19 mountain cat no spark

Flat

Reaction score
Hey all, was riding today, stopped for lunch and when we started riding again the sled stopped like I hit the kill switch. Pulled the rope and it started. Rode a bit and it died again like I hit the kill switch. This went on a couple times, ending with the sled not starting. Checked for spark and did not have any. Pulled exhaust off to look closer at wiring, checked for spark again, had spark. Put plugs in and it started. Put everything else back on and no start. Decided we would have to pull sled out. Started pulling it out, decided to try and start it. Fired right up. Started riding out, died again after a few mins. Wouldn't start, so we just pulled it ahead a few feet, tried starting it again and it fired right up. It kept doing this, and finally got back to the parking lot. Does anyone have any ideas what is going on.

We checked kill switch connection on the hill.

mclean

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I remember my buddy had to disconnect his gauges and another plug maybe when that happened. Not much help as it was a few years ago but i remember him disconnecting some things

Flat

Reaction score
It didn't seem to make a difference if the gauge was plugged in or not, tried starting it numerous times both way. It seems like if the track turned a bit it would start, but when it dies and rolls to a stop, those track rotations don't do it. Have to pull it ahead a couple feet after it comes to a stop and then it will fire up again

rsmorin1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My brother had an 18 with a faulty wiring harness. Luckily his was replaced under warranty. Might need to have someone wiggle connections while trying to start it? Any codes?

mountianguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The sled has all the signs of a failed coil on the stator. Easy to check just need an ohm meter. Go to Country Cat for a service manual.

Flat

Reaction score
It's got a factory tether. I'll check out the coil.
Does anyone have an idea why pulling the sled ahead a couple feet allows it to start again?

mountianguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most likely moving it has nothing to do with it restarting. As the coil heats up it expands and pulls apart at the break then as it cools the wire goes back together and restarts. This can happen very quickly or not depends on the break. It could also be the ignition coil that has issues.

Last edited:

Flat

Reaction score
Most likely moving it has nothing to do with it restarting. As the coil heats up it expands and pulls apart at the break then as it cools the wire goes back together and restarts. This can happen very quickly or not depends on the break. It could also be the ignition coil that has issues.
That would make sense if it would start without moving the sled. After it quits I can pull until my arms fall off and it won't start, but move the sled ahead a couple feet and it starts. I have it at the dealer to get the codes read.

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's very strange. Only the speed pick-up is affected by moving the sled.

Top Bottom