2023 Rumours

greenthumb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I could always be wrong, but turbo's have no idea how fast to spin or how much boost is required. They simply spin based on how much exhaust is going through them. Pretty sure they aren't "working harder". It's the waste gate that regulates how much of that boost is getting to the intake and how much is dumping overboard that gives you the whoosh woosh. If it's whoosh whooshing then it isn't making more power, its dumping the power overboard.
And 100% it is making positive boost at 8000 ft. Altitude compensating turbo airplanes have been around for decades and this is the same principle.
Waste gates regulate engine exhaust flow, allowing a portion to bypass the turbine, control shaft speed and are how boost levels are typically governed.

Blow off valves are on the compressor side and usually only come into play momentarily when the throttle is closed quickly to prevent pressure spikes due to the inertia of the turbo. This is the classic whoosh sound on turbocharged engines.

A turbo "working harder" is absolutely a thing. As air density decreases (altitude), a larger volume of uncompressed air is required to achieve the target air density, sea level equivalent in this case. This is why a t-doo does very little at low altitude and more as you go up. Eventually you reach the practical limits of what the turbo is able to produce, and compensation stops increasing. 8,000' in the case of the t-doo.

Going a step further, is something called turbo efficiency. In a nutshell, it has to do with achieving the most horsepower gain, with the least amount of "boost". High exhaust pressures, high intake temperatures or turbo overspeed are bad. As a turbo "works harder", it's efficiency typically decreases until the point that attempting to produce more power is no longer possible or bad things happen (bang).

The discussion regarding whether a t-doo actually makes boost is because of two different perspectives. Air pressure at sea level is 14.7psi, while it's around 10.7psi at 8000'. If you took a boost gauge calibrated to zero at sea level, and went to 8000', it would read -4psi with the sled off, and 0psi at full throttle. Conversely, if that gauge was reset to zero at 8000' with the sled off, it would read 4psi at full throttle. So while the compressor is actually producing 4psi relative to the air around it at 8000', the air pressure inside the intake of the sled is no more than 'normal' pressure at sea level.

Disclaimer: This just a basic guideline. There are exceptions, a lot more to it, and I am by no means an expert.

Last edited:

FranktheTank

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pssst- order your 23 early to make sure you get the last of the G4’s before the 23.5’s new platform release. Fool me once, fool me twice, bam! U got Trudeau’d! Anyone in the know- already knows. Cats out of the bag....
200hp turbo with 1 year warranty on a new chassis? Will stick with the G4 till the manufacturer will back its product with a 3 year warranty... Polaris boys can have that 1 year warranty...

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
200hp turbo with 1 year warranty on a new chassis? Will stick with the G4 till the manufacturer will back its product with a 3 year warranty... Polaris boys can have that 1 year warranty...
They will do something to curb sales since they know they can't supply enough.

Probably 1 year warranty and significant price bump.

Hope I am wrong.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Doo will have Gen 5 and a new track without flex edge or twisty knuckle skid.
Will still be 16" with torsion springs though.
No power change but will handle better, skinny up the wide body a bit, 8# lighter.
After waiting 6 years will be able to read some bigger guages again.
New game changer

Last edited:

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure why they are wasting money on this.
FB_IMG_1644766805467.jpg

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cause if you wait to snow check at the show you won't be getting one.
Thats certainly possible but I don't see it happening personally. What I think will happen is BRP will announce tomorrow that they will only build snowchecked sleds unless demand is so low they have the ability to build a limited amount of in season sleds. One thing we know is BRP is obviously well aware of their capabilities and will make an announcement accordingly.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No restrictions at a mall. Only churches and small businesses.
Yes and they would have had to book a venue long before they current less restrictive mandates that are on now. Smart move. Anybody know if this aligns with Cat and Polaris's reveals like in past years?

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats certainly possible but I don't see it happening personally. What I think will happen is BRP will announce tomorrow that they will only build snowchecked sleds unless demand is so low they have the ability to build a limited amount of in season sleds. One thing we know is BRP is obviously well aware of their capabilities and will make an announcement accordingly.
Maybe, lots of inseasons sold this year before people got their snowchecked rides.

Top Bottom