Ants, Ants amd more Ants

Switch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yard is getting taken over by Ants:rant:. More than I have seen in a few years everywhere, garden, flower beds, driveway etc.
I tried the premixed crap, hot water, etc and not much results, Anyone have a tried and trued method or concoction?

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Yard is getting taken over by Ants:rant:. More than I have seen in a few years everywhere, garden, flower beds, driveway etc.
I tried the premixed crap, hot water, etc and not much results, Anyone have a tried and trued method or concoction?

Had the same ... every now and then it's best to call the exterminator. Shouldn't be more than 400 but it's worth it. In inbetween years I use that white powder stuff for outside hills. Ants love these hot dry conditions.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If I can find the ant hill, I've found pouring a bit of gasoline on it to make short work of the colony. Probably not the recommended method and it kills the grass, but it is pretty effective.

Switch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've tried gas on my driveway with good results but can't use it in the flower beds.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Take a cotton ball, soak it in a sugar water mixed with borax. The ants love em.

1 cup sugar, 3 tablespoons borax, 3 cups warm water. You gotta mix it good, then just dip the cotton ball in the mixture and put them around. Credit to my cousins wife on that one.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Tried and true is Malathion. I buy mine at Canadian Tire and mix it twice as strong as they recommend. Spray (I use a small spray bottle for ants and a bigger compressed air sprayer on the trees) it on the "nest" or "hill" and they are gone, dead, caputski. I also use a lesser strength for aphids and other insects on the trees and flowers.

Our ants love to get under our flat decorative rocks and one dose of Malathion is all it takes. I think a bottle is in the neighbourhood of $20 and it will last for a couple of years.

We noticed ants in the hummingbird feeders already and sure enough they were under the rocks below. Lots of eggs and lots of ants. One shot and the ants are gone. The environmental movement and some safety department with the government has decided that the good stuff should only be in the hands of the professionals. Malathion is still available. You may have to ask for it as some places keep it in the back.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the answer. We have a few in the front flower bed.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like FS said malathion is the stuff to use. I mix it up in a chemical sprayer it is wise to wear gloves and a respirator as it is nasty stuff but damn effective.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Like FS said malathion is the stuff to use. I mix it up in a chemical sprayer it is wise to wear gloves and a respirator as it is nasty stuff but damn effective.

One can add Malathion to all the other chit in the song that I was raised on..............................Mom used that stuff like it was going out of style on her house plants and in the garden.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vpSLbYUHVY

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It was such a warm winter, it never killed them, we have had ants since March coming in our house

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup, big ant issue here too. Front lawn, back lawn, coming over from the neighbours. Other day there were hundreds and hundres of the largest red ants I had seen between our yard the neighbours. Used the big jug of retail spray with battery powered sprayer and it seemed to make them go away. Was insane....like they were mating or something. I think you never really can get rid of them unless you get the queen, otherwise they just move.

Borax and sugar works, one neighbour said cayene pepper, other said icing sugar and baking soda as they eat it then the baking sode reacts with thier gut and they explode. I have to try that one just because.

Malathion....i remember my parents spraying a lot of that stuff too. No mask and a big could of spray!

smokinD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mixeduess fuel works great poke some holes then pour it on there they move right out dont like like 2strokes i guess!

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've used the cans of Raid Ants, has a nozzle with about a 4 inch hose on it. Jam it down the hole and spray. Foams and kills them off under ground. I've had pretty good luck with this., usually 1 application knocks them down ( depending on the size of the hill of course)

Sent from my iPad

MACHINE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A few kettle of boiling water and watch them do the happy dance lol

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Having similar issues here too. So far been mixing borax and icing sugar. Seems to be slowing them down and haven't seen any in the house for a couple weeks.

Top Bottom