3000 Watt Generators, Which Brand, Why?

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cummins Onan 3200i. Going on 11yrs with it. Hour meter, eco mode, low oil warning (make sure yours has that!), electric start with pull start back up. Insulated with very easy access with both side panels off. Eco mode gets you 10hrs of run time on a tank. Wheels with brakes. Friend has a Yamaha 2400 and mine is just a shade louder than his.
I have been super happy with it.
58 db measured at 7m, is not just a touch louder than a honda/yamaha,48-52db, it's considerably louder. 2 people standing next to a honda/yamaha generator can have a conversation without raising their voices, never been able to with an onan, on any truck or trailer i've ever seen! if you have neighbours they will appreciate the quiet, as NO ONE goes to a cabin/trailer site/campsite and wants to hear a friggin loud generator running day and night. get the honda 3000ies, or the yamaha 300ise. there is a reason they are recommended by everyone, it's your money, by a used one if u can't pony up for a new one.

Last edited:

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can still hear them fkn hondas lol

If you're really worried about the neighbors get some solar panels.
I dont care what brand, no one wants to listen to someone elses generator run 24/7.

Im not judging though, do what you gotta do.

Last edited:

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
neighbors all run generators too.

Comment wasnt directed at you, or you situation. Just was saying, they all make noise. Honda might be best, (isnt the quietest 3000w on the market) but youre paying a premium. Is it worth it? Personal choice. To me no, but im not powering a cabin full time though.

Sounds like you just need to clean the carb or yours though anyway.

Last edited:

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes,,, we run a diesel generator with straight pipe so everyone knows its running...

25/8 fir weeks on end,,, the only time we shut it down is when other campers depart...

When others show up we fire it up again... lol

At least a person can hear it running from 3 miles away... ha

Happy camping is loud and obnoxious...

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes,,, we run a diesel generator with straight pipe so everyone knows its running...

25/8 fir weeks on end,,, the only time we shut it down is when other campers depart...

When others show up we fire it up again... lol

At least a person can hear it running from 3 miles away... ha

Happy camping is loud and obnoxious...

Some people dont bring generators out camping, but they dont know what they are missing 😅

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Comment wasnt directed at you, or you situation. Just was saying, they all make noise. Honda might be quitest, but youre paying a premium. Is it worth it? Personal choice. To me no, but im not powering a cabin full time though.

Sounds like you just need to clean the carb or yours though anyway.
2000 will be for the RV, 3000 will stay at the cabin, but yes for this winter the 2000 would be sufficient.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Honda is definitely worth the premium, my brother is on his second cheap generator in 5 years, now he’s into generators for more than a Honda 3000.
When it’s + 32 boondocker camping in the middle of a field, that bitch is running to keep the trailer cool. Happy wife, happy kids definitely lowers my stress level. Lol

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Honda is definitely worth the premium, my brother is on his second cheap generator in 5 years, now he’s into generators for more than a Honda 3000.
When it’s + 32 boondocker camping in the middle of a field, that bitch is running to keep the trailer cool. Happy wife, happy kids definitely lowers my stress level. Lol

Im on the lake if its that hot. Every time ive camped when its hot, i think what.am i doing here lol

I can see why youd want the AC

Last edited:

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Honda or Yamaha are the best as stated multiple times. I did like Honda machines but like their gens. But that being said we have one right now at work we are using for power on board at truck and it will not stay running for more than 2hours? It’s the 2200I model runs awesome they will go out later and isn’t running. Takes forever to start then runs rough for a bit then is normal. Come out later and is dead again. It’s only running a battery charger.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it's that hot I stay home. I don't go camping to sit in my trailer.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They made it law that ethanol is put in all fuels, which goes bad in 3 months time. A few 94 octanes fuels are still ethanol free which only last 6 months. Buy some aspen 4 fuel and end all these crazy fuel problems.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it's that hot I stay home. I don't go camping to sit in my trailer.

Didn’t say we were in the trailer all that time, just nice to have the trailer cool when we want a break. No different than the AC in my house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
58 db measured at 7m, is not just a touch louder than a honda/yamaha,49-52db, it's considerably louder. i 'd bet 2 people standing next to a honda/yamaha generator can have a conversation without raising there voices, never been able to with an onan, on any truck or trailer ive ever seen!
i recommend buying the quietest gen you can afford low 50's is what you are looking for
You can still hear them fkn hondas lol

ha, seems someone is a little sensitive?
i park my truck with generator in box, running ,right behind my trailer, can't hear anything but a hum at best, also have 100 ft cord. generator at 25 ft from trailer or campsite. you can barely hear it, at 50-100 ft nothing, been at sites where fellow had the cheap construction style, at close 150 to 200ft, sounded like a freight train coming through. sure pissed off a few campers. as far as no generators running, not going to find many campsites without one?

Last edited:

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i recommend buying the quietest gen you can afford low 50's is what you are looking for

ha, seems someone is a little sensitive? i park my truck with generator in box, running ,right behind my trailer, can't hear anything but a hum at best, generator at 25 ft from trailer or campsite. you can barely hear it, 50-100 ft nothing, been at sites where fellow had the cheap construction style, at close 150 to 200ft, sounded like a freight train coming through. sure pissed off a few campers. as far as no generators running, not going to find many campsites without one?

Not at all. Thread says which generator brand and why. Not why is honda the best....

Honda isnt even the quitest 3000w on the market if that is the only thing you care about.

I run a Mitsubishi 3000watt cause i dont care about noise or want to pay out the ass for a honda. Lol

Different application than Tyler though, so if he wants honda thats fine with me.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the honda 3000ies and 200 are close to same Db! Quality of fuel will be your only problem,
Didn’t say we were in the trailer all that time, just nice to have the trailer cool when we want a break. No different than the AC in my house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yup, it can get oven like in a trailer sitting in the sun? of all the yrs i've camped have never run the ac more than a couple times, same as the microwave. some need to run the cpap machines and other medical devices, used mine more for battery charges and log splitter. a simple card board box one side open, facing away, will drown out the noise rather effectively!

Last edited:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not at all. Thread says which generator brand and why. Not why is honda the best....

Honda isnt even the quitest 3000w on the market if that is the only thing you care about.

I run a Mitsubishi 3000watt cause i dont care about noise or want to pay out the ass for a honda. Lol

Different application than Tyler though, so if he wants honda thats fine with me.
list 52 decibels? which is a bit more than the 3000esi honda 49-50db at 7m

Last edited:

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
list 52 decibels? which is a bit more than the 3000esi honda 49-50db

Google it, there is youtube videos where they test them all. Spoilet alert: honda isnt the quitest....

Last edited:

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tyler I built a larger generator shack with a large door that opens for the exhaust and fresh air for the generator. The exhaust points away from our cabin. It is about 75 feet away from the cabin in the bush.
The only time I hear it a bit is when the coffee maker kicks in. I run a bar size fridge, ice maker and a bunch of led lights, I am currently using a BE 3500 and fuel consumption is not a lot.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tyler I built a larger generator shack with a large door that opens for the exhaust and fresh air for the generator. The exhaust points away from our cabin. It is about 75 feet away from the cabin in the bush.
The only time I hear it a bit is when the coffee maker kicks in. I run a bar size fridge, ice maker and a bunch of led lights, I am currently using a BE 3500 and fuel consumption is not a lot.
yes, even a cardboard box with open top pointed away will drastically lower the DB!
Google it, there is youtube videos where they test them all. Spoilet alert: honda isnt the quitest....
already did, nada. you got a copy, like to see it?

Top Bottom