800r spark plug de-gapped

TABSTER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i think there programmed to blow up at around 2400 km plus or minus a few...... its a BRP conspiracy.....sounds like being in the 800r rebuilding business is a gold mine...........:rolleyes:

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i think there programmed to blow up at around 2400 km plus or minus a few...... its a BRP conspiracy.....sounds like being in the 800r rebuilding business is a gold mine...........:rolleyes:
I wondered that myself. know of 3 '08 xp's that have stuck a slug in the last 5 days....wtf

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

i dont think the 07/ early 08 800r should be grouped in the same category for reliability as the rest of the 800r sleds. badddd year

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just hope mine doesnt go down before mm4 of everyone would make fun of me...no one would know though :D
I'm as loyal to 'doo as they come. good or bad, I don't mind sharing my experiences. I have done enough jabbing at the other guy's sleds, I can take some ribs too....:d

TABSTER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm as loyal to 'doo as they come. good or bad, I don't mind sharing my experiences. I have done enough jabbing at the other guy's sleds, I can take some ribs too....:d

did you get a free tub of A535 to rub on your turd cutter when BRP bent you over?..........:eek:

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
did you get a free tub of A535 to rub on your turd cutter when BRP bent you over?..........:eek:
I really have no memory of that incident...could be PTSD, or might be rufenol, chloroform....hypnosis maybe? not sure what they used on me....

snoking

Reaction score
And I was quite proud to have an original engine still while I watched every 07 and 08 lose the crank. I guess 2400 miles is about the limit.

knee deep in it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wonder if we have reached the ragged edge of performance vs reliability? 150+ hp is a lot of power coming from engines that were originally designed for much less. I think this is especially true for 2 stroke engines.

Maybe it is time for the manufacturers to bring back tripples for the big hp market. Maybe if they offered a 600 and 700 twin, and a 1000 tripple putting out a reliable 175 hp.

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wonder if we have reached the ragged edge of performance vs reliability? 150+ hp is a lot of power coming from engines that were originally designed for much less. I think this is especially true for 2 stroke engines.

Maybe it is time for the manufacturers to bring back tripples for the big hp market. Maybe if they offered a 600 and 700 twin, and a 1000 tripple putting out a reliable 175 hp.
OMFG please no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! did you ever ride a stock triple? There are huge reasons why they went away. If you want huge power then go 4 cylinders. go all the way!!!! 250 horse stock. 400 with pipes and nos.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

We reached the edge of performance and reliabliity a few yrs ago IMO. Now they are just blowing up sooner and sooner every year. Pretty soon pre-season maintenance will include installing a new shortblock every year.

Big triples will likely never make a comeback, and not for the reasons Polarblu stated IMO. I know many people that loved to ride them. The chassis designs were dated but that also has changed. I still love riding them, I can't ride mine for more than 1 day because my arms hurt so bad from hanging on, seriously. The power is addicting. I'd love to see a fuel injected triple like a sea doo motor in a sled but no chassis to fit it. One drawback is trying to start it at anything below -15C also, I'd rather bench press a school bus. However....they won't be back because they are too expensive to manufacture well with balance shafts, too heavy for today's riders who don't know how to steer a sled using just the throttle, and none of the chassis' available today would be able to fit one. Big power now comes in the form of a hairdryer...reliabilility goes out the window. Sledding is becoming a rich man's sport slowly moreso each year unfortunately.

I think they need to back down the HP and gain some motor life back because I still don't understand why we need a 175 HP 800cc sled, most guys cannot ride a 150 HP sled to it's full potential.

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We reached the edge of performance and reliabliity a few yrs ago IMO. Now they are just blowing up sooner and sooner every year. Pretty soon pre-season maintenance will include installing a new shortblock every year.

Big triples will likely never make a comeback, and not for the reasons Polarblu stated IMO. I know many people that loved to ride them. The chassis designs were dated but that also has changed. I still love riding them, I can't ride mine for more than 1 day because my arms hurt so bad from hanging on, seriously. The power is addicting. I'd love to see a fuel injected triple like a sea doo motor in a sled but no chassis to fit it. One drawback is trying to start it at anything below -15C also, I'd rather bench press a school bus. However....they won't be back because they are too expensive to manufacture well with balance shafts, too heavy for today's riders who don't know how to steer a sled using just the throttle, and none of the chassis' available today would be able to fit one. Big power now comes in the form of a hairdryer...reliabilility goes out the window. Sledding is becoming a rich man's sport slowly moreso each year unfortunately.

I think they need to back down the HP and gain some motor life back because I still don't understand why we need a 175 HP 800cc sled, most guys cannot ride a 150 HP sled to it's full potential.
I agree with modman on the reliability but stick to my guns on triples. I compare the triples to a 440 six pack compared to a 426 hemi. both great but the hemi would beat the 440 cause of tuning issues every time on the street. the more carbs the more problems. The big twin is still the best bet. Just need some reverse enginering.Take the failures and make a great engine. Lets think..... Poo has a great power curve that sqeuuks in the mid............BRP fall flat in the mid............... maybe we have a connection? BRP goes rich in the mid to hold it together? Looks to be an air flow problem in the mid to me!!??

Mr.Plow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And I was quite proud to have an original engine still while I watched every 07 and 08 lose the crank. I guess 2400 miles is about the limit.

there is nothing wrong with geting 2400 miles out of a motor. hell all i got was 1300 before mine went. its not that bad.

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with modman on the reliability but stick to my guns on triples. I compare the triples to a 440 six pack compared to a 426 hemi. both great but the hemi would beat the 440 cause of tuning issues every time on the street. the more carbs the more problems. The big twin is still the best bet. Just need some reverse enginering.Take the failures and make a great engine. Lets think..... Poo has a great power curve that sqeuuks in the mid............BRP fall flat in the mid............... maybe we have a connection? BRP goes rich in the mid to hold it together? Looks to be an air flow problem in the mid to me!!??

um rich in mid range?been awhile sence you've ben on a doo huh?:)

Top Bottom