2008 Summit hood / panels.

Reaction score
I'm curious to see how it holds up over time. Keep us posted after a few rides please (or send me a p.m.) if you don't want to put up with the trolls.

Will do... was always part of the plan. I don't care about trolls... I'm hoping to have it finished this weekend or next depending on time and inclination.

Reaction score
In future, the minimal amount or tape you can put on freshly painted surface the better. Use more masking paper. Before you apply clear coat, make sure it is bendable with the paint you used. If not the paint can curdle and peel off. What type of primer/ sealer did you apply first?

This is good advice... and something I noticed on the hood panel. I had no masking paper so I had to use all tape. I will give it a light sand to even out the line between black and yellow and remove and tape lines, before clear coating. Live and learn... what do I know? I'm an IT guy and do this **** for fun lol. Perfection is never my goal, so disappointment t is rare. I already like it better than what was on there, and durability is really the only remaining question.

Reaction score
In future, the minimal amount or tape you can put on freshly painted surface the better. Use more masking paper. Before you apply clear coat, make sure it is bendable with the paint you used. If not the paint can curdle and peel off. What type of primer/ sealer did you apply first?

In reality, this was the entire reason for this thread. Tid-bits of info from people who might know a thing or two... instead I am just doing my best and learning as I go. Also, since the step-daughter prefers riding the 800, I've also got some father-daughter time, and a free slave :D

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
this is good advice... And something i noticed on the hood panel. I had no masking paper so i had to use all tape. I will give it a light sand to even out the line between black and yellow and remove and tape lines, before clear coating. Live and learn... What do i know? I'm an it guy and do this **** for fun lol. Perfection is never my goal, so disappointment t is rare. I already like it better than what was on there, and durability is really the only remaining question.

use newspaper if you have to ;)

Reaction score
use newspaper if you have to ;)

Good idea sir, although it's too late for this project as everything is already taped. Another thing is...... I haven't seen a newspaper (at my house) in a decade lol. Do people still get papers delivered?

Skegmeister

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bad Az? LOL. No I am not a IT guy, but I was wondering what your handle meant.
You have sharp wit, kinda made me smile whilst replying to your self. Good luck with your paint job. Do not hit anything when it is -10C or less, flex properties in the paint or not, there will be much flaking and cracking of the the applied paint.
Thats why super stickers (aka wraps) have been used on plastic body parts on sleds and ATV's.

Reaction score
Bad Az? LOL. No I am not a IT guy, but I was wondering what your handle meant.
You have sharp wit, kinda made me smile whilst replying to your self. Good luck with your paint job. Do not hit anything when it is -10C or less, flex properties in the paint or not, there will be much flaking and cracking of the the applied paint.
Thats why super stickers (aka wraps) have been used on plastic body parts on sleds and ATV's.

Thanks, I'll try my best to avoid collisions lol ... and thanks. I come here to have fun.. even if I have to do it alone ;)

I am as curious as anyone to see how it will last. Worst case scenario is that I can still wrap it at a later date, if I feel like it. I just enjoy the DIY aspect of things... (sometimes).

Reaction score
So here is another step in the progress. Black all painted and tape removed. Lines are 90% good. I now am debating with myself (I always lose) whether to use some pin-striping tape along the edges between the black and yellow, to get a perfectly sharp line before I clear coat it all.

Looks good enough to me. Better than the billboard it once was. Should all be done this weekend *knock wood*

WP_20151013_11_26_51_Pro.jpg

Reaction score
3 new pictures. Black and yellow all done, masking tape removed and pin-stripe tape added to sharpen the lines (and add a little shine). Clear coat is all that is left to do. I'll start that tonight. I also figured out how to remove the windshield and will be painting it as well.

Anyway... looks cool IMO. Diggin' it.

WP_20151013_20_08_58_Pro.jpg WP_20151013_21_03_59_Pro.jpg WP_20151013_21_59_26_Pro.jpg

Reaction score
What is the circular part still taped off, on the hood piece 101?

Well, since you asked...... that is the stock/standard BRP logo. I am undecided what to do. I may use that for a small Batman touch, or leave it as BRP. I'll decide before the weekend.

Reaction score
looks good! very impressed you managed to keep the sofa free of paint ;)

ahhh yes... I did most of the work in the garage... I just did the taping stuff inside, while watching hockey (at least last night)

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
3 new pictures. Black and yellow all done, masking tape removed and pin-stripe tape added to sharpen the lines (and add a little shine). Clear coat is all that is left to do. I'll start that tonight. I also figured out how to remove the windshield and will be painting it as well.

Anyway... looks cool IMO. Diggin' it.

I've had great luck painting the inside of wind shields. If you paint the inside of it flat black it will appear glossy on the outside.
IMG_0630.jpg

Top Bottom