2012 Etec issues - post what you have had happen (not what you have heard)

Dmf

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How much is the sensor, seems like i'm seeing this problem on a few threads and if it's not really pricey i'll carry a spare.

no need to carry a spare just carry a little piece of tin foil in your pack and if you get a engine light unplug the sensor and jam a piece of tin foil in the connector
to cross the wires. it will get you out, with the wires crossed the ecm is still getting a temp reading

fountaintirexp

Reaction score
Website
www.fountaintire.com
no need to carry a spare just carry a little piece of tin foil in your pack and if you get a engine light unplug the sensor and jam a piece of tin foil in the connector
to cross the wires. it will get you out, with the wires crossed the ecm is still getting a temp reading

I wonder what kind of info a piece of tinfoil gives the ecm? lol. I guess it would get you out to jump the sensor but i'd be worried about damage to the engine from a lean condition or damage to the ecm by a dead short. I'm not sure if the connector is powered though. Has anyone tried this successfully?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wonder what kind of info a piece of tinfoil gives the ecm? lol. I guess it would get you out to jump the sensor but i'd be worried about damage to the engine from a lean condition or damage to the ecm by a dead short. I'm not sure if the connector is powered though. Has anyone tried this successfully?

the etec will not let itself blow up no matter what readings it gets. but still i dont see how tinfoil works because it needs variable matching readings otherwise it will still be in limp mode

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
ask Ken, he can verify I am old...they nicknamed me father time at work but that might have been cause of all the overtime I worked lol I thought I was as old as you guys but noticed you have over 9000 posts and Ken has over 6000. I just turned 300 so must be younger than you guys.

Some say I'm as old as dirt! Obviously, that's not true. I don't really care how old people are but rather how old they act.
I'm not a couch potato although I doo spent some time at the 'puter as you can see from the # of posts.
Kenny is just a young chicken; lots of energy and enthusiasm!

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ask Ken, he can verify I am old...they nicknamed me father time at work but that might have been cause of all the overtime I worked lol I thought I was as old as you guys but noticed you have over 9000 posts and Ken has over 6000. I just turned 300 so must be younger than you guys.

Hell I don't have a full time job anymore. Lots of time to post now. Lol. Doug you and Bert look about the same age. Still young 'uns. Lol.

maximus

Reaction score
1. Jammed the recoil up as it would start one day?? Froze up?? Sat on the truck all day long then started first pull that night. 350km
2. Reeds were shattered 750km - warranty
3.Started running on 1 cylinder one day,checked spark - good, could keep it running with the throttle to the bars, then all of a sudden it worked again?? Water in fuel?? That was at 775km
4. Cracked Oil Tank 1300 km- First dealer no warranty (but outrageous bill), second dealer replaced without a question. Does every dealer have a different definition of bumper to bumper warranty?

Overall a fun sled.

gopherchoker

Reaction score
Not sure if mine counts being its a '11 600 but thought I would add:
1.Ate one belt in first 1500 km/ clutches get pretty hot for stock belt. Guys with '12 cover be thankful
2. Primary clutch is wearing hole in side panel. Again '12 cover would help.
3. secondary rollers shattered last trip. Actually seems to be a common problem (at least for us flatladers:wacko:) Thank god I had my tools and some high torque rollers!
4. dess cord. Always have to wiggle

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I only buy odd number yrs,2009/2011/2013 sorry I can't help you's. LOL

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Does every dealer have a different definition of bumper to bumper warranty?

Overall a fun sled.

Some try and work for BRP so to speak.... the manufacturer doesnt love warranty claims so some owners try to keep their claims down and dont go to work for you the customer and sometimes warranty pay is less then customer pay so more profit charging the customer,,, its such a battle lol

I also see stress marks on my oil jug.... same recoil problem,,,

biggest problem...... it just keeps going taking me deeper into the tree;s lol!!!!! sled is great!!!! track is great!! etec very nice love the crisp response....

maximus

Reaction score
Some try and work for BRP so to speak.... the manufacturer doesnt love warranty claims so some owners try to keep their claims down and dont go to work for you the customer and sometimes warranty pay is less then customer pay so more profit charging the customer,,, its such a battle lolQUOTE]

I think you are right on some thinking they work for BRP. I was quoted 2.5 hours for the job and BRP pays 3.4 hours for it. As i understand a platinum dealer gets their shop rate at the recomended hours and retail for the parts...so it really should be lucrative for the shops to do the warranty...After buying 2 sleds and refering 2 more sled sales in the last 6 months i was quite disappointed with the service...anyways I am driving west of the city now and it is awesome not too mention that there is no traffic to deal with.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The CVT cover needs some refinements. I have the small hole developing also. No big deal yet.

Another issue as shown in the pictures below and I'm assuming it is from something pressing on the side panel and moving the CVT cover while in the deep snow.

I noticed plastic on the outside of the primary and started investigating. The corner is melted off. I will get out the snips and cut that a little neater and a little higher.

View attachment 124988 View attachment 124989 View attachment 124990

I just installed the CVT cover on an 09. The kit came with a stopper plate that bolts to the toe hold and prevents the cover from pushing in on the clutch. Applicable to aluminum toehold only so 12 models get to have a hole worn in the cover. lol

BIGHORN 88

Reaction score
Just got back from mountains. 500 miles on 2012 163 etec. This thing just rocks. Only problem was recoil slow going back in on cold morning.unreal fuel milage. Very impressed.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I just installed the CVT cover on an 09. The kit came with a stopper plate that bolts to the toe hold and prevents the cover from pushing in on the clutch. Applicable to aluminum toehold only so 12 models get to have a hole worn in the cover. lol

I will look at something that can be added down there but in the meantime I'm just riding it and not too worried about a little plastic being rubbed off. Just making it a little lighter, eh!

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some try and work for BRP so to speak.... the manufacturer doesnt love warranty claims so some owners try to keep their claims down and dont go to work for you the customer and sometimes warranty pay is less then customer pay so more profit charging the customer,,, its such a battle lol

I also see stress marks on my oil jug.... same recoil problem,,,

biggest problem...... it just keeps going taking me deeper into the tree;s lol!!!!! sled is great!!!! track is great!! etec very nice love the crisp response....

Johnny says your sled was working pretty good down in Fernie. Have you mastered the Coal Mountain sidehills? :)

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Johnny says your sled was working pretty good down in Fernie. Have you mastered the Coal Mountain sidehills? :)

hahah I love that area, so many fun spots and ya get to feel safe for most the day!!!! Johny can ride he is hard to follow for sure,, especialy with 4 ft trenches everywhere lol and the tree's so tight there's only 1 option hahah

be good to ride one day with you??

maybe April one day with Chris and Johny... Im in Revy april 5-8th??

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hahah I love that area, so many fun spots and ya get to feel safe for most the day!!!! Johny can ride he is hard to follow for sure,, especialy with 4 ft trenches everywhere lol and the tree's so tight there's only 1 option hahah

be good to ride one day with you??

maybe April one day with Chris and Johny... Im in Revy april 5-8th??

Yeah deffinetly one of the top riders around. I don't even bother trying to follow those trenches! Chris has a spot he prefers, I actually like it too.

EasterWeekend is still up in the air for me. I start a new job the following week (16th) so I want to get a little more riding in before then as I doubt I will have any spring riding.

fountaintirexp

Reaction score
Website
www.fountaintire.com
Nice to see the fuel gauge still works. Low fuel light was on for last 2 hours of a really long day, 121 km in sicamous. filled up today and it took 36 litres, tanks 42 i think. Far from empty. Also anyone know what causes funky racheting noises on decel other than a loose track? Checked for any signs of rubbing on the tunnel but cant see any, not the clutch either.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice to see the fuel gauge still works. Low fuel light was on for last 2 hours of a really long day, 121 km in sicamous. filled up today and it took 36 litres, tanks 42 i think. Far from empty. Also anyone know what causes funky racheting noises on decel other than a loose track? Checked for any signs of rubbing on the tunnel but cant see any, not the clutch either.

Tank holds 40 liters. Don't rule out ice buildup in the tunnel. The noise will drive you nuts. Lol.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

which track? The 2.5" vibrates from time to time, especially on the trail.

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

The fuel light on my '12 was on for about 35mins.... Then I ran out. Seemed to work ok for me. I got 106km of a whole lot of wide open before running out. Pretty damn good in my opinion.

Top Bottom