1500 chevy and two sleds

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
Even with Airbags you are not allowed to have a sled deck with 2 sleds on a 1500 dodge?

Airbags do not affect the load carrying capacitly of a truck in any way. They are to assist 'levelling' the truck should you be heavy in the rear, and help to apply pressure to your front axle for better traction/control. Also keeps your headlights out of my eyes LOL

They dont make your load lighter by some sort of magic...But they do make a truck 'appear' like it can handle the load. Bottom line here, 2 sleds on a deck should not be carried on a half ton. Do people do it, yes, should they, no. Some guys cant afford a 3/4 or 1-ton so they make do...

Funny, that years ago, you would pull todays trailers with a half ton, but those old half tons carried what todays 1-tons carry...things have changed.

van isle

Reaction score
Funny, that years ago, you would pull todays trailers with a half ton, but those old half tons carried what todays 1-tons carry...things have changed.

That statement is so backwards older halftons where junk. Most new halftons are rated to tow as much as the older 1tons. Even there GVWR are almost the same it's just the all trucks crub weights have gone up just as much.

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
That statement is so backwards older halftons where junk. Most new halftons are rated to tow as much as the older 1tons. Even there GVWR are almost the same it's just the all trucks crub weights have gone up just as much.

LOL not sure how old you are but Im talkin 75-79 Ford half tons. AND...I didnt say they were 'rated' for it, I said everyone pulled todays loads with a half ton...

Reading is your friend...just sayin

Work2Ride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Airbags do not affect the load carrying capacitly of a truck in any way. They are to assist 'levelling' the truck should you be heavy in the rear, and help to apply pressure to your front axle for better traction/control. Also keeps your headlights out of my eyes LOL

They dont make your load lighter by some sort of magic...But they do make a truck 'appear' like it can handle the load. Bottom line here, 2 sleds on a deck should not be carried on a half ton. Do people do it, yes, should they, no. Some guys cant afford a 3/4 or 1-ton so they make do...

If I get a leveling kit on the front, and got rid of the 1500 decals on the side, do you think i would be alright gramps?

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
If I get a leveling kit on the front, and got rid of the 1500 decals on the side, do you think i would be alright gramps?

HAHA your such a jackass W2R...

Why dont you just take the 1500 stickers off and replace them with 3500 stickers. Should increase your payload by a few thousand pounds...

And if you can get a Monster sticker for the back window, it adds at least 12hp.

'Gramps'...Just wait until we meet LOL...by the way, I waited all day Saturday for you to pick up my sled and didnt see ya...

island rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I love guys that are too cheap to buy a real truck and yet can afford top of the line sleds. There is a reason why GVWR s are there for vehicles. its called SAFETY!! Yours and mine as another driver on the road.

If you insist on driving a half ton then pull a little trailer behind it. Leave the decks for the big boyz. ;)

It is against the law in bc to put a deck on a half ton truck with 2 sleds on it ............ because it is unsafe too do so . my opinion for all you cheap people out there is if you can afford a new sled ( man up and buy a real truck ) I am really getting tired of people asking this same question over and over again and then bitching that they got pulled over . this thread gets started at the begining of every sleding year I think some people need to pull there head out of there a?? give there head a shake clean the crap out of there ears and listen to what people are telling them , instead of trying to cheat the rules and laws a put every ones life at risk on the highways ....:realmad::realmad::realmad:

Im just sayin , its my opinion

Work2Ride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
HAHA your such a jackass W2R...

Why dont you just take the 1500 stickers off and replace them with 3500 stickers. Should increase your payload by a few thousand pounds...

And if you can get a Monster sticker for the back window, it adds at least 12hp.

'Gramps'...Just wait until we meet LOL...by the way, I waited all day Saturday for you to pick up my sled and didnt see ya...

LOL fuk, i went to look at this 700 dragon and the kid put 13 monster decals on it. Thats 156 extra ponies btw...

I swung by to pick it up but you were having your afternoon nap.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is against the law in bc to put a deck on a half ton truck with 2 sleds on it ............ because it is unsafe too do so . my opinion for all you cheap people out there is if you can afford a new sled ( man up and buy a real truck ) I am really getting tired of people asking this same question over and over again and then bitching that they got pulled over . this thread gets started at the begining of every sleding year I think some people need to pull there head out of there a?? give there head a shake clean the crap out of there ears and listen to what people are telling them , instead of trying to cheat the rules and laws a put every ones life at risk on the highways ....:realmad::realmad::realmad:

Im just sayin , its my opinion

I don't think there is an actual law for a deck and 2 sleds is there?, but pretty much 1/2 tons with an aluminum deck, 2 sleds, gear, fuel and passenger comes in at a little over 1800 lbs by my math. My sleds are light and this is what I worked out, probably close to 1900 or 2000 lbs for guys with stockers. Most 4 wheel drive 1/2 ton payloads are around 1500 lbs, so yes, this would mean that 95% of the guys out there with decks on a 1/2 ton are illegal. So long as you are under your payload, I don't think they can pas a law that states what you can and can't haul. If you have a 2 wheel drive, long box regular cab truck and can haul 2000 lbs, IMO you can haul 2000 lbs of whatever you want - firewood, soil, cement blocks, sleds, etc.

I agree, these threads are getting redundant now.

island rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think there is an actual law for a deck and 2 sleds is there?, but pretty much 1/2 tons with an aluminum deck, 2 sleds, gear, fuel and passenger comes in at a little over 1800 lbs by my math. My sleds are light and this is what I worked out, probably close to 1900 or 2000 lbs for guys with stockers. Most 4 wheel drive 1/2 ton payloads are around 1500 lbs, so yes, this would mean that 95% of the guys out there with decks on a 1/2 ton are illegal. So long as you are under your payload, I don't think they can pas a law that states what you can and can't haul. If you have a 2 wheel drive, long box regular cab truck and can haul 2000 lbs, IMO you can haul 2000 lbs of whatever you want - firewood, soil, cement blocks, sleds, etc.

I agree, these threads are getting redundant now.

Im sorry , your rite there is no law , but here in bc you will get pulled over with 2 sleds on a deck on the back of a long box half ton ..... if its a short box you will be getting a ticket ... the reason is that the cops and the dot know that the payload and gvw weights are so marginal that as you said 95% are over there legal limits and the other 5% only have 10 lbs to spare , and thats with no gas in the sleds , no rideing gear or passengers in the truck.

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya this is why I got pulled over 2 times and recieved NO tickets. Yes I said NO tickets. 1500 SHORTBOX wheel base (box removed) and a flat deck (with air bags) and extra load tires! that is all they asked about was my tires! one was DOT that stopped me and the other was a cop road check!

I was way under my GVW that my paper worked said and the truck drove better with the 2 sleds on it than with nothing on it. oh and it stopped better with the weight also. when I started this thread it wasnt to hear guys wine about a 1500 with 2 sleds on the back! Im now driving a 2500 that will haul two sled on the back (one yami tank)with 2 on a trailer.......and Im still under my GVW. it is just a number game! you can haul 4 sleds on a truck if your under your GVW.........it just a number game! the guy with a 3/4 ton and 40 inch tires has a harder time to stop loaded because of brake size but everyone has to raise their trucks and add the bling bling! it is all on how you drive your rig! so dont bitch about 1500 with 2 sleds unless you know 100% that it is over weight! mine was not and DOT seemed to agree since I got no ticket!

just my 2 cents!

tjrishel

Reaction score
It stopped better? Your right out to lunch! Go take a physics class.

ya this is why I got pulled over 2 times and recieved NO tickets. Yes I said NO tickets. 1500 SHORTBOX wheel base (box removed) and a flat deck (with air bags) and extra load tires! that is all they asked about was my tires! one was DOT that stopped me and the other was a cop road check!

I was way under my GVW that my paper worked said and the truck drove better with the 2 sleds on it than with nothing on it. oh and it stopped better with the weight also.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I was way under my GVW that my paper worked said and the truck drove better with the 2 sleds on it than with nothing on it. oh and it stopped better with the weight also. when I started this thread it wasnt to hear guys wine about a 1500 with 2 sleds on the back! Im now driving a 2500 that will haul two sled on the back (one yami tank)with 2 on a trailer.......and Im still under my GVW. it is just a number game! you can haul 4 sleds on a truck if your under your GVW.........it just a number game! the guy with a 3/4 ton and 40 inch tires has a harder time to stop loaded because of brake size but everyone has to raise their trucks and add the bling bling! it is all on how you drive your rig! so dont bitch about 1500 with 2 sleds unless you know 100% that it is over weight! mine was not and DOT seemed to agree since I got no ticket!

just my 2 cents!

LOL - you've been around long enough to know that these threads always go sideways!

I don't think anyone's saying you were overweight - I remembered when you started this thread that you had taken your box off.

You're dropping the weight of the aftermarket deck and box, and only adding back on a couple hundred pounds at most by making a deck above the frame. If I did this with my truck I'd probably be under the GVW too, most 1/2 tons probably would. Problem is I like my box too much to take it off. :)

I think a lot of people only read the last few pages where it turned into a chit show. I would think you are well under the GVW of the new 2500 as well, especially with an alum deck instead of the box.

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It stopped better? Your right out to lunch! Go take a physics class.

when the truck was empty and had to stop fast with no weight it was way to easy to lock up the wheels and 99% of the time our paved roads here have 1/2 inch of gravel on them.

so when you add weight, (sleds) the truck stopped way faster since the tires grabbed the road. plus I drive faster when the sleds were off.......truck climbed and stopped better on the snow covered logging roads. As for physics tjrishel....there is a differance between a pencil pusher and real life!

this thread should have died last year!

Top Bottom