1500 chevy and two sleds

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Half tons have the semi floating axle, That means a all of the weight is on the axle shaft, which can flex.
3/4 and 1 tons have a full floating axle, and a more robust set of bearings that do not put any stress on the axle shaft,(other than drive torque) but rather on the axle shaft tube.

Look at this picture and you can see.
a 1/2 ton with a deck and 2 full size sleds is just plain stupid.

217076d1256714232t-axles-live-dead-semi-full-floating-etc-imag0011.jpg

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The specs on your door jamb are correct and thats what you must go by. What ICBC has done is registered you for a higher GVW which thereby increases the amount you pay for your registration and insurance.

A half ton truck can be registered for just about what ever GVW you want, just costs more money and you have to follow more stringent rules but when the crap hits the fan should you be involved in an accident with your vehicle and you are found to be carrying, towing over the manufacturers recommended specification on the decal in your door jamb or what the vin number is certified for you will be found at fault for being overloaded and your insurance will not cover you.

oh so you cant tow a bobcat on a car trailer with a 1500! I THINK ICBC said that if the GVW on a trailer is more that 1400 kg it get commercial plates! but a car trailer has to have two 7000 pound axles to carry a bobcat (so DOT says lol) sorry off the topic a bit but its my thread lol. I was looking at an inclosed 20 foot trailer! it would be well over 1400 kgs so I think it would get commercial plates. so I couldnt haul this behind my 1500 with electric trailer brakes? I dont get that!

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have a 2005 gmc 1500,with a aluminium sled deck,08 summit 800 and a 05 summit 800,fuel in both sleds,truck full of gas,went across the weight scales,rear axle did not pass for the gvw.rest of the the truck was border line.i would recomend go across the weight scale.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have a 2005 gmc 1500,with a aluminium sled deck,08 summit 800 and a 05 summit 800,fuel in both sleds,truck full of gas,went across the weight scales,rear axle did not pass for the gvw.rest of the the truck was border line.i would recomend go across the weight scale.

good to know. fords gvw is higher might just so make it.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I can put like 1400kg more on my rear axle but than Im over my GVWR, so does it really mean anything?

ok your gvw = 3901-your actual truck weight 3060 leaves you with a total of 841kg of actual weight you can add to truck, on front or rear axle not 1400 kg.

841 kg - 500 kg for sleds-113 kg for buddy leaves you with 228 kg for extras, not including snow and ice on truck or sled deck. you will be on the limit no matter what.

Last edited:

Poleman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why doesn't anybody ever factor in a common sense margin.
Cops don't pull you over and give you a speeding ticket if you're 10km over the posted speed limit. Don't you not think you would allow a 5% margin of error when weighing loads. Imagine a 1500 with a GVWR of 7000 lb and when you get on their mobile scales you weigh in at 7300 lb. Do you think they want to show up to court to fight it. I'd be arguing road gravel, snow and ice...things beyond my control and let the judge decide.

Thunderr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cops don't pull you over and give you a speeding ticket if you're 10km over the posted speed limit. Don't you not think you would allow a 5% margin of error when weighing loads. Imagine a 1500 with a GVWR of 7000 lb and when you get on their mobile scales you weigh in at 7300 lb. Do you think they want to show up to court to fight it. I'd be arguing road gravel, snow and ice...things beyond my control and let the judge decide.

It's your dollars, go for it.

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca

HAHA. apparently you have never spent any time at the scales...300# over would be a hefty ticket, and they dont need to show up in court, there is no arguement, you were overwieght, here is your ticket, have a nice day...

Commercial vehicles have to factor in all those items that you think you can argue, including fuel. If you have ice attached to your vehicle usually they will give you a chance to knock it off, but trust me, a super lame arguement to these guys...

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com

Alittle over on 1 axle is common (private or commercial sector). Nobodies perfect but atleast ones trying. Being over on your GVW leaves no room for arguement anymore. Especially if your DOT officer is fresh out of school :cool:

Last edited:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Wouldn't your common sense margin be do the math and not exceed the GVW in the first place?

seems like common sense to me at least.....

Work2Ride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was crossing the bridge by 214 place(50 zone), passed someone accelerated to 72 for like a second looked into my rear view mirror seen a cop and instantly came back down to 50. I was pulled over.

I thought about putting a deck on a truck, does it keep the crap off your sleds?

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
I love guys that are too cheap to buy a real truck and yet can afford top of the line sleds. There is a reason why GVWR s are there for vehicles. its called SAFETY!! Yours and mine as another driver on the road.

If you insist on driving a half ton then pull a little trailer behind it. Leave the decks for the big boyz. ;)

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Turns out, common sense isn't that common. Just sayin...

so many people say that, but yet I really think common sense is that common, I just think there are a lot of arrogant people out there who think they are fooling everyone else or just being cheap and not doing it properly because they think the rules don't apply to them.

Like the person I watched load up her sled in Golden last year, parked in the middle of the trailhead, blocked everyone, drove the sled right into the truck, half hanging out the back, and headed off down the road, no tie downs or anything. Obviously local from town, maybe she figured only going 5 kms that the rules don't apply or that she got away with it before, it'll be all good this time. She had enough common sense to strap her board onto her sled......

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so many people say that, but yet I really think common sense is that common, I just think there are a lot of arrogant people out there who think they are fooling everyone else or just being cheap and not doing it properly because they think the rules don't apply to them.

Like the person I watched load up her sled in Golden last year, parked in the middle of the trailhead, blocked everyone, drove the sled right into the truck, half hanging out the back, and headed off down the road, no tie downs or anything. Obviously local from town, maybe she figured only going 5 kms that the rules don't apply or that she got away with it before, it'll be all good this time. She had enough common sense to strap her board onto her sled......

Alright, that is nuts. Doesn't sound like common sense comes into this at all, as common sense would dictate that you always tie down your machine before driving. I still could never imagine, but I guess I appreciate my sled being in one piece for the season.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Alright, that is nuts. Doesn't sound like common sense comes into this at all, as common sense would dictate that you always tie down your machine before driving. I still could never imagine, but I guess I appreciate my sled being in one piece for the season.

well, like I said: "She had enough common sense to strap her board onto her sled......"

Just arrogance.

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well after hauling the two sleds all last winter and having Zero problems with the truck....and 2 road block inspections....and no tickets, I thought I would buy a nicer looking work truck. a 2500 with the box removed and a custom alum sled deck with adj sides.

just wanted to say I was going with the numbers I had on the papers and had zero problems at the road blocks. I guess those air bags made my truck look level or they thought that Yamy only weighted 400 pounds lol NOT! was just asked about my tires and once they saw the extra load they said great! I guess if you drive the new bling bling they love your money!

Top Bottom