2013 E tec motor

xp val

Reaction score
Hey
I have a 2013 summit Xm 163, it's got 2100km on it now. Out 2weeks ago riding in revy and started to lose power at WOT, midrange was great but soon as I applied full throttle it would stumble,thought it was bad fuel at first.Managed to limp it back under its own power and called it a weekend. Took it to dealer,they couldn't figure out what was going on till they took the rave valves out and had a look. PTO side piston scratched up pretty good,although I have not seen this myself,just some pics that where sent to me.
i run nothing but SKI DOO oil and good fuel,mostly Petro can. Any ideas as to what would cause this,has anyone had this problem and is it common.

thank you for your input

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not good when scoring on exhaust side Val. What was the compression?

bjd68

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my sled just started doing this today but after 15 seconds of WOT it will just stumble and almost die and is using too much oil now too! Im going drop it off at the dealer tommorow!

xp val

Reaction score
Yup that's what mine was doing,hope its better news for you

revbyu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
115 / 120 - little on the low side - arent they 140-145 new ! Just had my 13 xm rebuilt - had 4200 km on it, but before i rebuilt it had clickers on 4/5 to get correct rpm ! now that its rebuilt I have it on clicker 1 and its over revving ! Some 800's - more so xp models would lose the piston pin locator and then ring would turn and break off and either get tossed out exhaust or enter get into intake ports ! gotta find out what / why rave valve is scoured !

bjd68

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
mine is at dealer and should hear back on tuesday what is wrong hopefully they figure it out right away!

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
115 / 120 - little on the low side - arent they 140-145 new ! Just had my 13 xm rebuilt - had 4200 km on it, but before i rebuilt it had clickers on 4/5 to get correct rpm ! now that its rebuilt I have it on clicker 1 and its over revving ! Some 800's - more so xp models would lose the piston pin locator and then ring would turn and break off and either get tossed out exhaust or enter get into intake ports ! gotta find out what / why rave valve is scoured !
We haven't seen that 140-145 number since back in the 800 H.O. days rev. These newer R motors don't run that kind of compression. I agree 115 is starting to go the wrong way but lots of good runners at 120-125 compression cold.

revbyu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We haven't seen that 140-145 number since back in the 800 H.O. days rev. These newer R motors don't run that kind of compression. I agree 115 is starting to go the wrong way but lots of good runners at 120-125 compression cold.

Huh ! Thought they were more ! Little head mode could purk the engine up even more !

sscamaro_skwark

Reaction score
What octane of fuel and what percentage of Ethanol is in the fuel, both could be part of the problem
Shell Premium claims no Ethanol while many others use ethanol and I have not had issues
I believe that Skidoo does not recommend Ethanol blend but could be wrong, will check later

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What octane of fuel and what percentage of Ethanol is in the fuel, both could be part of the problem
Shell Premium claims no Ethanol while many others use ethanol and I have not had issues
I believe that Skidoo does not recommend Ethanol blend but could be wrong, will check later
Fuel caps says up to 10 %, but 0 is best

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
It sounds to me like you are having the same issue as I was having. The fuel filter is plugged up and can't provide enough fuel. As for the scaring could be snow ingestion or moisture from summer storage. Rusty rings from condensation are a big killer. Did you use the sumerization feature when storing.

xp val

Reaction score
It sounds to me like you are having the same issue as I was having. The fuel filter is plugged up and can't provide enough fuel. As for the scaring could be snow ingestion or moisture from summer storage. Rusty rings from condensation are a big killer. Did you use the sumerization feature when storing.
Yes I used the sumerization feature...... FINALY got results of the problem......

1) Oil injection on the light side of things, thought it was using lots as I topped of every day....
2) Snow ingestion, when outside air intakes are plugged there is a flap on the inside air box that opens up, if you have snow on the inside it might get sucked into engine. I did not know that,I will be installing the pre filter kits.

This all happened with 2days left on warranty, BRP is covering 100% of the repairs.......
A big shout out to BRP on this.....Thank you������

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
Yes I used the sumerization feature...... FINALY got results of the problem......

1) Oil injection on the light side of things, thought it was using lots as I topped of every day....
2) Snow ingestion, when outside air intakes are plugged there is a flap on the inside air box that opens up, if you have snow on the inside it might get sucked into engine. I did not know that,I will be installing the pre filter kits.

This all happened with 2days left on warranty, BRP is covering 100% of the repairs.......
A big shout out to BRP on this.....Thank you������

Nice a brand new top end with 2 days warranty. Can't beat that hey. There is a screen in the kit from brp that covers that flapper valve on the air box.

bjd68

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just got mine back from dealer but they cant figure out what is wrong with it! They put new spark plugs and did a rave valve recall that not supposed to be done till 5000 kms but I told them just to do it now maybe it will make a difference anyways Im going to try it this weekend and see how it performs!
They also said they have another xm doing the same as mine where it cuts out after about 15 seconds of WOT and they cant seem to figure out whats wrong with that one either!

PS94

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As was said before, try the fuel filter. Mine was experiencing similar issues, and fuel filter change out seems to have cured it...

Top Bottom