3000 Watt Generators, Which Brand, Why?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I changed from a big 5800w Mitsubishi because of the weight and problems incurred getting it up on the flat deck. Way too heavy but great for producing power. Easily managed the whole site for the Fernie Snowmobile cabin build. Plug in just about anything we could throw at it and never missed a beat (had the hand clapping scenarios many times with the smaller ones guys would bring out). It was a back up for our Elkford house when the power went out. Great generator; heavy, loud, did the job always.
I now have a 3400w Inverter type Champion at just under 100 pounds full of gas (still a little tough to get it on the flat deck). Glad I bought it, as I didn’t really know how much power I needed (my electrical math is not up to par). Long story short, if my air compressor is running and I turn on my DeWalt 12” compound mitre saw, I throw a code and need to unplug and start over turning them on. Start up wattage is big I’m guessing. So I now know, that a 3400w Champion is not really enough power for my liking. What size Honda would I need? I don’t know. Can I trust sale people? Not likely....
Tyler, if you are going to build more don’t under size is probably the moral of my long, windy story.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How about the Generac IQ3500...Don't own one but from what I have read, lighter than Honda (109Lbs), 5dB quieter, more power, more starting watts, half the cost.

frock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure if it matters to you, but the Honda 3000 inverter will run for 24 hours on a tank of fuel. I built a wheel kit for mine, that was a must cause they are heavy. As others have stated they are quiet, have electric start, reliable and they are an inverter if you are running any electronics with it.

4extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the honda 3000ui. I bought it in 2007. It has never let me down. I've replace the battery a few years ago. Probably more my fault than the battery's fault. The battery was dead and I think it froze over the winter.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
honda, because honda.

i dont have a 3000 but my 2000 inverter has been the best purchase ever

edit. I see you have a 2000 already and are having problems with it, sorry about your luck LOL

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Onan P4500i​

Running watts: 3700
Peak watts: 4500
Noise level: 52 dB
  • Push button and remote start - Pull cord backup
  • Quiet and durable - Double-insulated
  • Fuel efficient - 3.4 gallon fuel tank that runs 18 hours at 25% load
  • Lightweight - At 98 lbs. and with a telescopic handle and wheels it's lighter and easier to manage

This will be my next one made by Cummins. One was used in our group this summer, very quiet

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
honda, because honda.

i dont have a 3000 but my 2000 inverter has been the best purchase ever

edit. I see you have a 2000 already and are having problems with it, sorry about your luck LOL
I have a 2000 that I've had for 5+ years that was a cat rents unit for who knows how long before...... Google and YouTube says it's a plugged air jet on the carb. That's tonight's project

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2000 that I've had for 5+ years that was a cat rents unit for who knows how long before...... Google and YouTube says it's a plugged air jet on the carb. That's tonight's project

Engine is surging???

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a Firman inverter that I use off grid a lot. It’s quiet, runs 14 + hrs on 1.8 us gallons, and will run anything / everything in my 34’ 5th wheel. I think I paid $830 for it. Hour meter crapped out at 1500 hrs, but it’s basically pull and go…

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

K, Blocked carb port, easy fix due to bad gas.
Just make sure you get new carb gaskets, air box to carb, and carb to engine intake when you take the carb off to clean it.
My new Honda lawnmower started doing this in sept, it happens.

kenvb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i bought this 3000 Powerhouse 12 yrs ago for $600 elec remote start and pull start.its no Honda.but its sure been good,has 3500 hrs on it..,i put it 20 ft away when camping ,hardly hear it, i cant move it alone anymore..just found a 1000 Suuzki,we only need to charge batterys..dont have AC ,will throw it in with our trailer this spring.

Attachments

• generator.jpg
    generator.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 58

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it is a suitcase style so shouldn't be that loud and being that it runs off of propane it could be hocked up to a bottle and not have to worry about bad gas every year its called an ipower generator website says it is 58 db which is quiet for that size of gen. hope that help go to princess auto and check it out they have an excellent return policy
58, db is quite loud, honda 49-50 db yamaha is only slightly louder, don't get fooled on price.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the Yamaha have 2 or 3 year warranty whereas Honda only has 1 year. That was a while ago so not sure what each offers now. Although you probably won't need warranty for either one. I have 2 Yamahas (2400 and 2000 Watt) and the 2400 must have 1000+ hours on it and never missed a beat.
never heard of anyone buying a honda or a yamaha needing warranty!

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was considering the polaris ones, and the CFMoto ones, but the reviews are, shall we say poor
get a honda or a yamaha, you can't go wrong, mine has been running for 15 yrs, changed filter once, oil in the spring, think i changed the plug once, get 20 plus hrs on a tank. heavy though. i also have a 2000 champion, would also buy another one, 54decibels, a bit louder than the honda, but you can have a conversation standing beside it running!

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cummins Onan 3200i. Going on 11yrs with it. Hour meter, eco mode, low oil warning (make sure yours has that!), electric start with pull start back up. Insulated with very easy access with both side panels off. Eco mode gets you 10hrs of run time on a tank. Wheels with brakes. Friend has a Yamaha 2400 and mine is just a shade louder than his.
I have been super happy with it.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Tyler before you try anything else dump some Seafoam in it and run it till it's good and hot. My 3000 Honda was doing the surge thing a few years ago, give it the treatment and it's run smooth ever since.
it won't run till it's good and hot, there's an air jet on the top of the carb that plugs up, its common on all honda's and yamaha's

Top Bottom