2012 Etec issues - post what you have had happen (not what you have heard)

fountaintirexp

Reaction score
Website
www.fountaintire.com
Where are all the guys that were so much smarter than any doo engineer that said the clutch cover was a piece of junk? I'm sure there were a few guys that threw them in the trash before they even tried them but i never see any issues on threads like this related to hot clutches or for that matter blown belts. Just curious if i'm the only one with the un-modified cover still on?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Where are all the guys that were so much smarter than any doo engineer that said the clutch cover was a piece of junk? I'm sure there were a few guys that threw them in the trash before they even tried them but i never see any issues on threads like this related to hot clutches or for that matter blown belts. Just curious if i'm the only one with the un-modified cover still on?

1500+ kms with the clutch cover on and still using the stock belt. Time to re-set the deflection but the belt looks good to this point.

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Still running mine with 1000+ km no belt problems. Ever notice the pto side footwell doesn't hold any snow? Seems as though the cover is doing its job moving the heat out!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is obviously only a small sample of owners out there that use this forum but from reading others there are a few common issues that only appear attack certian sleds. Thanks for all your input!

As far as the clutch cover. Mine has a rather large hole in it. Started out small, it just keeps getting chewed away. I don't believe they ever tested the cover "off trail" being that anytime you lay the sled over in deep snow the sidepanel still pushes hard into the clutches and makes a hole in the cover. The 2011's could be modified to have a piece of metal to keep it from pushing, the 2012's already had that piece but it hasn't stopped mine from rubbing. Yes it still works. It exhausts hat air away from the clutches.

I still believe its a bandaid. The clutches are still working just as hard and generating just as much heat, but the heat is being evacuated out by means of a cover. I would rather have seen time invested into clutches that don't generate as much heat, then pair that with the clutch cover and you would possibly never have a belt fail!

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm still using the clutch guard. Not sure if its been damaged haven't looked.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

this is another true fact... I have only opened that side panel maybe 3 times. After the first few rides to adjust delfection, after 500 miles to clean out any clutch dust and wipe down clutch surfaces and last week to remove front bumper as my girlfriend tweaked the original one and noticed how much larger the chewed section is.

In its defense, had I left the foam in my side panels, maybe this wouldn't have happend. Maybe it would have been worse too.

puddle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
bout 450kms only for me

sled has been spot on

except
over greased recoil,,, no prob just a pain
and maybe this voltage gremlin without the e start??? warmers seem odd and left doesnt get too hot and thumb not too hot and my headlights must be hot as its melting my tint

etec just rips!!
track great
clutching fine
fuel mileage is untouchable

March should get me 500kms and april will I will get 600kms season has just begun woooot wooot

X2 Same issues. 1600km Love the Sled. OOOPS sorry. 2011 etec.

Last edited:

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I still stand by my thoughts that many issues I have "read" about on forums are simply the operator's lack of knowledge on the Etec. Many people are complaining that they have a falling RPM where the sled is not holding proper RPM's. Normally you would look at the clutching. Here is a list of items I have read about should anyone start to experience inconsistant RPM issues, WOT issues or a hesitation.

Pipe/Can sensor failures, but usually give a CEL
Voltage, usually gives CEL or battery light (2012's)
Reeds flaking (2011's)
Rave's not opening (rave' hoses pinched/colapsed or rave nut backing off) - **The hoses are not so much the issue as the check valve assembly gets too hot.
Plug wires failing causing coil fault, will run on one cylinder only
DESS tethers not making good connection, or moisture between contact, should give Check Key warning, but too much moisture will cause other issues.
Over rev (reving to quick) ECM protecting sled giving hesitation. I think this is a common one that people are trying to chase other reasons for it happening.
Potential with the 391 belt glazing, try 377.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is obviously only a small sample of owners out there that use this forum but from reading others there are a few common issues that only appear attack certian sleds. Thanks for all your input!

As far as the clutch cover. Mine has a rather large hole in it. Started out small, it just keeps getting chewed away. I don't believe they ever tested the cover "off trail" being that anytime you lay the sled over in deep snow the sidepanel still pushes hard into the clutches and makes a hole in the cover. The 2011's could be modified to have a piece of metal to keep it from pushing, the 2012's already had that piece but it hasn't stopped mine from rubbing. Yes it still works. It exhausts hat air away from the clutches.

I still believe its a bandaid. The clutches are still working just as hard and generating just as much heat, but the heat is being evacuated out by means of a cover. I would rather have seen time invested into clutches that don't generate as much heat, then pair that with the clutch cover and you would possibly never have a belt fail!

Ya mine is on no foam and starting to chew a bit. Belt looks great adjusted deflection.

Did you guys drill small hole to let water drain. I have noticed mine slip a few times.

Still have black marks at bottom like my 08.? Is this common too?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
The CVT cover needs some refinements. I have the small hole developing also. No big deal yet.

Another issue as shown in the pictures below and I'm assuming it is from something pressing on the side panel and moving the CVT cover while in the deep snow.

I noticed plastic on the outside of the primary and started investigating. The corner is melted off. I will get out the snips and cut that a little neater and a little higher.

IMG_0877.jpg IMG_0876.jpg IMG_0875.jpg

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Those pine needles for decoration Doug? Lol.

Hahaha. Just the debris from where and how we ride, I guess.

Maybe I should have cleaned them off and polished everything to have the ol' girl looking like new but that's not me!

I guess I could have put the CVT out on the snow and taken the picture, hey!

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I am dumped off laying in the snow beside my sled with it on it's left side engine running I can hear the clutch grinding away at the CVT cover. If you do this move at higher speed your body flys far enough to disconnect the tether and it isn't an issue.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2012 163X with 3" and E-start

this only happened 3 times. When I shut down the sled randomly,the starter motor was spinning. Not engaged , just the shaft turning

the only other issue i've noticed is that my throttle lever seems to always bring up in the handlebar.:cool:

ever find out what the problem was with the starter motor?? we just had one in our group do the same thing. Disconnected the batter and it still continued. Had to pull the battery for about 1min or better and it quit. But then it would start with the kill switch was on OR off.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am sort of old but I don't know about you. I don't know about the fast part; I'm thinking those guys are pulling your leg!

ask Ken, he can verify I am old...they nicknamed me father time at work but that might have been cause of all the overtime I worked lol I thought I was as old as you guys but noticed you have over 9000 posts and Ken has over 6000. I just turned 300 so must be younger than you guys.

Top Bottom