Back country snowmobile guide requirements?

dooryder

XP V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
i am just wondering if any of you know what courses and stuff i would need to become a legit back country guide?

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You need a minimum CAA level 1 course perferably level 2, AST doesn't cut it. Also 80 hour wilderness first aid course. There is lots more to being a guide than just being a good rider. You either need to work for someone with tenure or apply for tenure yourself.

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As mentioned AST2 will NOT cut it for a guide. And as of next year as I understand it neither will a Level 1 Tech, you will need to be a CAA Level 2 to judge the safety of your workplace (as far as I currently understand the new worksafe changes)

Brad, you should really look into the NORE program offered by the college of new caledonia in Valemount.
Northern Outdoor Recreational and Ecotourism - Valemount

I believe it will run again this september and is a blast. Close to home for you, small class sizes, great instructors:eek: and an awesome atmosphere to learn in. This course is how I got my start in adventure recreation. It will be a starting point for year round guiding from whitewater rafting, horses, fishing etc, to sledding etc in the winter. I teach the winter sled portion, its a blast !

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
As mentioned AST2 will NOT cut it for a guide. And as of next year as I understand it neither will a Level 1 Tech, you will need to be a CAA Level 2 to judge the safety of your workplace (as far as I currently understand the new worksafe changes)

Brad, you should really look into the NORE program offered by the college of new caledonia in Valemount.
Northern Outdoor Recreational and Ecotourism - Valemount

I believe it will run again this september and is a blast. Close to home for you, small class sizes and a great instructors and an awesome atmosphere to learn in. This course is how I got my start in adventure recreation. It will be a starting point for year round guiding from whitewater rafting, horses, fishing etc, to sledding etc in the winter. I teach the winter sled portion, its a blast !
Do not forget to have a tenour on the mountain you plan to guide.

Could find yourself in some legalitize..(Not sure that spelling. LOL!) I might be ff base here, but are you talking skiing or sledding?
Sledders and sking opererations have tenours! (probably wrong on that spelling also.)

Just my 2 cents.
Call Tourism BC for more info.

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do not forget to have a tenour on the mountain you plan to guide.

Could find yourself in some legalitize..(Not sure that spelling. LOL!) I might be ff base here, but are you talking skiing or sledding?
Sledders and sking opererations have tenours! (probably wrong on that spelling also.)

Just my 2 cents.
Call Tourism BC for more info.

yes, tenure was already mentioned above, so i didnt bring it up. A first timer would get his start under a lead guide and tenured op i would assume.

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also having a good, reliable sled is crucial too. Sounds pretty obvious but you gotta factor in the wear and tear and sometimes accidents that will add up pretty quick.

Shifty423

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well at least he tries to figure out a way to support his life

talk to rob from adrenaline tours in mcbride pretty sure he would answer you all the questions brad

Ran Adrenaline for Rod last winter and I would recommend sitting down with Curtis as he has a larger knowledge of what you will need in our area. Rod is an amazing rider but for the book knowledge Curtis is really well versed and will be able to direct you on the right path... As mentioned before the Outdoor Rec program in Valemount would be a great start!!

Shifty

Top Bottom