2016 Yamaha Viper

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good to hear the oil issue was adressed, i heard that the oilpans had to be changed out to fix this and i am sure not everyone has got this done yet and that could be the issue. I am not slamming the yammies, i quite like them and have spent time on a viper, its just not the all around sled for me, I would just like some honest feedback on these machines from people who have tried one. In the last couple of years i was thinking there should be a bigger presence of vipers on the hills but I can honestly say that I see very few and none are still stock. Maybe i am blinded by the sea of yellow t3s and cant see the yammies! I have owned a turboed yamaha rx1 and it was such a pig that I am very leary about buying a heavy sled again. I also have ridden every new model in hopes that they finally got it and the viper is the closest yamaha has got but still not enough for me or my riding buddies to buy one. I think a couple years of advancements and they will be there but yammie fans have been saying that since the introduction of the rx1..........

I think cost might be the biggest reason you don't see more of them. I mean between 18-20g for a sled once it's done with an entry level turbo and other minor mods and out the door is getting ridiculous. And easily 2-3g more than a Doo and even more so more than a Poo ready to ride with the average mods/accessories most do to them.

Catman10

Drinking the Doolaid
Reaction score
I am not meaning to compare the rx1 to the viper cuz it isnt fair, just saying that weight is a huge factor, I just about lost all my riding buddies cuz when they saw i was stuck I had to beg for a hand, it just about broke me all the suppers I had to buy!!!!

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would like to see the engine from the improved stock hillclimber yamaha has running around down south, if what I read is true they have 2 seasons of racing on the engines and I bet they make 160+ hp, I have a turbo and would like a NA 4-smoke with decent HP as well and ride it stock, use the turbo for deep days and the stocker for harder snow conditions

Bingo, I've never understood why Yamaha seems to almost refuse to squeeze more power out their sleds. If they had an honest 165hp they'd be in a competition with everyone else out of the crate IMO.

summit889

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can dress a pig up in a suit and it is still a pig, how come everyone is so nice about the yammies but you talk about a polaris and the ski doo guys bash so hard that it is borderline cyborbullying and heaven forbid you bring up the t3 flaws. Here is the thing, Yamaha needs a narrow front end cuz they are still HEAVY, yes they are close to the others in weight but it is front end heavy when you ride one and it is an undeniable fact coupled with the low factory horsepower they simply aren't a contender in stock form. They also have issues that may have been addressed such as the oiling issues while climbing and I have heard that they also spill oil out of the tank when they are upside down as well as reverse problems and guys having to get the helli ride because of it. I brought up these problems before and people told me that they have been addressed but still I hear about the same problems on other forums and from guys that own them that don't mind being honest. That being said they are a fun machine with a turbo and are great for hill climbing with years of turbo technology, probably second to none but the 2 stroke turbos are every bit as fast with a lighter chassis and way more fun in the trees plus the bonus of not being absolutely wasted at the end of the day from fighting that little extra weight all day long. Bash me now people but my money is still not Yamaha bound for now but I will say that when it comes to buying a 4 stoke machine I do believe they will figure out the right chassis before all the other brands once they decide to make some bold changes, if they can get 4 stoke engine within 5 pounds of a 2 smoke there won't be a argument from many. Any INTELLEGENT opinions out there?

i own a tss etec, mcx nytro, and boost it viper. No chance the etec is as fast as either yamaha. Etec is just too slow for me and I'd way rather ride either yamaha regardless of how tight the riding is. Everyone keeps saying you can't do this, can't do that with a 4 stroke turbo, but I'm rarely the one being dug out. We have a bit of everything in our group and a full carbon fibre c3 chassis with a bb and a 174 3" is about the same as the mcx 180 hp nytro with a 162 2.5. I realize one is easier to throw around, but a boosted nytro doesn't just keep up to the latest stockers, it's quite a ways ahead.

steveo10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Looks like another yammie to add to the stable. The nytro has been great for the last 4 yrs but it's time for a change.

Yamaha addressed the problems to make it a great sled out of the box instead of having to spend many 1000s to make it work.

jrusher

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The sled needs to be around 550 lbs wet and 180ish hp naturally aspirated. Supposedly its coming next year.. The 16 looks great some good changes add boost an go pretty much and real easy to take 25-30 lbs off that sled like i have..

Last edited:

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i own a tss etec, mcx nytro, and boost it viper. No chance the etec is as fast as either yamaha. Etec is just too slow for me and I'd way rather ride either yamaha regardless of how tight the riding is. Everyone keeps saying you can't do this, can't do that with a 4 stroke turbo, but I'm rarely the one being dug out. We have a bit of everything in our group and a full carbon fibre c3 chassis with a bb and a 174 3" is about the same as the mcx 180 hp nytro with a 162 2.5. I realize one is easier to throw around, but a boosted nytro doesn't just keep up to the latest stockers, it's quite a ways ahead.

Very well said.
I do get a kick out of some of these post.
There are several factors why lots of guys prefer to buy a 2 stroke over a 4 stroke. One like LBZ has already mentioned "the cost" of owning one, a 2 strokes is alot cheaper to own as a stocker and in its initial stages. Building a turbo 4 stroke isn't exactly cheap.
Secondly, most dudes out there are way out of shape and whimpy to handle one, so its easier to throw crap around like "their too heavy"..in a girly voice then to face the fact that maybe their too freckin fat or out of cardio to ride it properly.
Yes the Nytro/Viper are not for everyone, but BS on the fact that they cannot go where the lighter 2 stroke can. Plus in my case at the end of the day the energy i have will really depend on how many times i had to get your ass out.
People seem to put alot of emphasis on the machine it self, failing to realize thats only half the equation. It has been my observation that most sledders are not examples of fitness.
I know as my wife jokes alot about it when we go out..."snowmobiler's all look the same, they all have a fat gut"..LOL

BTW at 220lbs and 6ft, i dont sit behind a desk all day dreaming of BS to put on S&M, i'ed rather be pounding on the miles on my mountain bike if i'm not working or sledding...so ya i can ride my tank.

Last edited:

Kibbels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Now to get this back on track.... Thanks for posting Eric!! I for one like the new changes of the Viper for 2016.. New front end will bode well for all, easier to pull over, lighter steer.. And plus the 3" track that's pretty cool. Many may think they are a dud but I don't just add some boost and if ya don't want to spend big $$ on skid add the Zbroz KISS. Ride what yay want long as ya love to ride. Now I do firmly believe we will see cross plane technology enter the Yamee sleds... Now if u think a well tuned boosted Apex sounded awesome wait until u here a cross plane with boost.... That is gonna be some serious torque... One can only hope.

Cheers...

And if yur interested in purchasing a Yamee I highly recommend Cycle Works Red Deer.... Eric will set you up like none other... Boost-it, MCX, MPI or EVO....

climbmax

Team Thunderstruck
Reaction score

Spoken by man who has taken his hard earned dollars out his own pocket and voted. Has both a 2 Stroke Turbo and a 4 Stroke for a solid comparison. Thanks for sharing :)

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I really like Yamaha, always have. My first one was a brand new 1984 Phazer and have owned numerous Yamaha sleds since.
I'm currently looking at all 4, Yamaha, Ski-doo, Polaris and A/C for a new sled, they all offer great machines. Unfortunately as long as Yamaha continues to use a radiator on their supposedly mountain sled it won't be another Yamaha.
The rad has to go, radiators belong on CARS and TRUCKS....ok trail sleds lol.

climbmax

Team Thunderstruck
Reaction score
I really like Yamaha, always have. My first one was a brand new 1984 Phazer and have owned numerous Yamaha sleds since.
I'm currently looking at all 4, Yamaha, Ski-doo, Polaris and A/C for a new sled, they all offer great machines. Unfortunately as long as Yamaha continues to use a radiator on their supposedly mountain sled it won't be another Yamaha.
The rad has to go, radiators belong on CARS and TRUCKS....ok trail sleds lol.
Rad delete is very simple. Chad did a few this year ;
One of mine has a rad and the other does not. I notice no difference. The only reason one is gone is for a larger intercooler :)
Cheers

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rad delete is very simple. Chad did a few this year ;
One of mine has a rad and the other does not. I notice no difference. The only reason one is gone is for a larger intercooler :)
Cheers

Yes a rad delete is an option, did it on my Nytro. Its not a simple little job to do it, running new hoses to the tunnel with the proper bends, installing an expansion bottle, installing heat exchanger into the tunnel, ect, ect.....big job, i've done it and not cheap.
Yamaha is using a Cat chassi, Cat uses no radiator. At this point why not use a heat exchanger like the Cat??

Plus i beg to differ on the difference.......the Viper is NOSE heavy, so what you can pull the sled over on your show room floor, that is not riding.
Ride a Viper in deep snow and in comparison to all other sleds she dives, every time you let go the throttle. The rad adds at least 10lbs directly on the nose, combine that with silly skinny ski's that for some reason they decided was suitable for the mountains and the only way that sled will stay on top of the snow is "on the throttle".

So right off the top before even riding this sled a rad delete is needed and different ski's....wow.....been down that road with my Nytro, love the sled, it performs, its reliable and now handles well....no thanks to Yamaha and at nearly $35,000 invested.

I'm bitchin cause i want them to get their crap together and see that there are some long time Yamaha owners out there including 4stroke enthusiast that are not pleased with what they seem to think a good mountain sled design is. They are not listening.

Last edited:

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes a rad delete is an option, did it on my Nytro. Its not a simple little job to do it, running new hoses to the tunnel with the proper bends, installing an expansion bottle, installing heat exchanger into the tunnel, ect, ect.....big job, i've done it and not cheap.
Yamaha is using a Cat chassi, Cat uses no radiator. At this point why not use a heat exchanger like the Cat??

Plus i beg to differ on the difference.......the Viper is NOSE heavy, so what you can pull the sled over on your show room floor, that is not riding.
Ride a Viper in deep snow and in comparison to all other sleds she dives, every time you let go the throttle. The rad adds at least 10lbs directly on the nose, combine that with silly skinny ski's that for some reason they decided was suitable for the mountains and the only way that sled will stay on top of the snow is "on the throttle".

So right off the top before even riding this sled a rad delete is needed and different ski's....wow.....been down that road with my Nytro, love the sled, it performs, its reliable and now handles well....no thanks to Yamaha and at nearly $35,000 invested.

I'm bitchin cause i want them to get their crap together and see that there are some long time Yamaha owners out there including 4stroke enthusiast that are not pleased with what they seem to think a good mountain sled design is. They are not listening.
You lost 10 pounds from the rad delete. I added a larger rear cooler so I could make room to drop my fuel tank into the tunnel so It handles like a normal sled. I thought the rad delete would only save me three or four pounds so I left it in there for the extra cooling for years of no fresh snow for a month.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Overall weight loss with a rad delete might be minimal to a wash considering the added ice you will end up with in the tunnel. Part of the reason they went without a tunnel cooler. Also I am not sure how well just a tunnel cooler in a turbo application will work without scratchers down all the time. I read on another site boost it deleted the rad on only one of their builds and that was the only one that had overheating problems. Not sure if they just deleted or added a tunnel cooler as well though.
Either way though getting that weight AND heat out of the engine compartment is a good thing.

Steve D

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You lost 10 pounds from the rad delete. I added a larger rear cooler so I could make room to drop my fuel tank into the tunnel so It handles like a normal sled. I thought the rad delete would only save me three or four pounds so I left it in there for the extra cooling for years of no fresh snow for a month.

After busting my scratchers backing off the truck I was wishing I had a rad in front going down the trail. :(

#thiswintersucks

Top Bottom