1500 chevy and two sleds

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ask ICBC to give it to you in writing. Id be will to bet they wont.

Isnt the amount a truck can haul in the box, Or on a deck above the box (including the deck),called the "payload"? This would include what is on the hitch?

The GVWR is the Payload plus the GVW of the vehicle. It should all be on the door sticker of the truck, which is what the RCMP is going to go by anyways.

they did give me it in writing! it says right on my ICBC pappers GVW 3700 kg

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can you post a pic of your door jamb sticker?

Just last night I had a buddy almost go out and buy some old clunker steel deck for his 1500, I told him to just wait off a bit as he may not be legal to haul 2 sleds on it.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can you post a pic of your door jamb sticker?

Just last night I had a buddy almost go out and buy some old clunker steel deck for his 1500, I told him to just wait off a bit as he may not be legal to haul 2 sleds on it.

pretty sure not with a steel deck but a good alum. one could do the trick. and would have to be light sleds.

gforce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
and if you have a girlfriend thats over 400 lbs....stay home..eat cake..just sayin:beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Those are good specs.........i would go with standard payloads, as you'd never want to be near maximum payloads..... Frame structural, brakes, steering components and suspension components would be at max for periods of time........

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
those spec must be for a new 1500 because mine is a older 1992 1500. I know on my sticker it is much less than those specs. I just dont under stand why ICBC has put such a high GVW on my truck. I know it could not haul 2800 pounds in the box. but that is what the numbers say it can. I Know this is out to lunch but Im going to pull the box and build a light flat deck and haul 2 550 (fan) RMK trails. total weight 1000 pounds and put the two big pigs on the trailer. if I get stopped Im just saying my GVW is 3700 kg so what is wrong with my weight?

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
vin number is right on all tags! the door tag sticker just came off and is 100 % in tacked and readable. I have never seen one do this. it had zero glue on it. like those stickers with no glue that goes on glass with soapy water. Im going to keep it but it is not on there now lol. so if DOT weights me were do they get there weight facts from.....my ICBC papers? that I should be 1000-1500 pounds under?

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
I see you guys are all over the weights and limits in BC and I was just checking into this for a thread I have on a camper that has my truck overloaded. Here's a repost of the info from my other thread regarding payload and axle weights in BC. Pay particular attention to anything manufactured prior to 2001 as they don't have the same limts placed on them as new vehicles do.

In BC, I spoke with a senior person at DOT Compliance and they will reclassify personal vehicles and trailer once they exceed 5000 kilograms on the truck and 1600 kilograms on a trailer if manufactured after 2001. They went on to say that they don't normally pursue personal/recreational vehicles unless they look far overloaded and if they do, they go by the sticker on the door. The inspectors are allowed to exercise personal discretion as written within this law so if they see someone has upgraded suspension, wheels and tires they can and often do give an exemption. This person went onto say that I should be fine with my rig given the changes made and said invoices to show the the upgrades would assist if the truck is scaled and exceeds rear axles limits.

Older trucks (prior to 2001) from what I am told can exceed the above commercial vehicle limit and what I believe they told me was that they are given a 5500kg limit. Don't make sense but that's what was said today? :dunno:

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
I think i would go by the door tag(the lower #)You don't want to be at the funeral of someone (or you ) With a worthless piece of paper sayin" They said it was legal to be hauling the weight of a 3/4 or one ton.Don't take this the wrong way ,,Just my two cents.

Last edited:

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The biggest reason most people say no deck and 2 sleds on a 1500 is most are 800 151" atleast, plus a ton of gear, jerry can, can get overloaded quick, nevermind the people with 4 strokes. 550 fan 136" will weight a ton less, and a light deck vs box and deck, and the weight is much lower which is a huge difference. Not to mention if it's kids and a wife vs 3 guys that's a big weight difference to. If papers say you legal, and you notice it pulls fine I wouldn't worry about it. But I would be checking your actual axle ratings to make sure they are ok.

Metalfusion

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One more thing to remeber is that it isnt just the ability to carry the weight but you also have to be able to stop it. 1/2 tons can and usually do have the same motor as a gas 3/4 ton but their braking capacity is alot less.

Im sure it can be done, but Im sure I speak for everyone when I say we dont want to hear of anymore sledder injured or killed because of bad decisions, or accidents.

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we drive 6 miles or 20 miles and all flat to queest or blue lake. I used to pull two big sleds with a suzuki sammy with 33 inch tires and never had a stopping problem.....just dont tail gate! or speed

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Weighed my 2004 Chev 2500 cc 4x4 gasser today.
With deck on and full of gas it was 3060kg. 1660 on front, 1380 on rear
Door sticker says GVWR 3901kg
GAWR FRT 2000kg
GAWR RR 2722kg

Dont know what the GAWR really means but I can have just over 800kg of sleds and gear

sledslut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
GVRW is what the truck can weigh. so weight plus load cant be more then the GVRW.

like my 1500 is 6690lbs. truck is about 4500lbs. dont know exactly but yeah. so doing the math.

6690 GVRW
4500 estmiated weight of truck

2190 would be estimated lbs of any load i can have.

just using numers iam sure the truck is more then 4500lbs

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Top Bottom