2012 Summit Vs Freeride which one to buy?

UkrainianMudKing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok I am going to be buying a 2012 sled. Now can somone tell me what makes the freeride better than the summit?

signedge

Reaction score
free ride comes in 3 track lengths 137, 146, 154. The difference is the free ride is made from the race chasis and is wider and heavier.You wont feel it. The shocks are the big difference.Depends on riding style.If you got the bucks free ride

Foxstar45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are pounding mogals, ditches, or doing large (15'+) drops then go Freeride. The Boards are super stiff, rails are stiffened, the rear arm is 4'' further back in the tunnel, the rear scissor has 2 mounting points depending on how much weight transfer/clearance you want. KYB pro 40 shocks are high/low speed compression adjustable as well as rebound adjustable, same as that Renegade X of yours.

UkrainianMudKing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info so far, now lets pretend that Aerocharger and BRP are working on a turbo. Is the free ride still better, I prefer to spend my time in the trees, and working on more technical terrain.

Steve D

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The other difference is the freeride has the wide ski stance up front. You might like the narrower sled in the trees.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info so far, now lets pretend that Aerocharger and BRP are working on a turbo. Is the free ride still better, I prefer to spend my time in the trees, and working on more technical terrain.

freeride on boost.... you got a bad ass machine there i say. Who cares if its only a 154, can always extened the thing to a 163 is you really do not like it and if your doing a track upgrade to a 163, OBVIOUSLY you would choose a 3" paddle right?;)

UkrainianMudKing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As far as the ski stance goes I have a 2010 X with a 38" Ski stance. So I am not sure if I need anything narrower.

And if I were to go with a 163" of course I would be getting a 3" track.

Foxstar45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
163X3'' SP or X is what you should do.
You really aren't gaining anything with the freeride if you are trying to ride uphill through tress or w/e

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wide stance + trees is not fun

at the end of the day unless you are bombing huge drops get the x. you will be in way better sshape at the end of the day not pulling over that huge stance all the time.

EMANAARON

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2011 X all i can say is BRP hit the Nail on the head with the New Geometry , you literally can sit and sidehill all day.

Id say X im also thinking of Selling my 2011 X and gettinga 2012X

UkrainianMudKing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So after riding the crap out of my 154" should I even look at a 163" what are the pros and the cons?

EMANAARON

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So after riding the crap out of my 154" should I even look at a 163" what are the pros and the cons?

lastyear i had an 09 Gade with a 141, Totalled it in november. Bought a 2011 X 154"( Love it Unbeleivable), Hopeing to get a 163" It just helps lots in the trees on the deep days, Im not so much for Climbing more for playing in the trees. I just dont like getting Stuck so Hopefully a 163 would help.

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For climbing and playing in the trees the 30 lb lighter and narrower X is the ticket. I would upgrade to fox floats over the kyb pro 40. Easy to install sone tunnel reinforcement if need be. My 11' X was always nudging my buddies 11' freeride today on climbs and sidehillingbut some of that is also the rider.

DownhillBill

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you would be more geared towards a summit. Personally I would go for the freeride, be nice to not worry AS much about bending stuff when you really decide to send it big. As per the stance...my 08xp on the inside setting is 44 and I still manage to side hill it and pull er over when i want to. So the 38 wouldnt seem that wide to me at all!:d:d

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help on this post. I was going back and forth and I think I decided today I am going to snow check a 2012 freeride. Sounds liek ti will be perfect for my riding style.

slednecks11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah they seem to be a really well build machine and i think they will be great with the new 2.5 inch track! only down fall is the ski stance is not as narrow as what the summits are

Foxstar45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you would be more geared towards a summit. Personally I would go for the freeride, be nice to not worry AS much about bending stuff when you really decide to send it big. As per the stance...my 08xp on the inside setting is 44 and I still manage to side hill it and pull er over when i want to. So the 38 wouldnt seem that wide to me at all!:d:d

The extra wide stance that ski doo makes for the race team is 42/44. You must be measureing from outside of the skis. I think you are supposed to measure from carbide to carbide. But im no rocket surgeon.

Top Bottom