2016 Duramax acting up

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
something really strange happening with the wifes duramax. Both batteries test good, and it starts with the key in any temperature no issues. However, once it got cold if i remote start the truck with the factory fob, it kills both batteries, shuts off and will not start again without a boost....only happens with the remote start. Its like its not engaging the alternators i dont even know how thats possible? No engine codes. if we always use the key there is no problems

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
something really strange happening with the wifes duramax. Both batteries test good, and it starts with the key in any temperature no issues. However, once it got cold if i remote start the truck with the factory fob, it kills both batteries, shuts off and will not start again without a boost....only happens with the remote start. Its like its not engaging the alternators i dont even know how thats possible? No engine codes. if we always use the key there is no problems

Factory remote start or aftermarket?

Ricki Bobby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Original batteries? I just went through this, replaced batteries and no problems. If the batteries are weak, it won’t start with the remote start, only with the key.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Original batteries? I just went through this, replaced batteries and no problems. If the batteries are weak, it won’t start with the remote start, only with the key.

Our car just did the same thing, when cold it won’t start with command start, once warm it will. Replaced the battery this morning and back to normal, these new electronic packed vehicles sure get finicky when voltage drops off a touch, even when batteries test out in the ok range

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a GMC Duramax. Sometimes I would start it and drive and notice the volt meter really low. I had to re-start for it to kick the alternator in. I can't remember if it was when using remote start but for sure it was glitchy software. I never felt I could trust it even though it only happened a few times.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

yes original batteries, but they test good and the weird thing is it starts no problem with the remote start. the FIRST time, it dies before its completes its 20 min warmup cycle because the batteries are dead because the engine is obviously using all of that power. Can only revive it with a boost. will not start the second time with the remote OR the key

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Our car just did the same thing, when cold it won’t start with command start, once warm it will. Replaced the battery this morning and back to normal, these new electronic packed vehicles sure get finicky when voltage drops off a touch, even when batteries test out in the ok range

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yea, something computerish is going on forsure. Might just have to bite the bullet and try replacing the batteries its the only weak link as they would be 6+ years old now

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I find on my Ram Sean that the remote start seems to fire up all the accessory systems, faster than using they key, like others have said if the batteries are at all weak, maybe its drawing it down too far, and it "tries" to start once and kills them?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a GMC Duramax. Sometimes I would start it and drive and notice the volt meter really low. I had to re-start for it to kick the alternator in. I can't remember if it was when using remote start but for sure it was glitchy software. I never felt I could trust it even though it only happened a few times.
volt meter is good when i fire it up with the key and drive it, but i cant see the voltage when i remote start it to see if its dropping. it doesnt fire up the guages with the remote start. Ill throw a volt meter on

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If they're original batteries I would bet they are the culprit. Sucks ass spending 500 on new batteries but that might be the trick :(
The oem ones in my 2012 cummins lasted 4 years before I replaced them with crappy starting issues like you describe

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
yes original batteries, but they test good and the weird thing is it starts no problem with the remote start. the FIRST time, it dies before its completes its 20 min warmup cycle because the batteries are dead because the engine is obviously using all of that power. Can only revive it with a boost. will not start the second time with the remote OR the key
Weird.... almost sounds like an alternator thing, where it's not charging up the batteries, until it's boosted. And like other have said, it could just be the batteries? I know it's a long shot, but doo you have 2 other batteries you can try in it?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Weird.... almost sounds like an alternator thing, where it's not charging up the batteries, until it's boosted. And like other have said, it could just be the batteries? I know it's a long shot, but doo you have 2 other batteries you can try in it?

thats exactly what it is doing. Not sending charge to the batteries from the alternators, but rather just drawing off the batteries until they die

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
volt meter is good when i fire it up with the key and drive it, but i cant see the voltage when i remote start it to see if its dropping. it doesnt fire up the guages with the remote start. Ill throw a volt meter on
I remember driving with the volt meter super low. And this was an almost new truck at the time. If it was not from remote starting it does not mean that it might not do that at times where you start with the key. It was a software glitch or bad relay contact as it happen only 3 times in the first 3 years of ownership.

Top Bottom