2016 Yamaha Viper

crazy_cappa

Reaction score
Yeah pretty sweet for sure, with evol Fox socks and 3" track. Throw the mpi turbo on and it's still pretty reasonable in price for what you get. Any info on weight?

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah pretty sweet for sure, with evol Fox socks and 3" track. Throw the mpi turbo on and it's still pretty reasonable in price for what you get. Any info on weight?

Probably going to be close to last year. Maybe a couple pounds lighter.

Nobody mentioned the heated mountain seat...?

It was mentioned in the other thread in the Yamaha section. I like it. About the only part of me that ever gets cold on the trail ride down after a hard day of riding.

bigfish

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

dont see weight changing much,new front end is 2.5lbs lighter.

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice looking line up. Pretty tempting.

By the numbers though, $20G for a spring only, with a basic turbo. Wow.

Am I the only one that thinks that's a little.... crazy??

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice looking line up. Pretty tempting.

By the numbers though, $20G for a spring only, with a basic turbo. Wow.

Am I the only one that thinks that's a little.... crazy??

I agree....thats why it would be nice to see a N/A motor with 160hp so a turbo isn't a necessity....

climbmax

Team Thunderstruck
Reaction score
Randy, is that factory kit upgradable..? It only makes what ? 8lbs?? Can I tinker and get 12-14 or do I need a different kit...

fyi..my tss kit is for sale...
I miss my nitro...
yes it is upgradeable. MPI can make it 220 or 260 depending on what level you need. Come to Yamafest in Revy on March 28 for a personal demo. 😄

climbmax

Team Thunderstruck
Reaction score
I also would like to try a viper with a 190 kit on it
No problems Tex....march 28 in Revelstoke on Boulder Mountain. Demo the all new Viper MTX in 153 and 162 with Boost and either 2.6 or 3" Lugs. Its always great to get on the mountain with like minded individuals :)
Cheers
RS

cscherer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes it is upgradeable. MPI can make it 220 or 260 depending on what level you need. Come to Yamafest in Revy on March 28 for a personal demo. 

Had planned on it but the event falls right in the middle of my days off. Any chance of a second demo date??

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No problems Tex....march 28 in Revelstoke on Boulder Mountain. Demo the all new Viper MTX in 153 and 162 with Boost and either 2.6 or 3" Lugs. Its always great to get on the mountain with like minded individuals :)
Cheers
RS
I will try to be there... Hope we get some snow

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That track looks awesome!

the front end looks like a twig that's going to break, I am sure they have it worked out. Cool design!
People said the same thing about the XP in 2008 and there were no issues......I'm betting Randy has had some seat time on these sleds and if he says its OK, then its OK. He's probably one of the most reputable guys in the industry.

The new front end looks like its raked back quite a bit, more in-line with the shock than 2015. Is it just the pictures or is that really true? and if so, what is the angle change The upper joint on the 2016 looks a lot closer to the body work than on the 2015.

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
People said the same thing about the XP in 2008 and there were no issues......I'm betting Randy has had some seat time on these sleds and if he says its OK, then its OK. He's probably one of the most reputable guys in the industry.

The new front end looks like its raked back quite a bit, more in-line with the shock than 2015. Is it just the pictures or is that really true? and if so, what is the angle change The upper joint on the 2016 looks a lot closer to the body work than on the 2015.
You are correct - the upper joint has been raked back a significant amount (maybe 2.5"?) - reasoning is that it will have less drag. My suspicion after examining the various photos is that the spindle, upper a-arm, and tie rod tube would allow 12-15 PC owners to benefit from the new geometry. I also suspect the new front end will be plusher then previous models, as the rake and camber is remarkably similar to the Skinz front end, which I have on my M1100T - the main difference being that the Skinz setup moves the entire spindle forward 3.5", altering the effective caster of the vehicle, which in turn adds ski pressure - took me a bit of time and several springs to tune that out on my 4 stroke.

06yamahaapex

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
how do you like your skinz front end?
You are correct - the upper joint has been raked back a significant amount (maybe 2.5"?) - reasoning is that it will have less drag. My suspicion after examining the various photos is that the spindle, upper a-arm, and tie rod tube would allow 12-15 PC owners to benefit from the new geometry. I also suspect the new front end will be plusher then previous models, as the rake and camber is remarkably similar to the Skinz front end, which I have on my M1100T - the main difference being that the Skinz setup moves the entire spindle forward 3.5", altering the effective caster of the vehicle, which in turn adds ski pressure - took me a bit of time and several springs to tune that out on my 4 stroke.

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
how do you like your skinz front end?
Love it... BUT it did require some rear suspension adjustments to get the most out of it. I run a Kmod rear skid, which in original form along with the Skinz front end - added a bunch of ski pressure to an already nose heavy sled. I did end up changing the front arm shock spring to a custom rate unit which makes the heavy 1100T feel about the same weight as an 800, but I have the benefits of coupling when I need it. The sidehilling capability due to the narrow stance (35.7") and off trail capability is incredible. If I was to do it again, I'd likely use the 2016 front end with a turn key skid, or just use the Skinz front end with the stock skid - there would be very little tuning required. I'm booked to ride the 2016's in March - I expect the 2016's will be remarkably similar to what I have now (which cost an arm and a leg to build).

Nikm17

Reaction score
Definitely a good looking sled. Hopefully those spindles are built strong though, they look like they would be super easy to bend.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Looks like the new front has actually only moved the top of the arm back, hasn't moved the bottom of the ski spindle forward at all from what I can see (see the comparison picture I made). So that won't change where the front balance point is (other than it being narrower than 2015). Keeping the ski and spindle back are going to help the bigger sled as the mass will now be more focused at the front arm (especially with it being narrower), and it will pivot there. You also gain an advantage along the vertical plane directly over the spindle by keeping it rearward when you narrow it up.

By moving the skis out on a nose heavy sled you are increasing the ski pressure (as you found out) on the very front and rear points of the sled. On a nose heavy sled, keeping as much mass focused near the front suspension arm will definitely help it be more manageable instead of fighting heavy steering. Just a guess - your custom front skid spring is now a higher spring pressure?

Attachments

• New Picture (3)a.jpg
    New Picture (3)a.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 318
Top Bottom