New truck for towing

rlook

Reaction score
I picked up a 10,000 lb bumper pull RV this summer. Before buying I knew my F150 would be stretched to tow this trailer and it definitely is, so I'm now in the market for a second truck. I'm likely going with a 1 ton but undecided between gas or diesel. I will be doing trips through mountains and occasionally cross country distances and want to make sure we have an easy tow experience, so I'm leaning towards a diesel, but I've never owned one so wanted to see opinions here. The other choice I have is between Ford or GM. I currently really like my Ford but the local dealer is just ok, whereas local GM dealer is very good, so which should I give preference to? Any opinions that can be offered here would be appreciated. TIA

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I picked up a 10,000 lb bumper pull RV this summer. Before buying I knew my F150 would be stretched to tow this trailer and it definitely is, so I'm now in the market for a second truck. I'm likely going with a 1 ton but undecided between gas or diesel. I will be doing trips through mountains and occasionally cross country distances and want to make sure we have an easy tow experience, so I'm leaning towards a diesel, but I've never owned one so wanted to see opinions here. The other choice I have is between Ford or GM. I currently really like my Ford but the local dealer is just ok, whereas local GM dealer is very good, so which should I give preference to? Any opinions that can be offered here would be appreciated. TIA
You will definitely need a diesel. so many different opinions. But either a Duramax or super duty would be good. I personally don’t like Dodge. I can’t stand a stinky tractor engine that needs to be deleted to make power. V8 diesel is so quiet and smooth.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't overlook a gas, the new Ford 7.3 and GM 6.6 are getting decent reviews, paired with the new 10 speeds they are better than the old gassers.

Diesel definitely tows better, but with diesel fuel always being at a 10-30% premium over gas, and $10k higher purchase price for the truck the dollars and cents don't necessarily pencil out to be a whole lot cheaper for diesel any more.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gas wouldn’t be a bad idea if you’re only towing it a few times a year. It’s definitely nicer as a daily driver, especially diesel is pretty on par with premium gas. But if you tow a decent amount and long distances you’ll like and thank yourself for buying a diesel. I think ford has the best diesel if you don’t plan on deleting it. Seem to have the least amount of issues. Gm is expensive to delete from what I hear. I am a dodge fan so that’s what I’d buy personally. They look the best imo and are nice trucks to drive. But in reality all the new diesel’s are pretty problematic overall

Dazzler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We run all three, I agree with drew on the dodge, as well we are constantly working on the front end (steering) on them. I’m a GM guy but I do like the Ford interior over the GM, they both pull reasonably well, most my guys seem to prefer the GM’s over the Ford. Our repair bills were higher on the Fords last year but mostly due to the one truck..thinking it’s a lemon…. I don’t think you will go wrong with either one..

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What steering problem are you having with dodge? What parts are you replacing? Just curious.

Last edited:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have the new 6.6 gas GMC and it will tow that no problem. But i also have an older 2016 Duramax. When going through the mountains for any extended periods of time i would take the duramax hands down. But when it comes to regular driving the Gasser is way nicer for daily driving. fuel is also cheaper, but it uses more of it than the diesel when towing

so it sort of depends how much towing you will be doing and how important the performance of the diesel is over the regular driving.

the gasser will get the job done but the diesel excels at it when it comes to pure towing.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did Ball joints in my 15 2500 there times. It didn't like my plow.
3500 has been good so far with 66k now.

Ball joints are gonna be the same on any truck you buy. Probably all built by spicer.

And running a snownplow, ur gonna go through them.

Last edited:

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ball joints are gonna be the same on any truck you buy. Probably all built by spicer.

Unless you go back to 80s 1 tons. They all had kinpins. Much stronger. All the off road guys bought up those diffs though.

FanaticalKilla

Reaction score
I would buy gas unless your towing lots.

Maintenance costs and cost to entry are big on a diesel. Fuel cost is also way more.

Pro's and Con's to both. Go on somewhere like Fuelly. Research fuel mileage and put the numbers into calculators, see what ill work best for you.

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just got my 23 ford 6.7 work truck oil change, fuel filters and tire rotate and the bill was $608. So definitely steep on maintenance.

My personal 6.7 Cummins I perfer over the ford. Like the lugging power of the motor. Ford has lots of power but seems like the v8 diesels need the rpm.

I agree unless your using the truck for pulling all the time gasser better.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
"I will be doing trips through mountains and occasionally cross country distances and want to make sure we have an easy tow experience." = diesel.

Been in the same boat as you. Our TT is also about 10,000Lbs. We tow a fair bit in ther summer. Big trip to Kimberley every year. Used to tow with a Titan. Brochure said it could do it, stop on a ascale fully loaded wil get you thining....and let me tell you it only takes one harrowing experience to realize how much better the diesel can handle those situations. Used to be 3 to 4 fuel stops with the Titan going to Kimberley. With the diesel I am pretty sure we could make it all the way, but we do one fuel stop for a break and to make sure we have a full tank before going throug the mountains. We proably save 45 minutes to an hour not having to stop for fuel multiple times. I also find the diesel offers a much less stressful trip overall, which equates to a rested and happy driver upon arrival at the campground.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
"I will be doing trips through mountains and occasionally cross country distances and want to make sure we have an easy tow experience." = diesel.

Been in the same boat as you. Our TT is also about 10,000Lbs. We tow a fair bit in ther summer. Big trip to Kimberley every year. Used to tow with a Titan. Brochure said it could do it, stop on a ascale fully loaded wil get you thining....and let me tell you it only takes one harrowing experience to realize how much better the diesel can handle those situations. Used to be 3 to 4 fuel stops with the Titan going to Kimberley. With the diesel I am pretty sure we could make it all the way, but we do one fuel stop for a break and to make sure we have a full tank before going throug the mountains. We proably save 45 minutes to an hour not having to stop for fuel multiple times. I also find the diesel offers a much less stressful trip overall, which equates to a rested and happy driver upon arrival at the campground.

Titan is a half ton though.

3/4 ton and 1 tons have the same brakes, regardless if they are gas or diesel.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Titan is a half ton though.

3/4 ton and 1 tons have the same brakes, regardless if they are gas or diesel.

Buddy has a 3/4 ton dodge. Same brakes as my half ton stock.

Mine are way better than his now though. Lol

Top Bottom