2014 skidoo

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my one beef with these summits is that stupid wind shield. I had one on my last summit and it broke off after a half a dozen roll outs. You need the short shield for mountain riding, but that would be such a dumb thing to put on a MOUNTAIN SLED!!. Windshields are for trail sleds.

Here take my $150ish bucks for the short one.
so I take it you won't be purchasing the BRP powder plow?

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nothing is new on the summits except for colours.. You have to buy accessories...

I have not been able to find a "official" list of what new things will be on the summits. Where can we find this "list" ? I would like to know what cool new stuff I am buying.... Thanks buddy

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my one beef with these summits is that stupid wind shield. I had one on my last summit and it broke off after a half a dozen roll outs. You need the short shield for mountain riding, but that would be such a dumb thing to put on a MOUNTAIN SLED!!. Windshields are for trail sleds.

That's the first thing that comes off my sleds. Don't even bother with the short shield the bracket covers up the holes nicely

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
I have not been able to find a "official" list of what new things will be on the summits. Where can we find this "list" ? I would like to know what cool new stuff I am buying.... Thanks buddy

Send me a PM or something... Or even call me. I cant type it all up I have it all on my I pad and I dont have it with me. I made a big list of everything thats different on the 2014 line up of all the sleds. Im pumped!

Newmanater90

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im the same as Maxwel first thing to come off is the windshield i leave it in the garage at home.

dropitbuster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Send me a PM or something... Or even call me. I cant type it all up I have it all on my I pad and I dont have it with me. I made a big list of everything thats different on the 2014 line up of all the sleds. Im pumped!

Make sure you send a copy of the list to BRP marketing too because they've forgotten to mention any of it yet.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Make sure you send a copy of the list to BRP marketing too because they've forgotten to mention any of it yet.

It was all mentioned the night of the release. I know I read it all somewhere. Now where that is I can not recall.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It was all mentioned the night of the release. I know I read it all somewhere. Now where that is I can not recall.

There is a link on there Mountain Facebook Page but it takes awhile to download the catalogue to say the least.

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Turbo grips! really? I bet if we went back far enough, we'd probably find some of you scoffing at the very existance of heated grips.( I said probably )
They changed the colors. Period.
We've already been down the light weight road and we came back, so the only real room we have to move forward is to add power, and BRP likely wont DOO that until forced to by a competitor (if such a thing exists in the mountain segment)

dropitbuster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

There is a link on there Mountain Facebook Page but it takes awhile to download the catalogue to say the least.

See that's the issue. We shouldn't have to hunt for this stuff. We should just go to the Doo website see New this... New that in big bold letters and think cool I need that. Here's some more of my money BRP.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Turbo grips! really? I bet if we went back far enough, we'd probably find some of you scoffing at the very existance of heated grips.( I said probably )
They changed the colors. Period.
We've already been down the light weight road and we came back, so the only real room we have to move forward is to add power, and BRP likely wont DOO that until forced to by a competitor (if such a thing exists in the mountain segment)

Why add power?

There is very reasonable weight to be lost in the production XM for guys who actually use it as a mountain sled.

Get a company to build a lightweight EPA compliant can, there goes 15 pounds. Drop the heavy dual headlight/air box assembly for something with one light and less restricitive, another 10 pounds. Upgrade away from the torsion spring suspension. Dual coils, less ilders, likely save another 15 pounds. Get rid of the front cooler, another 8-10 pounds. Belt drive is still debated by many. It does improving the rolling resistance and shed weight, another 8-10 pounds and guess what? It would be lighter than the Pro and not have lost any strength in the chassis.

BRP could easily offer these changes in the Production XM. Spring check only so the guys who don't want that stuff can stay with their inseason model with dual headlights, chain drive, quiet can.

Last edited:

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why add power?

There is very reasonable weight to be lost in the production XM for guys who actually use it as a mountain sled.

Get a company to build a lightweight EPA compliant can, there goes 15 pounds. Drop the heavy dual headlight/air box assembly for something with one light and less restricitive, another 10 pounds. Upgrade away from the torsion spring suspension. Dual coils, less ilders, likely save another 15 pounds. Get ride of the front cooler, another 8-10 pounds. Belt drive is still debated by many. It does improving the rolling resistance and shed weight, another 8-10 pounds and guess what? It would be lighter than the Pro and not have lost any strength in the chassis.

BRP could easily offer these changes in the Production XM. Spring check only so the guys who don't want that stuff can stay with their inseason model with dual headlights, chain drive, quiet can.

Yeah some good points but they would make it a $17000 sled
Why add power? Is that a serious question? I love my XM but having ridden both the 13 pro and the M8 I know that we're not as far out in front as we'd like to think we are.

Thegeneral

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah some good points but they would make it a $17000 sled
Why add power? Is that a serious question? I love my XM but having ridden both the 13 pro and the M8 I know that we're not as far out in front as we'd like to think we are.

Thegeneral

Why would it make it a $17000 dollar sled? Is the Pro RMK not on par with the Summit for pricing? The Pro has pretty much everything I have suggested for the XM. Why would it cost BRP that much more to do? With the amount of R&D they have with their race department it should be a no brainer.

When people suggest power I think of bigger bores and turbo's. You suggest a lighter weight XM would be $17k. How much do you think a production turbo would be? People would be bitching to all hell if they say a production Turbo XM's price tag. Likely near $20k. Bigger bores, yeah maybe a 900 tops but a 1000 would likely require an entire new case. Bigger bored have been tried, the amount of money that had to be invested into them to get them to work right isn't worth it.

And really, for me? Luckily I am a light weight and don't need 200+ HP to get my ass up a hill. Plus I don't need power in the areas we ride. Better yet, I would rather see more efficient clutching than the TRA. Why can the lowest HP Polaris sled pull such tall gearing in a mountain sled? Better stock clutching. The XM with a good set of clutches would feel like it had 20 more HP. Plus the aftermarket can still offer guys who need more power options. The 872etec looks promissing. A torque band over 100 ft pounds of torque across most of the rpm range, that is impressive.

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not suggesting a turbo at all. I enjoy the reliability of the NA engine but its like this. One guy riding a DOO goes up a hill, not a crazy climb but a decent pull in deep powder on a stock XM. Another guy on a turbo'd arcticpooyamasled goes up the same hill and parks next to the XM, the guy on the XM says well that turbo'd sled is no big deal! I just came up the same hill as you. This is a fact but the turbo'd sled went up there doing 90 mph while the stocker just chugged along at maybe 25 mph. That's why more power is the answer.

I ride in the trees all day long even on the sunny days, there's never been a time that I've thought I couldn't use an extra 20hp. But I don't want the equivalent of that hp in a chasis that buckles in the middle if I jump off a little cornice or drift.

Thegeneral

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not suggesting a turbo at all. I enjoy the reliability of the NA engine but its like this. One guy riding a DOO goes up a hill, not a crazy climb but a decent pull in deep powder on a stock XM. Another guy on a turbo'd arcticpooyamasled goes up the same hill and parks next to the XM, the guy on the XM says well that turbo'd sled is no big deal! I just came up the same hill as you. This is a fact but the turbo'd sled went up there doing 90 mph while the stocker just chugged along at maybe 25 mph. That's why more power is the answer.

I ride in the trees all day long even on the sunny days, there's never been a time that I've thought I couldn't use an extra 20hp. But I don't want the equivalent of that hp in a chasis that buckles in the middle if I jump off a little cornice or drift.

Thegeneral

A lot of us are still giggling about your comment about not being as far ahead as you think you are. No ch!t, check your peripheral, they're pretty much beside you, heat up those clutches, hit a couple big rollers on a climb and shift that sucker out and watch your tach struggle or pull off the hard pack and get out in the deep fluffy, then sometimes you can just look ahead a bit . LOL. Maybe you just need to spray clean those doogles, I think they're a bit foggy. Lol.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A lot of us are still giggling about your comment about not being as far ahead as you think you are. No ch!t, check your peripheral, they're pretty much beside you, heat up those clutches, hit a couple big rollers on a climb and shift that sucker out and watch your tach struggle or pull off the hard pack and get out in the deep fluffy, then sometimes you can just look ahead a bit . LOL. Maybe you just need to spray clean those doogles, I think they're a bit foggy. Lol.

Alot of us are giggling on what typical pre ride maintenance is like on a new 2013 Pro Leonard? Now that I've had my fuel nipple recall done I usually crack open a beer, grease my tippy suspension, put a cup of oil in my oil reservoir and a half a jerry can of premium fuel in the tank and give her a polish before I load it into the trailer again. Is this what you and the boys doo before every ride?

* Check driveshaft clamp for movement
* Check glue on front a arms
* Check jackshaft bearing
* Check condition of quik drive belt
* Check torque on quik drive sprocket retaining bolts
* Check drive axle bearings (NEW)
* Dump a jug of oil in oil reservoir
* Dump 40 liters of fuel in the tank
* Check Snow and Mud for any new issues reported
* Polish and load into trailer
* Finish last of flat of beer

Did I miss anything?:sadbanana:

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Alot of us are giggling on what typical pre ride maintenance is like on a new 2013 Pro Leonard? Now that I've had my fuel nipple recall done I usually crack open a beer, grease my tippy suspension, put a cup of oil in my oil reservoir and a half a jerry can of premium fuel in the tank and give her a polish before I load it into the trailer again. Is this what you and the boys doo before every ride?

* Check driveshaft clamp for movement
* Check glue on front a arms
* Check jackshaft bearing
* Check condition of quik drive belt
* Check torque on quik drive sprocket retaining bolts
* Check drive axle bearings (NEW)
* Dump a jug of oil in oil reservoir
* Dump 40 liters of fuel in the tank
* Check Snow and Mud for any new issues reported
* Polish and load into trailer
* Finish last of flat of beer

Did I miss anything?:sadbanana:

ya, take meds...

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Thegeneral

Take 50 pounds out of the sled is better than upping the hp a modest amount to most people.

Making it more efficient can yield higher track speeds as well.

If you need 20 more hp in the trees there is too much room between those trees.

sent from a top secret location

Top Bottom