BC LAWS & REGULATIONS - Know before you GO - It's cheaper

Ministik Man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know sledders have had a hard time these past 2 years with Hi-way & Back Country - Rules & Regulations.
Probably most of it is justified although a warning or notification of the infraction helps to educate sledders, just as good as a ticket.

While riding in BC, I had about all I could take of the ride up & down the rough trails so I made the decission to look both ways up and down the hi-way and no vehicles were coming. So I drove down the shoulder of the hi-way a short distance, tight to the snow burm. I know ---BAD CHOICE -- as I approched my turn off on the hi-way I did stop to look up & down the hi-way before crossing. To my surprise there were lights flashing behind me. I pulled off the hi-way into a safe place.

We had a lenghty discussion about snowmobilers causing our own grief....
We also discussed various rules and fines pertaining to snowmobiling and that basically they are the same through out BC they are more enforced within/along the major hi-ways and cities.

So I have scanned the "Snowmobiler's Guide to British Columbia's Laws and Regulations"
The complete and most uptodate legislation can be found at www.bclaws.ca

So we as sledders need to better educate each other as to the Rules & Regulations & the LAW.
There will be no complaining if we are not breaking any laws.

If you have any other Laws / Regulations / Bylaws / Rules we should post them to this link

Again thanks to the officer who took the time to review and educate, rather than just ticket and drive away. Thanks

Again the better educated we are the safer the snowmobiling becomes.

PLEASE keep this to an INFORMATIVE threat with NO Bashing of officers or enforcement - leave that in other threads... Thanks

Attachments

• BC Regs002.jpg
    BC Regs002.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 372
  • BC Regs003.jpg
    BC Regs003.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 358
  • BC Regs004.jpg
    BC Regs004.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 360
  • BC Regs005.jpg
    BC Regs005.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 370
  • BC Regs006.jpg
    BC Regs006.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 363
Last edited:

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So what's the deal. I though registration and insurance was not madetory but they have fines for it.
You see this on this forum so much. How do people get so misinformed? Sleds in BC are supposed to be registered. Doesn't get enforced enough imo but it is required. Authorities are getting better. I haven't been asked for regs on my sleds in over 25 years. This year, twice. Both times I told the Officer it was about time they started checking. But even they are still a bit sketchy on the regs. The Officer ended up asking me questions about the regs in BC and how they are different from Alta, so they are just getting caught up on this too. Better late than never I guess.:beer:

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
been told no insurance is need if the road is deactivated.....which means covered with snow.....this is why kids can still ride sleds here in BC since the road is deactivated......summer you have to be 16 to drive on the same road with your quad!

canuck5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
been told no insurance is need if the road is deactivated.....which means covered with snow.....this is why kids can still ride sleds here in BC since the road is deactivated......summer you have to be 16 to drive on the same road with your quad!

This makes no sense(insurance wise) as your still on Public land.......I dont get why anyone risks no insurance PL/PD is a couple hundred a year for ATV's covers your a$$ if something happens to another person or there equipment while out, like say your sled takes off binded throttle cable and takes out a couple other sleds and breaks someone leg would your want to be on the hook for that bill? Registration is a cash grab for off road vehicles but they can ticket you if ya dont have it. Ive never been checked in BC but always have it.

Top Bottom