Ashamed to be a sledder today!

TheMuffinMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So here's today's story. I had plans for a sled ride with the wife but when she woke up sick this morning I had to find something else to do today. Since I had no one to sled with I figured I would be safe and take in a half day of skiing at powder king instead. The day went great until I left the mountain and started to drive home. I was in the middle of a small vehicle convoy driving back and a short ways from the hill I noticed a truck with a loaded sled deck pulling out to pass the guy behind me. I thought to myself that this guy had better hurry up since there's a blind right hand turn coming up. I was horrified when, rather than pull in behind me, this guy stays on it and flys around me on the outside of the blind turn, doing at least a buck-40 on an icy mountain road (for the record the entire convoy I was in was already doing 5 over the limit). I was even more dumbfounded when this idiot remained in the wrong lane passing two more cars ahead of me on the outside of this turn. To cap it all off, his buddies behind him driving a pair of one-tons pulling enclosed trailers also blew by the entire group on the outside! All I can say is these guys were incredibly lucky that no one was coming the other way...at the speed they were moving there would have been no chance of avoiding a head on.Crap like this makes me want to sell my sled and go back to skiing full time so I don't get lumped in with morons like this. I don't care how good a driver you are or how good your tires are or whatever, driving like that shows nothing but a complete lack of respect for the rules of the road and the safety of those around you. Driving a one ton with studded tires does not give you license to drive like a complete retard! If you are one of the idiots that pulls this kind of chit...STOP !!! You are giving the entire sport a black eye and it's only a matter of time until you get somebody killed. Use your fawking head!!

sunshinesmiles

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are times I'm ashamed to be a quadder or camper !!! The crazy driving we see ever summer amazes me !!! Last summer 2 cars ahead of us were clearly having road rage..............throwing cans at each other..........passing on the shoulder of the road !!!!!! I thought oh god this isn't going to be good !!!!

revbyu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not to give the idiots that pasted u any credit - do you think they were so stupid to pass you not knowing what was ahead of them -maybe they were in convoy - would they possibly had someone with 2 way radio that would have given them a indication of what was up ahead for traffic !

Got boost want snow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Funny as it happens all the time, the only difference is these guys were hauling sleds which shows they are sledders. Could have had 2 or three cars do the same thing and have been skiers and unless the skis are in a ski rack you would never know. Not cool to put other people in danger like that.

TheMuffinMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know what you're saying got boost, I hate to paint everyone with the same brush but I can honestly say that 9 out of 10 times I see someone pulling a stunt like this they are driving a 1-ton with the full grande prairie package including a sled deck. Unfortunately it seems there is a direct correlation between patch or forestry workers and a complete disregard for highway safety (and I know they work in one of those two fields because they are the only guys who can afford to blow 90 grand on a truck). And if someone was indeed ahead of them on a two way perhaps the best thing to do would have been to tell them about the passing lane that was 2k up the road! Regardless, no way you should be taking a bend that fast when you are passing cars on an icy road.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Those guys were azzhats but gueeeesss what? Skiers do it as well. I've often told my family that the most dangerous part of a weekend of sledding is getting out there and getting home.

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know what you're saying got boost, I hate to paint everyone with the same brush but I can honestly say that 9 out of 10 times I see someone pulling a stunt like this they are driving a 1-ton with the full grande prairie package including a sled deck. Unfortunately it seems there is a direct correlation between patch or forestry workers and a complete disregard for highway safety (and I know they work in one of those two fields because they are the only guys who can afford to blow 90 grand on a truck). And if someone was indeed ahead of them on a two way perhaps the best thing to do would have been to tell them about the passing lane that was 2k up the road! Regardless, no way you should be taking a bend that fast when you are passing cars on an icy road.
Sounds to me like they had a lead dog radioing back that all was clear, scared some granola outa your shorts!!

Got boost want snow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree totally and at times I think we all are guilty of passing when maybe we should have waited. I do agree that the money that is spent on sleds and trucks is from those industries. Like I said if it had been cars and they may have been skiers you would have just let it go as a bunch with a death wish. And most of the skiers in this area work in those industries also.

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So here's today's story. I had plans for a sled ride with the wife but when she woke up sick this morning I had to find something else to do today. Since I had no one to sled with I figured I would be safe and take in a half day of skiing at powder king instead. The day went great until I left the mountain and started to drive home. I was in the middle of a small vehicle convoy driving back and a short ways from the hill I noticed a truck with a loaded sled deck pulling out to pass the guy behind me. I thought to myself that this guy had better hurry up since there's a blind right hand turn coming up. I was horrified when, rather than pull in behind me, this guy stays on it and flys around me on the outside of the blind turn, doing at least a buck-40 on an icy mountain road (for the record the entire convoy I was in was already doing 5 over the limit). I was even more dumbfounded when this idiot remained in the wrong lane passing two more cars ahead of me on the outside of this turn. To cap it all off, his buddies behind him driving a pair of one-tons pulling enclosed trailers also blew by the entire group on the outside! All I can say is these guys were incredibly lucky that no one was coming the other way...at the speed they were moving there would have been no chance of avoiding a head on.Crap like this makes me want to sell my sled and go back to skiing full time so I don't get lumped in with morons like this. I don't care how good a driver you are or how good your tires are or whatever, driving like that shows nothing but a complete lack of respect for the rules of the road and the safety of those around you. Driving a one ton with studded tires does not give you license to drive like a complete retard! If you are one of the idiots that pulls this kind of chit...STOP !!! You are giving the entire sport a black eye and it's only a matter of time until you get somebody killed. Use your fawking head!!

They were all probably drinking as they were going.

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sledders are definitely better drivers than skiers. We have to drive Hwy 33 out of Kelowna which is the same direction as Big White ski resort for about 20 kms. On weekends especially we have what is commonly known as the Big White 500. Idiots!!!! Worst offenders are Yuppies in SUV's thinking because they have 4 wheel drive they are invincible passing everyone, anywhere. Don't get passed by too many sledders.

Bullseye

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Everyone (or some anyway) thinks their time is more important than yours. No matter what speed you go now on ANY highway in Alberta .....some one HAS TO pass you !! QE2 is the worst ...you can be speeding already and someone WILL pass you !! 130 is the new speed I guess !!! (kms or mph, you choose).

Whats goofy is ..... you leave Red Deer and travel to Edmonton and all those guys that are bent on speeding on the way there, are all beside you when you pull into Edmonton...usually they are beside you at the first lights by Ikea! So does speeding really get you there that much faster ???

Come on people, slow down and enjoy life !! Even if you think you can handle it, you might just scare the s%@# out of someone you isn't as good of a driver as you !! Thats how accidents happen !!

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Everyone (or some anyway) thinks their time is more important than yours. No matter what speed you go now on ANY highway in Alberta .....some one HAS TO pass you !! QE2 is the worst ...you can be speeding already and someone WILL pass you !! 130 is the new speed I guess !!! (kms or mph, you choose).

Whats goofy is ..... you leave Red Deer and travel to Edmonton and all those guys that are bent on speeding on the way there, are all beside you when you pull into Edmonton...usually they are beside you at the first lights by Ikea! So does speeding really get you there that much faster ???

Come on people, slow down and enjoy life !! Even if you think you can handle it, you might just scare the s%@# out of someone you isn't as good of a driver as you !! Thats how accidents happen !!
I agree on this point, there is a good chance they knew the road was clear, but scaring people is arrogant.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Sounds like they were certainly driving recklessly and endangering others, but the Grande Prairie comment took a big chunk of cred out of your opinion. A bit judgemental are we, maybe the "Chetwynd package"an old beater with bald tires, 2 sleds in the box one sticking out each side, rusted all to hell, smoking like a wood stove, end gate tied with bungees, half a wrap of play in the steering, no defrosters, no taillights or signals, would a been better. OMG, i hope I'm not seen as generalizing or assuming. Drive safe boys.......wherever you come from, whatever you can afford to drive. We all gotta realize we are involved in a very obvious sport because we are so visible on the road, so dummy up folks. But to point a finger at one city or one group is a bit silly, plus I've driven a lot in G P and a bit in Chetwynd and I suggest the dummasses are about even

Flatlander_01

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Of course you knew they were from grande prairie when you called in the alberta plate to the rcmp?

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Of course you knew they were from grande prairie when you called in the alberta plate to the rcmp?
I think he was referring to the 1 ton diesel lifted with 37" tires, blacked out windows and 4" smoke augers. Didn't actually say they were from G.P.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I could say that some days I am ashamed to be a human being. Lots of azzhats out there. Some one posts a story about how bad some drivers are. Then you get people justifying these peoples actions.

I think that we could all start by showing a little more respect for one another, in both our actions and what we say.

Top Bottom