2016 Duramax acting up

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my buddy Trent had an '08 that would do the exact same thing, changed batteries, alternator, that thing spent weeks at the dealer and they never did figure it out. Batteries were good, but it would act like it was dead. He'd carry around one of those tiny lithium battery booster packs and it would fire right up and not do it again for a while. Seemed like it just needed to get a little zap on the batteries and they would come back. Finally just sold it and bought a new one.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my buddy Trent had an '08 that would do the exact same thing, changed batteries, alternator, that thing spent weeks at the dealer and they never did figure it out. Batteries were good, but it would act like it was dead. He'd carry around one of those tiny lithium battery booster packs and it would fire right up and not do it again for a while. Seemed like it just needed to get a little zap on the batteries and they would come back. Finally just sold it and bought a new one.
Mine was an 08 too.

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your 2016 truck was built in 2015 so they are likely about 7 1/2 year old batteries…. Change the batteries first no matter what the testers say then troubleshoot it after.. Good luck!

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Put a volt meter on one of the batteries and have it outside the closed hood. Monitor the voltage before and after remote starting. It should go higher than base voltage after a few minutes. Outside temperature is probably a factor on how quickly. If the voltage is slowly dropping go in and turn the key to run. Any change? Repeat the process on a different day starting with the key.

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does a Duramax have grid heaters?
The LML does, l can't imagine they got rid of it on the L5P. The glow plugs are for starting, the grid heater aids in a cleaner burn after cold start until things heat up.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The LML does, l can't imagine they got rid of it on the L5P. The glow plugs are for starting, the grid heater aids in a cleaner burn after cold start until things heat up.
Ya know , hummmm

I don't think the l5p does , now that I think about it

Sent from my SM-G991W using Tapatalk

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a little info to think about. All the Ram diesels I know (3) it was the passenger side battery that crapped out first. I think they don't see the same load or get the same charge or something. Probably a good idea to disconnect the drivers side battery every second week in the summer to force that battery to do some work and it might last longer. This could be a common theme for dual battery systems.
Could be as simple as the turbo being so close, and the heat degrading the battery faster.

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My dodge wont start and my GMC power stearing is frozen. Might be the trucks, might be the -37 but Mexico is looking better all the time...
Fawk Mexico. It's gonna warm up in the next few days, and mother nature is going to take a giant white dump on the hills. Time to pack up the sleds and the wife and head for the mountains!

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fawk Mexico. It's gonna warm up in the next few days, and mother nature is going to take a giant white dump on the hills. Time to pack up the sleds and the wife and head for the mountains!

I might do that to, only because i dont have a passport right now though lol

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My dodge wont start and my GMC power stearing is frozen. Might be the trucks, might be the -37 but Mexico is looking better all the time...

My old gasser this morning the power steering was frozen. Never happened in the first 550,000km. What does that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My old gasser this morning the power steering was frozen. Never happened in the first 550,000km. What does that?

Not sure, this is a 2021 fairly new truck, maybe some moisture in the system? First time its ever happened to me. Probably will try a flush.

Mcstuck87

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Haha not quite. My 50$ Canadian tire battery tester says they are good LOL. It has a cranking check, cca check and health check. But no load test

This might be a long shot but my 04 Cummins was going through some stuff. I had a bad ground from engine to body. A bad ground can cause your truck to think wonky. Also was having issues with it stalling. My ambient air temp sensor and battery temp sensors were nfg. So wouldn’t charge batteries correctly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom