleanest energy of all. And we are very fortunate to have a premier with enough balls in this day and age to get this project off the ground. But we are very unfortunate to have stupid people who voted in even stupider people to run the province into the ground.

Top Bottom