2012 Etec issues - post what you have had happen (not what you have heard)

xcspmxzxp

Reaction score
Did you find a fix for the starter spinning? Mine does the same thing.

Nitrobkr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
1550km on my 2012 freeride so far this year. By far the greatest sled I've owned to date. The only problem I had was puting my knee through the oil tank twice haha my bad.

Pulled the pin and snowchecked a xm from Mr R.s today. The reason for the new sled is just for resale on my sled with lower kms it makes sense to unload my sled and get into another new one.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Haha you can make that 2 for our crew now. I told Corey today that you should be getting kick backs FS! Lol

no need for kickbacks as they look after me quite well and have been doing so since the 2008XP introduction.

Like I keep on saying, "the best little shop on the prairies".........

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2011 summit x 163 w/rpg stage 1 kit and shockwave helix no issues at all on this sled the odd little EE_Prom code but goes away after couple seconds. little bit of a bog hesitation put new clutching and pipe kit in and hesitation is gone. 4250 km's and finally on my second belt. seems like my oil gauge is really sensitive if I have 1/2-3/4 of a tank of oil left and tip it on its clutch side the low oil light will come on I usually just top my oil tank up evry couple rides seems to work. gas gauge on this one works well I found the sled if you are riding trail bit of bowls and trees I had nearly 150 km's before the light came on if i'm riding deep powder like i was in revy 2 weekes ago I was doing on average 70-85 km days and burning about 22-25 liters of fuel with the gas gauge reading half tank or a bar under. I do have a minor issue when i switch from low to hi beam it will sometimes make the sleds gauges go into restart mode were the gauges got peak rpm then back to zero then works fine something definately fishy in the wiring on these sleds.

A- When you are riding Hard in powder you are only Burning 22 liters of Fuel? WTF...This last spring I was in Blue river and ran out of fuel at about half a day, put in 20 liters burned that and filled up again that day before making it back to the truck By my estimate I burned about 62 liters of Fuel. Now granted I ride it harder than anyone in my group and its literally to the pin the whole time as we were riding about 3.5 to 4 feet of fresh but this still seems like terrible fuel mileage

As far as the hi beam low beam issue I have my hi/low switch on an after market toggle switch under the guage pod (because I managed to kick off the stupid high beam switch so I just did that instead of buying a whole new pod for my handle bar because you can't just buy the high beam lever) I have had no issues with any codes or CEL's. the only thing Ive noticed is almost every time I start it it beeps check key,but just a little nudge to the key and it
goes away?
Also I may be wrong but I think I heard something about the 11's tripping the low oil level even if they are not that low, I think the low level switch is set to high (I keep my oil tank full at all times anyway)
PS Heres a little pic to give you an Idea of why she's to the pin all day!(its not stuck thats just sitting there) 101_0072.jpg

Last edited:

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't trust my fuel gauge . ( I put in 26 litres and it still reads one bar off of full?? ) Head light flashes on an off for a 1/2 a second and then a audible beep ,just like when you start it up.(happens only when you decide to cut the trail down and invent your own shortcut through the tree's after 8:00 at night ) I am thinking its a low voltage blip when you are engaging the clutch on a downhill and it drags the engine down to below 1100 rpm .

Just a heads up, If you just fill it up sitting there normal the tank won't be Full. if you look at the tank it slopes upwards to the back and traps about 8 liters of air in there. I always fill it then compress the rear suspension as low as you can get it and usually it takes about another 8 liters.

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
mine just started this a few rides ago.. has ~1300kms now started maybe at ~1100kms. Could that still be computer related? Ran flawless before. I'll maybe pull the reeds and take a look. Its more than a hesistation, it will flat out die when it hits the higher rpms sometimes. Need to get it in somewhere for the piston update as well.

There is a piston update for the 2012 E-tec ??

gasface

Reaction score
i've just had the exact same thing happen with the starter first and only time this past weekend 11/24/12, i only have 285km on the machine. what ended up happening with yours? i phoned the dealership this morning they said they hadnt heard about any similar issues and there were no recalls on the starter. Mines a 2012 154" summit E-start. Trying to get fixed before Dec 7 big ride really dont want any issues, any help would be great thx.

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 12 summit 800R E-tec came out of allen on a sky hook mid november because it died and wouldn't start I was doing a climb and instantly it died just like I hit the kill, long story shortened it turned out to be a small metal peice of some sort that just happened to land on one of the exposed solder joints inside the stator behind the recoil,so just a heads up it might pay to check inside there if yours ever does that

(sorry about the crappy punctuation but my period key quit working on my keyboard)

rdgsled

Reaction score
I have a 2011 freeride etec that runs great for the first 15 minutes and then after a long run and the rpm drop to idle I hit the throttle and the cel comes on and the machine shuts down. It is almost as if the sled is operating on one cylinder. When I restart the warm up sign comes on and some times it runs fine or as soon as I hit the throttle it Boggs and cel shuts the machine off. The codes have been low or high voltage and I have been back to the dealer 3 times. Any advice would be appreciated. Also happens when going down hills at idle. When you get to the bottom and go to hit the throttle the engine sounds like it is not firing and cel shuts everything down.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2011 freeride etec that runs great for the first 15 minutes and then after a long run and the rpm drop to idle I hit the throttle and the cel comes on and the machine shuts down. It is almost as if the sled is operating on one cylinder. When I restart the warm up sign comes on and some times it runs fine or as soon as I hit the throttle it Boggs and cel shuts the machine off. The codes have been low or high voltage and I have been back to the dealer 3 times. Any advice would be appreciated. Also happens when going down hills at idle. When you get to the bottom and go to hit the throttle the engine sounds like it is not firing and cel shuts everything down.

Unplug your headlights and try it.

Hi and low voltage would lean me towards the stator. Especially on the 2011's.

Sent from my HTC-Z710a using Tapatalk 2

rdgsled

Reaction score
Unplug your headlights and try it.

Hi and low voltage would lean me towards the stator. Especially on the 2011's.

If it stops when the lights are unplugged what does that mean should be changed? Also I have installed an aftermarket toggle switch for my headlights similar to the hand warmer switch. Will that matter?

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are using a 3 wire 3 position handwarmer switch you must be able to shut the lights off completely. Do you get the cel with the lights off?

pipeliner72

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2011 x 163
1) chaincase grenaded 1st trip out no oil in it.
2) Ecu went on it 700 kms.
3) blew the motor 1500 kms.
2012 x 163
Awesome so far 500 kms minor stumbles at certain lower elevations.

rdgsled

Reaction score
If you are using a 3 wire 3 position handwarmer switch you must be able to shut the lights off completely. Do you get the cel with the lights off?

I will give it a try and let you know. Already dropped it off at the dealer so will have to wait to find out. Thanks for the quick response.

summitized

Reaction score
help........my 12 runs good for awhile then it feels like it loads up then and bogs when i try open it up...(in the mountains) im ready to control tree population with it!!

Top Bottom