2016 Duramax acting up

Rhodesie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
curious to see what a volt meter on one battery reads in both scenarios. when you say batteries tested to spec do you mean they were load tested?

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 2016 Duramax has low voltage every single time it cold starts, whether it is remote or manual start. The truck needs about 5 min of run time before the voltage actually starts to show a charge. Not sure why, but it has done it since new.

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There's a grid heater in the air intake that draws a lot of juice on cold starts. I had one GM with single alternator and the voltage would be low for a few minutes. Another with dual alternators never dips.

Why is she warming it up for more than 2 minutes?

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There's a grid heater in the air intake that draws a lot of juice on cold starts. I had one GM with single alternator and the voltage would be low for a few minutes. Another with dual alternators never dips.

Why is she warming it up for more than 2 minutes?
Are you referring to me? If so, whether idling or driving, they take longer than 2 min to warm up.

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you referring to me? If so, whether idling or driving, they take longer than 2 min to warm up.

That was for the OP. Regardless, idling is just wasting fuel. Drop it in gear and go. A GM will warm up pretty good idling, Ford and Ram are pitiful. Gotta drive.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
volt meter is good when i fire it up with the key and drive it, but i cant see the voltage when i remote start it to see if its dropping. it doesnt fire up the guages with the remote start. Ill throw a volt meter on

Mine was only down to 13.2 v from a normal 14 v and it was causing grief

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 2016 Duramax has low voltage every single time it cold starts, whether it is remote or manual start. The truck needs about 5 min of run time before the voltage actually starts to show a charge. Not sure why, but it has done it since new.
The delay is so the glow plugs last and don't burn out

Sent from my SM-G991W using Tapatalk

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
6 year old batteries are likely the problem, change them out.

I have a couple of 22 Denalis for sale soon, one a black diamond, the other regular Denali, if you’re tired of waiting.

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I have a couple of 22 Denalis for sale soon, one a black diamond, the other regular Denali, if you’re tired of waiting.
8' box?

kovs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Colour? Interior and exterior

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just sold the long box. Theee yep are regular box.

I have a black diamond long box and dually, 23s coming in Feb. not sure if I’ll take the long box…

Mountainman52

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just sold the long box. Theee yep are regular box.

I have a black diamond long box and dually, 23s coming in Feb. not sure if I’ll take the long box…
SELL the POS down South .......Vin starts with a 111111........RIGHT ..........?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
curious to see what a volt meter on one battery reads in both scenarios. when you say batteries tested to spec do you mean they were load tested?

Haha not quite. My 50$ Canadian tire battery tester says they are good LOL. It has a cranking check, cca check and health check. But no load test

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My (factory ford) batteries crapped out after 3 years (according to sticker) last year this time when we had the gnarly cold had to change them out.

I find Costco to be the best for batteries

rgashkei

Reaction score
Just replaced mine on my 2013 for the second time. Would start one day and not the next, no problem now with new ones. Did you test the batteries unhooked from each other? One of mine was dead and causing an issue with the other, now still have one good battery.

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The GM AC Delco OEM battery (gold I think) would be one of the best to exchange with, I’ve been through a ton of batteries and these GM batteries seem to last the longest every time.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a little info to think about. All the Ram diesels I know (3) it was the passenger side battery that crapped out first. I think they don't see the same load or get the same charge or something. Probably a good idea to disconnect the drivers side battery every second week in the summer to force that battery to do some work and it might last longer. This could be a common theme for dual battery systems.

Top Bottom